This Asian Cucumber Salad is made with crispy sliced cucumbers in an Asian-inspired vinaigrette that is so simple to prepare you will likely want to make this all the time as a quick alternative to a side salad.
This recipe has been updated from January 2019 to include more information and improve photos.
Reading: Recipe for asian cucumber salad
This 5-Minute Asian Cucumber Salad is refreshing and simple to make! With just five easy ingredients, this is about to become your favourite side dish recipe. Perfect for outdoor gatherings or a delicious addition to any weeknight or weekend meal.
It’s hard to beat the crunch of this delicious sesame cucumber salad. No matter how you slice it (literally), the flavour is going to have you coming back for more. Your tastebuds will be taken on quite a ride and won’t be ready to be done, even as your bowl empties faster than you’re ready for!
The most difficult part of this entire recipe is deciding whether you want to eat it right away or cover it and let it marinate for a bit. If you’re asking me, I say enjoy this Asian cucumber salad recipe any way that you want!
The next time that you’re craving a light and refreshing dish, this cucumber sesame salad is it! You’re about to have a new go-to salad recipe, you just wait!
Ingredients & Substitutions
English Cucumber or Mini cucumbers – You can use whatever you prefer! (or whichever is on sale!)
Rice Wine Vinegar – A mild vinegar with a hint of sweetness adds a zip to this salad without being too overpowering.
Read more: Is Olive Garden safe for celiacs?
Sesame Oil – The nutty earthy sesame oil flavour stands out perfectly against the flavour of the vinegar.
Sea Salt – To your liking.
Black Pepper – To your liking.
Sesame seeds – This is optional but does add a nice crunch and looks pretty. You can also use roasted or black sesame seeds as well.
What cucumbers are best to use?
English cucumbers or mini cucumbers are my choices! I love using them because they’re a great size for biting, and they stay crisp as well. I also really like the dark colouring on them, too. It really pops if you don’t peel them all the way.
Garden cucumbers tend to have more seeds in them which make them a little bitter at times and also have tougher, thicker skin than English cucumbers. With English cucumbers, there is no need to peel them. And leaving the skin on gives this salad great colour
How to Store Cucumbers So They Stay Fresh Longer
- When you first bring them home from the grocery store remove them from any plastic packaging, wash them and dry them thoroughly. Cucumbers need to be completely dry to extend their shelf life and sometimes moisture can get trapped under the plastic wrap.
- When they are dry wrap them in a dry paper towel or dish towel. I do this with lettuce and cut peppers too. Wrapping them in a dry cloth keeps the humidity and moisture from the fridge away and reduces early deterioration.
- Put the wrapped cucumbers inside a clean plastic bag and close loosely. A little airflow is a good thing.
- Keep cool but not too cold. If they freeze they will go mushy right away.
- If you use half a cucumber simply cover the end with plastic wrap and put it back in the cloth wrap and bag as before.
- The cucumbers should last for up to a week to use in salads.
How To Make Asian Cucumber Salad
Wash and thinly slice the cucumbers and place them in a medium bowl. Add vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper and give them a toss.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve right away or the next day for a more intense flavour.
- The longer that you let this cucumber salad marinate in the fridge, the more flavour it is going to have. If you can be patient, it’s worth it! (but if you can’t, I totally understand!)
- Some people like to peel the sides of their cucumbers, but not all the way. To do this, you just need to use a peeler and peel one side, then leave a space and peel another section. Leaving a little bit of the green part of the cucumber adds to the crunch!
- If you want some other flavours added to this recipe, play around with it! Since this simple cucumber salad is light and refreshing, keep that in mind when you’re making it. Chopped peanuts would also be quite delicious to add to the mix!
Can you use shredded cucumbers instead of sliced cucumbers?
You can! I’m all about the texture of this salad recipe as it’s written but if you want to make more of a cucumber slaw, give it a try. You can grate the cucumber so that it’s shredded and then make the rest of the recipe as written.
Or you can use a potato peeler to make thin ribbon-like slices for a pretty and fun texture.
How to cut cucumbers for this salad
You’re going to want to hand slice the cucumbers to a 1/4 inch or thicker for a crunchier texture, and you can then use a mandolin to slice very thin rounds as well.
Use a mandolin or potato peeler to slice lengthwise and get larger chunks on a diagonal for more crunch and visual appeal.
How to Store Sesame Cucumber Salad
Leftovers that are made in cucumber and vinegar, and oil are crazy easy to store. Just add a lid and keep them stored in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for up to 3 days!
You can also cut up more cucumbers and add them to the mixture to prolong this recipe for a little bit longer.
Just note that you cannot freeze these Asian marinated cucumbers. They’re meant to be enjoyed fresh, not frozen. (If cucumbers are frozen, they have a very different texture when they unthaw and are not good!)
What to serve with this dish
This is why this simple cucumber salad recipe needs to be on your radar! You can literally serve this with any type of main entree. From chicken to pork, everything pairs perfectly with these flavours.
Other great cucumber recipes to try!
- Thai Cucumber Salad
- Japanese Cucumber Salad
- Easy & Zesty Quinoa Salad Recipe
- Gluten-free Fattoush Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad Recipe
- Frozen Cucumber Mojito Mocktail
- Cucumber Peach Salsa
- Cucumber Salad with Dill and Chickpeas
- Chopped Cucumber Caprese Salad
pin it for later!
For the step-by-step version of this recipe, check out the How To Make Asian Cucumber Salad Story.
For more information please see the list of Recipe for asian cucumber salad