This Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad recipe features three things that go together deliciously — potatoes, cheese, and bacon! This potato salad is a favorite in our house and served at many of our barbecues and summer parties.
With Father’s Day just around the corner, and it seemed only fitting that I share one of my Dad’s favorite things: my Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad recipe. This potato salad originated years ago with my husband’s sister who started making potato salad with bacon and cheese. I took it from there and ever since, I’ve been making my version of it for my family.
Reading: Bacon and cheese potato salad
My dad absolutely LOVED my potato salad. He always requested it and it always made him happy when I made it for our barbecues and get-togethers.
In 2008, my brother flew from California to my Dad’s house in Virginia, so my family and I drove 6 hours from our house to spend the day with them. I cooked the potatoes and the eggs before our road trip and when I arrived at my Dad’s house, I cooked up the bacon and finished making it. My Dad barbecued up some “chicky” as he called it. While this usually meant drumsticks or thighs because of how cheap they can be, this barbecue was special and he made chicken breasts.
At dinner, my Dad raved about my potato salad, like he always did. And, like always, he ate a 2-3 person serving. We still have no clue to this day where he packed away all the food he ate.
It was a wonderful barbecue. We reminisced, we laughed, we took photos…and we loved being with each other.
Read more: Lemon Kale Caesar Salad – Yellow Bliss Road
I didn’t know that this would be the last time my Dad would enjoy my potato salad.
I didn’t know it would be the last time I would spend time with him.
I didn’t know that the next time I would be at his house, he would be gone.
I’ve had several Father’s Day’s without him here and it’s still hard. Father’s Day was very important to him. He didn’t care about getting presents, but loved getting a call from each of us kids. I wish I could call him up today and hear him say one more time “I love you too sweetie”. His kids were truly his world and if anything comforts me this Father’s Day, it’s knowing that.
In honor of my Dad on Father’s Day, I am happy to share my Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad recipe with you all.
The first step in this recipe is washing and boiling the potatoes. I use russet potatoes usually, but have also used Yukon Gold or other varieties on occasion. I boil them with the skin on and when they are done, I drain them and allow them to cool completely. When they are cooled, I peel the skins off (using my fingers, but you could use a peeler if you prefer). Finally, the potatoes are cut into cubes.
Read more: List of 15 low cal salad dressing recipe
While my potatoes are cooking, I cook the bacon, shred the cheese and hard-boil the eggs. Everything is combined together, including mayonnaise and salt and pepper to taste.
While we often enjoy this potato salad recipe for Father’s Day, we also serve this potato salad during our cookouts for Memorial Day and 4th of July. It goes great with burgers, hot dogs or sausages, chicken, and even steak. I’d love to hear what you served it with — leave us a comment down below.
If you’d like a macaroni salad for your cookout, here’s one I recommend: Amish Macaroni Salad.
Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad Recipe
Want more Father’s Day recipes? Check these out!
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Bourbon Honey Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad – Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Crackers by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Please see more list about Bacon and cheese potato salad