This easy Asian Cucumber Salad recipe is cool, crispy and refreshing and pairs perfectly with your favorite Asian recipes. The sesame oil and rice vinegar dressing is nutty and tangy.
The addition of ginger and red pepper flake gives this cucumber Asian salad lots of zest, while the maple syrup provides just a hint of sweetness. If you love cucumbers, this surely will become one of your favorite recipes.
Reading: Recipe for asian cucumber salad
You might also love this classic Asian Kani Salad or this general easy Cucumber Salad. It also goes well with these Asian Grilled Chicken Tenders and delicious Instant Pot Chicken Tenders.
What Is Asian Cucumber Salad?
Read more: how to make sugared walnuts for salad
Cucumber salads are popular around the world. When sliced and paired with a mild dressing, herbs and spices, this easy cucumber salad is a refreshing side dish, especially in the summer months.
While many cucumber salad recipes use a mayonnaise-based or creamy dressing, Asian cucumber salad is made with a rice vinegar and sesame dressing that perfectly compliments the bold flavors of Asian main dishes.
Why Make This Recipe
- Fast – Even if you cut cucumbers salt and strain them, this recipe comes together so fast. Prep time is just minutes.
- The Perfect Appetizer or Side – Asian cucumber salad is super refreshing. It is the perfect appetizer or side dish for any meal, especially on a hot summer day.
- Healthy – Cucumbers taste good and are good for you. The additional ingredients in this recipe fit just about every diet.
- Delicious – This is just a great recipe that is the perfect finish to an easy weeknight dinner.
- Cucumbers – Look for Persian, Turkish or Japanese cucumbers. English cucumber is a great substitute if the others are not available.
- Rice Wine Vinegar – Rice vinegar is mild and sweet. Good substitutes include champagne, white and apple cider vinegar.
- Maple Syrup – Pure maple syrup is a delightful natural sweetener. You can also use honey if not vegan.
- Toasted Sesame Oil – Asian cucumber salad sesame oil dressing is nutty and flavorful. You can substitute other oils such as avocado oil, but you will lose a bit of the nutty flavor.
- Ginger – Freshly grated ginger adds a savory, slightly spicy flavor. Fresh ginger can be stored in the freezer for months.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Adds a bit of spice to the salad. Use more or less, depending on your personal preference.
- Salt – Salt brings out the natural flavors in foods.
- Sesame Seeds – Adds just a bit of crunch to the Asian cucumber salad recipe. You can use white or black sesame seeds.
Ready to make this Cucumber Salad Asian? Gather your ingredients and I will show you…
How To Make Asian Cucumber Salad
Get the complete ingredients list and instructions from the recipe card below.
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumbers. Pat dry with paper towels and add to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, sesame oil, ginger, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Add the Asian cucumber salad sesame oil dressing to the sliced cucumbers and toss to combine.
- You can serve immediately or cover the Asian cucumber salad and keep it in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
- Before serving, garnish with sesame seeds and pepper flakes for garnish.
- Cucumber Asian salad is made with very thinly sliced cucumbers. To finely slice cucumber, use a sharp knife and cutting board or a mandolin.
- If you can’t find Persian cucumbers, you can use English cucumbers instead. You can also use regular cucumbers if Persian or mini cucumbers are not available.
- If you select thin skin cucumbers, there is no reason to peel them.
- Cucumbers should be very dry before making this Asian cucumber salad. Blot the cucumbers dry with a paper towel before adding the dressing.
- Score the flesh of each cucumber slice with the tines of a fork and more or the flavorful Asian cucumber salad dressing will adhere to each slice.
- If you have time, slice and salt the cucumbers and place them in a strainer for an hour or so.
- Prepare the dressing in advance and refrigerate before adding to the cucumbers.
- Chill the cucumbers in the fridge for an even more refreshing Asian cucumber salad recipe.
- If you add soy sauce, check for gluten content if you are gluten free and substitute if needed.
- Add Mix-ins – Add more flavor and crunch to the Cucumber salad Asian by mixing in roasted peanuts, sliced red onion, white onion or green onions, or sliced peppers.
- Add Heat – For a touch of heat, mix in a bit of red chili paste or sriracha.
- Add Garlic – Grind a garlic clove or two into a fine paste and add to the dressing.
- Add Herbs – Finely chop herbs and add them to the Asian cucumber salad. Some great options include cilantro and Thai basil.
- Add Soy Sauce – Soy sauce adds a delicious umami flavor. To keep this gluten-free be sure to choose a gluten free soy sauce or use Tamari. You can also use a soy sauce alternative such as liquid aminos or coconut aminos.
Prep And Storage
- Prep Ahead – Whenever possible, allow at least 20 minutes to slice, salt and strain the cucumbers before preparing the cucumber Asian salad.
- Store – Asian cucumber salad can be covered and stored in the fridge for several days.
- Freeze – Freezing this Asian cucumber salad is not recommended.
More Recipes You May Like
- Kani Salad.
- Chinese Chicken Salad.
- Asian Grilled Chicken Tenders.
- Teriyaki Salmon.
- Cucumber Tomato Salad.
- Rainbow Chopped Veggie Salad.
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Salmon.
- Air Fryer Asian Tofu Wrap.
- Instant Pot Hibachi Chicken.
- Iced Boba Coffee.
- Matcha Cucumber Cocktail.
Weight Watchers Points
There is 1 Blue Plan SmartPoint in one serving of this.
Thank you for reading my Cucumber Asian Salad recipe post. And please come visit again as I continue to slice, dice, and dream up affordable Air Fryer recipes, Instant Pot Recipes, Southern Recipes, and more. Thanks for supporting Recipes from a Pantry, food blog.
Read more: Top 17 what dressing goes on caesar salad
Get The Asian Cucumber Salad Recipe:
For more information, please see more information about Recipe for asian cucumber salad