This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
Roasting brussels sprouts in the oven is usually my go-to way to get those crispy edges, but recently I made these roasted brussels sprouts in the air fryer, and it just may become my new favorite way to make them! It’s much faster than the oven. This air fryer brussels sprouts recipe takes just a few minutes to prep, and they turn out perfectly crispy and golden brown after only 10 minutes of air frying.
If you like these, try my other healthy air fryer recipes! It’s great for other easy side dishes, like air fryer eggplant, air fryer zucchini chips, baby artichokes, air fryer okra, or air fryer broccoli. Or, pair with an easy main like air fryer salmon!
Can You Air Fry Brussels Sprouts?
Yes, and cooking brussels sprouts in the air fryer is a great way to make them! It’s quick, easy, and they taste nice and crispy. If you don’t have an air fryer, these smashed brussels sprouts use your oven to create similarly crispy results.
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this brussels sprouts air fryer recipe, what each one does, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Brussels Sprouts – Look for brussels sprouts that are similar in size for even cooking. The cook time in this recipe is for smaller sprouts, so you may need to increase it if yours are larger. Either way, cut them in half lengthwise for the best caramelization, and remove any outer leaves that are wilted or browned.
- Olive Oil – I like extra virgin for the flavor, but any cooking oil, such as avocado oil, works great.
- Balsamic Vinegar – Adds sweetness and flavor. If you’re not a fan, you can skip this for plain air fryed brussels sprouts.
- Garlic Powder – This coats the sprouts more evenly than minced garlic would, plus it avoids burning.
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – I have a good starting point on the recipe card below, but you can adjust both to taste after roasting. Don’t wait to add all the salt and pepper until the end, though, or the inside will taste very bland.
How To Cook Brussels Sprouts In Air Fryer
This section shows how to make brussels sprouts in the air fryer with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Season. In a large bowl, drizzle brussels sprouts with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper. Toss together to coat the veggies well.
TIP: Preheat the air fryer. It doesn’t need to preheat as long as the oven would, but a few minutes is best for optimal browning.
- Air fry. Add brussels sprouts to the air fryer basket (I love this air fryer because it has a large basket!) and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss and air fry again. Remove and shake the basket to toss brussels sprouts, then cook for about 5 more minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
TIP: Cook time can vary depending on the size of the sprouts. Larger ones can take a few minutes longer. But be careful not to overcook, or you’ll get that bitter, sulfur flavor that gives brussels sprouts a bad rap.
How long to cook brussels sprouts in air fryer?
Crispy brussels sprouts in the air fryer take about 10 minutes to cook, or a few minutes longer for larger sprouts.
What temp to cook brussel sprouts in air fryer?
While oven roasted brussels sprouts work best at 400 degrees F, the air flow in the air fryer means a slightly lower temperature is fine. Cook your brussels sprouts in the air fryer at 375 degrees F.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why won’t my brussels sprouts get crispy?
If your brussels sprouts aren’t getting crispy, make sure they aren’t overcrowded in the air fryer. This will cause them to steam, instead of roast, which will result in brussels sprouts that aren’t crispy. Cook in batches if needed to ensure that there is adequate space.
Should you cut brussels sprouts in half before cooking?
Yes, I recommend cutting brussels sprouts in half before cooking, as it creates more surface area for them to caramelize and get crispy. Also, especially for large brussels sprouts, it also makes them easier to eat. (You can even cut larger ones into quarters!)
Are brussels sprouts healthy?
Yes! This air fryer brussels sprout recipe is rich in antioxidants, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus. Plus, they are naturally gluten-free, low carb, low in calories, and a great source of fiber.
Can you cook frozen brussels sprouts in the air fryer?
Yes, you can air fry frozen sprouts, but they won’t get as caramelized or crispy. Use fresh if you can.
- Parmesan cheese – Sprinkle some shredded parmesan over the sprouts after cooking, OR toss them in grated parmesan before cooking.
- Lemon – Swap the balsamic vinegar with a tablespoon of lemon juice (or lime juice) instead. You could add a teaspoon of lemon zest, too.
- Bacon – You can make air fryer bacon before or after making the sprouts, then chop and toss with the cooked brussels.
- Seasonings – Try adding Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, or simply crushed red pepper flakes, before roasting.
- Store: Keep leftover brussels sprouts in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: You can reheat brussels in the air fryer or the oven, at 375 degrees F. (If previously frozen, you can thaw them first or roast from frozen.) Reheating in the microwave is okay, but they will no longer be crispy, so I don’t recommend it.
- Freeze: Store in an airtight container or bag in the freezer for 2-3 months.
What To Serve With Brussels Sprouts
While they are delicious plain, feel free to serve up these air fryer brussels sprouts with balsamic glaze! And, here are some main dish ideas:
- Oven Seared Sirloin Steak
- Stuffed Pork Chops
- Crispy Roasted Chicken Legs
- Seared Pork Chops
- Pan Fried Salmon
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
If you like air fryer brussels sprouts recipes like this one, you might also like some of my other brussels sprouts recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- Fried Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
For more information, please see more information about Roasted brussel sprouts in air fryer