This is an easy and refreshing recipe for an arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette. This simple salad is so perfect for the warmer weather, and is perfect to serve as a simple side or appetizer.
The homemade salad dressing comes together in a matter of minutes with just a few simple ingredients. Lemon vinaigrette is vegan and gluten free!
I keep salads simple and fresh. There’s no sense using a bottled dressing that has half the flavor for a savings of just 30 seconds.
That’s right, you can make this dressing in just seconds. Pour, shake and toss! This salad contains no added preservatives, salt or sugar so it’s a much healthier option as well as more affordable than bottled dressing.
Summer is all about simplicity for me. This salad is full of fresh and tangy flavors and takes just minutes to put together. It’s perfectly effortless and light whilst being flavorsome and fresh. It’s a great throw-together salad for easy entertaining.
If this isn’t enough summer flavor for you, may I suggest my lemon spaghetti with artichokes, or this Basil Lemon Pasta? Even our girls love it! In fact, don’t skip my complete guide to the BEST Lemon Recipes.
Use the drop down Table of Contents feature to navigate this post with ease.
I love lemon everything, and I’ve shared so many ways to include it in your kitchen – don’t skip the linked lemon recipes at the bottom of this post! Even more fun than that, did you know you can grow Meyer lemons at home? I’m showing you how, and it’s not as hard as you might think!
You can find more of my favorite homemade salad dressing recipes here – and you’ve got to check out this incredible spring salad mix recipe, Seven Layer Salad, this Handheld Endive Salad and my incredible roasted beet salad. I’ve even got a round up of 15 of the BEST vinaigrette dressings – there’s truly something for everyone!
Once you start making your own dressings, you’ll never go back to store bought. They make what could be a boring salad taste incredible!
It’s one of the best side dishes for fish and so much more. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Arugula Salad Ingredients
- Arugula – don’t hesitate to try this peppery, leafy green that holds up beautifully to toppings and dressings. Did you know that arugula isn’t a lettuce at all? It’s actually a member of the cabbage family!
- Parmesan Cheese – I enjoy the simplicity of this salad, using just fresh grated dry cheese to top it like Pecorino, Asiago or Parmesan. Truly, whatever I have in the refrigerator from a previous meal works here (like my tortellacci).
- Lemon Vinaigrette – Light and refreshing, it’s the perfect compliment. You can toss it or use a spray bottle to lightly spritz it.
- White Wine Vinegar – White wine vinegar adds a tang to the dressing and it is not as sharp or as overpowering as white vinegar. You can also make this with red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Olive Oil – Use a good quality olive oil that will add flavor and richness to this simple dressing.
- Lemon Juice – It’s always best to use fresh lemon juice for the most vibrant flavor.
- Black Pepper – Thick flakes of black pepper fresh from a grinder offer the most flavor and texture in this simple salad.
How To Make Lemon Vinaigrette
- Combine – Combine vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Shake – Shake well in a sealed jar or whisk vigorously in a bowl.
How to Make Arugula Salad
- Wash and spin the arugula and add to a plate or bowl.
- Top with the cheese and drizzle or spray with lemon vinaigrette. Add fresh cracked black pepper.
This recipe makes enough dressing for eight servings and is easily doubled and halved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Add a little protein! Top with Lemon Pepper Chicken, Lemon Pepper Salmon or Lemon Pepper Shrimp! It’s also perfect with this Panko Chicken.
More Delicious Ways to Use Lemon Vinaigrette
- Marinate Chicken
- Drizzle on Fish
- Tossed in Salads with Fruit
- Drizzle on Veggies or Marinate Veggies
How to Store
- Store loose or bunched arugula, wrapped in paper towels, in a plastic storage bag in your crisper drawer in the fridge. The peppery greens will keep for up to two days. Wash when ready to use.
- Pre-packaged arugula will keep, unopened, for up to five days in the fridge. Once you open the package, use it within a few days.
- This homemade lemon vinaigrette will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Low Carb
- Nut Free
Want more? Receive the best ideas directly to your inbox and connect on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
If you try this yummy lemon vinaigrette, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!