These Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are crispy on the outside, yet creamy and fluffy inside. Roasted easily in the air fryer, they are a nutritious and delicious side dish that is almost completely hands-off!
Roasted sweet potatoes are a fairly new addition to my family’s favorite side dishes. Quite honestly, neither of us cared for the plain baked sweet potato, but roasting them was a game changer for us.
Roasting them accentuates their natural sweetness. And the contrast of texture is amazing- they stay light and fluffy on the inside and the skin crisps up!
In this simple 15-minute recipe, I peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks, then toss them with oil and seasoning. A quick 10 minute roast is all they need in the air fryer. And I love that these get done in half the time it takes in the oven.
Let’s check out some nutritional information on these yummy potatoes:
Health Benefits of Eating Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes, along with their skins, have a variety of health benefits, including:
- They’re loaded with vitamins and minerals. Sweet potatoes are also full of fiber, which can help you to feel full faster and aid in weight loss.
- Sweet potatoes are full of antioxidants, which can help destroy free radicals. Free radicals are linked to a variety of chronic health problems, including cancer and heart disease.
- Full of beta-carotene, sweet potatoes can help boost your immune system. Beta-carotene converts to vitamin A in the body, which is important for keeping your immune system healthy.
- Sweet potatoes are also great for gut health and may even be able to help fight cancer.
Are Sweet Potatoes healthier than Regular Potato
While sweet potatoes are high in carbs, they are okay to eat in moderation if you have issues with high blood sugar, such as diabetes. They are lower on the glycemic index (GI) than white potatoes, though each variety of sweet potato has a different nutritional value:
- Orange sweet potatoes: Lower on the GI than white potatoes and contain more fiber.
- Purple sweet potatoes: Lower on the GI than both orange and white potatoes. They also contain anthocyanins, which may prevent obesity and type 2 diabetes.
- Japanese sweet potatoes: Contain caiapo, which can reduce blood sugar levels.
Which Sweet Potato to Use for Roasting
While there are several different type of sweet potatoes, whichever is your favorite is great for roasting in the air fryer. I personally use an orange Garnet or Jewel sweet potato, which are the easiest to find.
In addition to sweet potatoes, you only need a little bit of seasoning and oil for air frying. I use a simple mix of salt, pepper, garlic and a pinch of cayenne to season them, but you can add your favorite go-to seasoning. I have also mentioned more seasoning suggestions down below. For oil, I prefer to use olive or avocado oil.
Alright, let’s make some air fried sweet potatoes!
How to Cut Sweet Potatoes
- Use a vegetable peeler or a knife to peel the skin off of the sweet potato. (The skin is perfectly edible, so you can leave it on if you prefer.) (pic 1)
- Place the sweet potato on your cutting board with the long side facing up. Cut off the ends of the sweet potato, then cut it in half.
- Lie the sweet potato on the cutting board, with the cut middle of the potato resting on the cutting board. Make cuts all the way through the sweet potato, ½ inch apart.
- Cut the slices of sweet potato you just made into ½ inch cubes.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
I start by peeling and cutting sweet potatoes into ½-inch pieces.
Transfer sweet potatoes pieces to a large mixing bowl. Add oil and seasoning, and toss well until potatoes get evenly coated.
Preheat the air fryer at 400°F for 2 minutes. Spread the seasoned sweet potatoes in the fryer tray, in a single layer. You may have to cook these in 2 batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Air fry for 10-12 minutes, shaking the basket half way through, at about 5-6 minutes. Remove and check the sweet potatoes. For extra crispy, shake the basket, lightly spray with a cooking spray and air fry for another 2 minutes.
These air fried sweet potatoes has become one of our go-to side dishes for weeknight meals. They pair beautifully with Mediterranean Chicken, BBQ Ribs, Tandoori chicken and even these Indian Spiced Chicken Wings.
Of lately, we’ve even been enjoying these as a side with simple Indian meal combinations like Toor Dal and rice or Chana Dal and Roti.
Storing & Reheating
Storage: To store your sweet potatoes, place them in an airtight container or bag and keep them in the fridge up to 5 days.
Reheating: To reheat your sweet potatoes, cook them on 350°F in the air fryer for about 2-3 minutes until they are warm throughout.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
To cook your sweet potatoes in the oven, preheat the oven to 425°F. Spread the seasoned sweet potatoes evenly on an aluminum lined baking sheet in a single layer.
Cook for 25 minutes, flipping the potatoes after 15 minutes. Cook them for an extra 2-3 minutes for extra crispy potatoes.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Use a sharp knife when cutting: A dull knife means you’ll end up pressing harder to cut, which not only requires more effort, it also is more likely to slip and cut you.
- Cut them the same size: This ensures even cooking. To get a consistent size, I start by making cut marks that are ½ inch apart and then cut them through.
- Make them crispy: Make sure to spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer when cooking them, even if you have to make multiple batches.
- Shake the basket halfway: Don’t neglect to shake the basket halfway through the cook time to allow all the edges of each cube to be cooked evenly.
- Serve them right away: These roasted sweet potatoes get soft as they sit and cool, I find them the best served right away!
Try a Variation: Air fryer Sweet Potato Wedges & Seasoning Options
- Sweet Potato Wedges: You can use this recipe to make air fryer sweet potato wedges instead. Cut them in long wedges instead, season them and roast them in the air fryer at 400F for 12-14 minutes, shaking the basket half way through. You may have to roast them for 2-3 minutes longer to get the desired crispiness.
- Seasoning Variations: Try the following seasoning variations to better suit your meal:
- Indian: Toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, ½ teaspoon cayenne. Finish with a sprinkle of fresh lime juice.
- Mexican: Toss with 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Mediterranean: Use 1 tablespoon oil, 1 teaspoon paprika, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sweet: Toss potatoes in 1 tablespoon oil, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon brown sugar
More Air Fryer Vegetables from my Kitchen
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- French Fries in Air fryer
- Spicy Bombay Potatoes
- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Samosa Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
- Harissa Roasted Turnips
- More Air Fryer recipes including appetizers, entrees and desserts.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below! For more quick & easy recipes, FOLLOW ME on Facebook,Instagram, Pinterest and Youtube.
For more information please see the list of Air fryer roast sweet potatoes