What should I look for when buying a fridge freezer?
When looking for a new fridge freezer, it’s important to consider the following:
Fridge freezers range from as little as £90 to a whopping £8,000 for the most luxe unit on the market. Some payment plans such as Buy Now Pay Later available under AO Finance allows you to delay payment by securing an item now but paying nothing for six to 12 months on products over £200.
Size and capacity
Whether you live in an apartment or spacious detached home, it’s important to consider where you’ll want to place your fridge freezer. Check the dimensions (height, width and depth) carefully before purchasing one, keeping in mind that the unit has to fit through the kitchen door too.
Slimline or narrow fridge freezers are around 54cm wide, whereas standard American-style brands are 91cm wide. Some units also come with reversible door hinges offering more flexibility.
Take note that the models on our list are standalone fridge freezers, not integrated models which are generally built into kitchen cabinets with cabinet doors attached to the front of the appliance.
In terms of internal space and storage, the average capacity of traditional free-standing fridge freezers is between 200 to 300 litres with a depth of 35 to 36 inches. However, this varies from one design to another. For instance, American-style fridge freezers such as the LG GSB760PZXV Frost Free Side-By-Side American Fridge Freezer on our list is made with double-fridge doors that open outwards for maximum capacity inside, whereas shallow or slimline models generally have a capacity of 150 to 200 litres.
Number of people in your household
With so many models available, it can be intimidating to pick the right size fridge freeze for your needs. Wider two-door models with a 50/50 split (50 percent for the fridge and 50 percent for the freezer) are generally good options for larger families, but it totally depends on whether you use the fridge or freezer more.
Your cooking style
Do you like to cook mostly fresh produce or is your freezer generally stacked with meals for the month ahead? Your daily schedule, cooking style and family preferences will largely determine the best split for yourself. If you eat a lot of fresh food, for example, a 70/30 split is ideal as the fridge capacity is larger.
If you regularly host guests and have the kitchen space, then you may want a fridge freezer with handy features such as a wine rack, ice maker and water dispenser such as the Samsung RS68A8830S9 Freestanding 65/35 American Fridge Freezer on our list. If, however, you don’t spend much time in the kitchen, then a smaller, simpler unit will work just fine.
While most of today’s modern fridge freezers come with a host of high-tech features, some have more than others. When it comes to choosing the right model for your home, consider which of the following features you’d like yours to have:
- Frost-free: This includes built-in technology to stop the build-up of ice or frost. Auto-defrost also means the unit has a self-regulating, automatic defrost function without you having to manually defrost the fridge freezer once a month.
- Smart technology: Some handy smart features include electric control panels at the top of the fridge for various functions such as temperature control, fast-freeze mode to chill food quickly, fridge fans to circulate cold air evenly, and humidity drawers to keep salad ingredients crisp and fresh. A few smart fridges are also synced to an app, allowing you to check and adjust the current temperature or receive notifications on your smartphone.
- Ice/water dispenser: Many fridge freezers come with simple, internal water dispensers that don’t require additional plumbing. Ice makers can vary from model to model but operate on similar principles. They generally use timers, thermostats, electric motors and valves to make the ice and drop it into a holding container where you can take it, or by placing your glass under the ice dispenser on the unit. Many give you the choice of cubed or crushed ice.
- Holiday mode: This feature allows you to empty your fridge freezer before you go away, while still maintaining an energy efficient, optimal internal temperature of the unit so that you can resume using it immediately when you get home.
- LED lighting: This feature is great because LED lights are the most energy-efficient yet produce less heat and offer brighter light for the same wattage as fluorescent lights. This makes them a good option for fridge freezers, especially for late night snacks.
- Reversible doors: If you’re set on your fridge freezer fitting into a specific space, reversible doors allow you to take the doors off the hinges and reverse them, so that they open and close fully in the direction you choose.
- Open-door alarm: This feature simply lets you know if anyone in the family has left the door open. It helps to ensure the fridge freezer stays at its optimal chilling temperature and is handier than you think.
What is the best energy rating for a fridge freezer?
According to the Energy Savings Trust, “Appliances are tested for how much energy they use during typical use. This gives them a rating on a scale of A to G, with A being the most efficient product of its class, and G being the least efficient. Some appliances use an older scale, from A+++ to G, with A+++ being the most efficient.”
Bear in mind that appliances are also categorised by their size, so it’s best to compare energy ratings in fridge freezers with similar dimensions.
How long should a fridge freezer last?
If you have a newer model that’s maintained well, your fridge freezer should last up to 10 years say experts from GloTech Repairs.
They suggest the following ways to extend the life of your fridge freezer:
- Keep your freezer well stocked as this retains colder air more easily
- Stock the separate parts of your fridge accordingly to distribute cold air evenly
- If your fridge doesn’t have frost-free technology, make sure to defrost it regularly
- Check your door seals regularly and make sure not to leave the doors open
- Keep your fridge freezer away from heat sources such as cookers and radiators
What is the best fridge freezer?
Based on our extensive research, we think the LG GBB92STAXP Freestanding Fridge Freezer is the best overall fridge freezer to buy. It’s sleek yet spacious and holds an award-winning energy efficiency rating. It’s jam-packed with brilliant tech features, considering its competitive price point, and promises fast, even cooling throughout the fridge and freezer.
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Best fridge freezer