- 1. Acai
- What are the health benefits of acai?
- Which ingredients blend best with acai in smoothies?
- 2. Matcha
- Which ingredients blend best with matcha in smoothies?
- 3. Camu Camu
- What are the health benefits of camu camu?
- Which ingredients blend best with camu camu in smoothies?
- 4. Cacao
- What are the health benefits of cacao?
- Which ingredients blend best with cacao in smoothies?
- 5. Goji Berries
- What are the health benefits of goji berries?
- Which ingredients blend best with goji berries in smoothies?
- 6. Maca
- What are the health benefits of maca?
- Which ingredients blend best with maca in smoothies?
- 7. Maqui Berry
- What are the health benefits of maqui berries?
- Which ingredients blend best with maqui berries in smoothies?
- 8. Almonds
- What are the health benefits of almonds?
- Which ingredients blend best with almonds in smoothies?
- 9. Carob
- What are the health benefits of carob?
- Which ingredients blend best with carob in smoothies?
- 10. Lucuma
- What are the health benefits of lucuma?
- Which ingredients blend best with lucuma in smoothies?
- 11. Cashews
- What are the health benefits of cashews?
- Which ingredients blend best with cashews in smoothies?
- 12. Chia Seeds
- What are the health benefits of chia seeds?
- Which ingredients blend best with chia seeds in smoothies?
- 13. Blackcurrants
- What are the health benefits of blackcurrant
- Which ingredients blend best with blackcurrants in smoothies?
- 14. Coconut
- What are the health benefits of coconut?
- Which ingredients blend best with coconut in smoothies?
- 15. Linseeds
- What are the health benefits of linseeds?
- Which ingredients blend best with linseeds in smoothies?
- 16. Pumpkin Seeds
- What are the health benefits of pumpkin seeds?
- Which ingredients blend best with pumpkin seeds in smoothies?
- 17. Sunflower Seeds
- What are the health benefits of sunflower seeds?
- Which ingredients blend best with sunflower seeds in smoothies?
- 18. Turmeric
- What are the health benefits of turmeric?
- Which ingredients blend best with turmeric in smoothies?
- 19. Vanilla
- What are the health benefits of vanilla?
- Which ingredients blend best with vanilla in smoothies?
- 20. Brazil Nuts
- What are the health benefits of brazil nuts?
- Which ingredients blend best with brazil nuts in smoothies?
- 21. Psyllium
- What are the health benefits of psyllium husk?
- Which ingredients blend best with psyllium husk in smoothies?
- 22. Cinnamon
- What are the health benefits of cinnamon?
- Which ingredients blend best with cinnamon in smoothies?
- 23. Mesquite
- What are the health benefits of mesquite?
- Which ingredients blend best with mesquite in smoothies?
- 24. Hazelnuts
- What are the health benefits of hazelnuts?
- Which ingredients blend best with hazelnuts in smoothies?
- 25. Ginger
- What are the health benefits of ginger?
- Which ingredients blend best with ginger smoothies?
Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that are praised for providing concentrated doses of vitamins and minerals which are essential for optimal health. Superfoods are a legendary addition to any smoothie because they bulk up the nutrient content, while delivering unbeatable flavours (when blended with the right ingredients).
The trick to crafting an epic smoothie is knowing how to mix and match your superfoods – it’s not as simple as throwing every superfood you can find into a blender and hoping for the best. To eliminate the guessing game, Craft Smoothie carefully selects the best tasting combinations of the organic superfoods listed below to complement our fresh fruit and vegetable-based smoothie recipes. These smoothie ingredients are delivered direct to your door, so you can craft our healthy smoothie recipes at home and get a varied nutrient boost every day. Find out what to expect in a Superfood Smoothie Box from Craft Smoothie.
Or if you’re interested in an alternative to superfoods in smoothies, check our the brand new range of Instant Superfood Breakfast Pouches from Craft Breakfast which can be served as an instant porridge or easy bircher muesli.
Now let’s introduce you to some of our favourite wholefood heroes, so you can find out why these superfoods are so super for you and your smoothies…
Packed with powerful antioxidants from the Amazon rainforest, acai berries are absolute legends of the superfood world. Acai has one of the world’s highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity) scores, meaning it can be used effectively by the body to help prevent oxidation and fight disease-causing free radicals.
What are the health benefits of acai?
- Contains amino acids which help support energy production, endurance and strength
- Naturally high in essential fatty acids which can support a healthy heart
- As one of the world’s highest ORAC foods, acai can help prevent free radical damage and reduce the signs of ageing
- Contains as much vitamin C as blueberries, as well as vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 and E
- Low in sugar and loaded with minerals, including iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and copper
Which ingredients blend best with acai in smoothies?
For a super antioxidant-dense blend, try combining cacao and acai together in a banana smoothie with an added source of protein and healthy fat, like cashews.
Not only is this detoxifying superfood packed with powerful antioxidants, Matcha also packs a punch of metabolism-boosting and mood-enhancing properties. So if you’re looking for a superfood that supports immunity, detoxifies the body, calms the mind and improves concentration, matcha is a must!
What are the health benefits of matcha?
- Matcha is packaged with antioxidants, including the powerful class of antioxidant known as catechins. The catechin EGCg (epigallocatechin gallate) provides potent cancer-fighting properties.
- Matcha is rich in L-Theanine, an amino acid that has been shown to increase alpha wave activity in the brain, which may help promote relaxation and decrease stress levels
- Rich in chlorophyll, matcha is also a powerful detoxifier, supporting the elimination of toxins from the body
Which ingredients blend best with matcha in smoothies?
Matcha has a subtly sweet flavour, making it a super versatile smoothie ingredient. We love the energising kick matcha brings to our green smoothie recipes when blended with complementary superfoods like ginger combined with super nuts or seeds.
3. Camu Camu
When it comes to vitamin C, you’ll be hard pressed to find a superfood that packs in more of this powerful antioxidant than camu camu. The cherry-like berries of the camu camu shrub are found in the Amazon rainforest and are becoming rising stars of the superfood world because of their numerous health benefits.
What are the health benefits of camu camu?
- Camu camu is one of the world’s richest known sources of vitamin C with up to 60 times more vitamin C than an orange – which is beneficial for supporting optimal functioning of the immune system
- Camu camu’s powerful antioxidants and anti-viral ability can help fight against disease and promote optimal function of the liver
- Because of its potent anti-inflammatory properties, camu camu can offer pain relief and help soothe inflammation associated with inflammatory-related illness
Which ingredients blend best with camu camu in smoothies?
Camu camu is a super versatile superfood that can be blended in any smoothie for an added vitamin C kick to help protect your immuity. We love including camu camu in our winter smoothies to give you the best chance of defense against pesky winter bugs.
Cacao is an antioxidant powerhouse, which also happens to be one of the highest plant-based source of iron! It’s the purest and rawest form of chocolate you can get, so it’s packed with the antioxidants which are lost in the processing of cocoa.
What are the health benefits of cacao?
- The purest form of chocolate
- Contains the minerals of iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and copper
- Rich in antioxidants which protect from cell damage and fight disease
- Good source of magnesium which is beneficial for a healthy heart and brain
- Contains mood-boosting properties
Which ingredients blend best with cacao in smoothies?
Plant-based sources of iron (like cacao) contain non-heme iron which needs to be combined with vitamin C for optimal absorption. Good news for smoothie lovers – superfoods like goji berries and acai, or fruits like oranges and berries, are awesome sources of vitamin C and blend deliciously with cacao to ensure you get the maximum benefits of its iron forces.
5. Goji Berries
Goji berries are a super source of vitamin A and vitamin C, which are both essential for a healthy immune system. They’re also loaded with the beta-carotene pigment, which helps promote healthy skin.
What are the health benefits of goji berries?
- Awesome source of antioxidants, including vitamin A and vitamin C, which can help boost immunity
- Loaded with the beta-carotene pigment which helps promote healthy skin
- Low in calories and packed with fibre to support weight management and digestive health
- Contains the antioxidants, lutein, and zeaxanthin, which can help to protect and improve eyesight
Which ingredients blend best with goji berries in smoothies?
Try a goji berry and orange blended smoothie with a sprinkle of coconut for a satisfying breakfast smoothie and a decent dose of vitamin C! Or get crafty and top off your favourite detoxifying green smoothie with a goji flower.
Hailing from South America, maca is praised for enhancing energy levels, mental clarity, and sex drive. It’s also considered an “adaptogen” because it can help the body adapt to stressful scenarios like a busy schedule or a demanding job.
What are the health benefits of maca?
- Contains amino acids, phytonutrients, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals
- Packed with bio-available plant protein that’s easy for the body to digest
- Supports healthy hormone balance in both men and women
- Rich in calcium, maca contains a higher concentration of calcium than milk
Which ingredients blend best with maca in smoothies?
Maca powder blends brilliantly in smoothies with other South American superfoods like cacao or acai. Just add one teaspoon of maca to your breakfast smoothie for an energising superfood booster that tastes awesome too!
7. Maqui Berry
Maqui berries pack a serious health punch, thanks to their anthocyanins – the plant compounds found in purple foods which act as antioxidants to fight free radicals. With a subtle sweetness and a touch of tart, these super berries have a similar taste to blackberries but can only be sourced from the Patagonia region of Southern Chile.
What are the health benefits of maqui berries?
- Maqui berries contain the highest antioxidant value of any known superfruit (even more than acai)! They’re also a good source of heart-healthy omega fatty acids and contain vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, iron, and potassium
- Maqui berries contain anthocyanins, a potent antioxidant, which fights free radicals and can help protect against disease
- The anthocyanins in maqui berries exhibit powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce the risk of a variety of inflammation-related degenerative diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis
Which ingredients blend best with maqui berries in smoothies?
We include maqui berry powder in our superfood smoothies, blended with a superfood protein source, such as nuts or chia seeds, and other organic superfood powders like acai, blackcurrant or cinnamon.
The almighty almond is one of the world’s best whole food sources of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant which helps protect our cells against free radicals and slows down the ageing process. Consumption of almonds has also been linked to lower levels of bad cholesterol and reduced risk of heart disease.
What are the health benefits of almonds?
- Rich in vitamin E which is awesome for your skin and helps prevent cell damage
- High in protein, dietary fibre, and healthy fats
- Good source of magnesium and zinc for a healthy heart and brain
- Rich in calcium to support bone, hair and nail health – ideal for vegan and paleo diets
Which ingredients blend best with almonds in smoothies?
Almonds are a delicious addition to any smoothie, especially when blended with cacao and dates. You can’t go past an almond and banana blend for a good source of potassium, which is necessary for optimal blood pressure and heart function.
Carob is all-round champ of a superfood. Why? Because it’s the only superfood brave enough to rival the taste that chocolate brings to the table. Plus it’s naturally sweet so it can help calm your farm when it comes to sugar cravings.
What are the health benefits of carob?
- Healthy substitute for chocolate
- Packed with dietary fibre to support healthy digestion
- Rich in the bone-building mineral, calcium
- Good source of other essential minerals like potassium, copper, manganese and magnesium
- Contains antioxidants called polyphenols which help protect cells from free radical damage
- Carob is a valuable source of selenium which promotes healthy thyroid function
Which ingredients blend best with carob in smoothies?
If you’re a chocolate milkshake fan, try blending a smoothie with carob, banana, dates and cashews, and you’ll never look back!
Lucuma is a nutrient-dense super fruit harvested in Peru that’s rich in antioxidants, iron, zinc, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B3 and protein. Referred to as the ‘Gold of the Incas’, lucuma is praised for its immune-boosting health benefits and ability to speed up the body’s natural healing process. Lucuma has a caramel, maple-like flavour with a low GI index, making it the perfect superfood for creating nutritious salted caramel-flavoured smoothies!
What are the health benefits of lucuma?
- Lucuma is loaded with antioxidants which can help protect your immunity by fighting disease-causing fight free radicals
- Lucuma is a rich source of the beta-carotene, an antioxidant which our body requires for making vitamin A and regulating the immune system
- Lucuma has a naturally low Glycemic Index (GI) which helps maintain stable blood sugar levels, meaning your body stays fuelled for longer
- Lucuma is a nutrient-dense super fruit and contains minerals like zinc, iron, calcium, as well as essential vitamins, such as vitamin C and vitamin B3
- As a healthy source of fibre, lucuma supports a supports good digestion and bowel health
Which ingredients blend best with lucuma in smoothies?
For a salted caramel superfood smoothie, we love to blend lucuma with banana and superfoods like mesquite, vanilla, and cinnamon, plus nuts like cashews or almonds. It’s a game-changer!
Because we couldn’t stop at 10…
Packed with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals, cashews are king. Consumption of these super nuts has been linked to effective weight management and enhanced heart health.
What are the health benefits of cashews?
- Rich in magnesium which supports healthy muscle and nerve function
- High in monounsaturated fats which promote a healthy heart
- Concentrated with beneficial minerals, including copper, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, and zinc
- Rich in copper which plays an important role in the body’s utilisation of iron
Which ingredients blend best with cashews in smoothies?
Blend calcium-packed carob with magnesium-rich cashews and you’re in for a nutritious treat! Calcium and magnesium work closely together to regulate blood pressure and maintain a normal heartbeat.
12. Chia Seeds
Don’t underestimate the superpowers of these super tiny seeds! Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which promote a healthy heart and brain. They’re also one of the richest plant-based sources of protein, ideal for those wanting to boost their protein intake without relying on meat.
What are the health benefits of chia seeds?
- Awesome source of omega-3 fatty acids which are beneficial for heart and brain health
- Good source of the essential minerals, calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus
- High in protein and in dietary fibre which can support weight management
- Rich in antioxidants which can help prevent premature ageing
Which ingredients blend best with chia seeds in smoothies?
With a subtle nutty flavour, chia seeds can give your smoothies a serious nutritional boost without overpowering the other ingredients. Blend with cinnamon or ginger for an added anti-inflammatory kick! Or add to green smoothies to achieve a desirable smoothie consistency.
As a highly concentrated source of vitamin C, blackcurrants earn superfood status for their powerful antioxidant properties. Blackcurrants also contain health-boosting anthocyanins, the compound that gives these super berries their rich purple colour.
What are the health benefits of blackcurrant
- Blackcurrants are a rich source of vitamins, particularly vitamin C – blackcurrants contain up to four times more vitamin C than oranges, and double the amount of antioxidants as blueberries
- The purple colour of blackcurrants indicates the presence of the anthocyanins, which have incredibly strong antioxidant activity as well as other health-promoting qualities and can help strengthen your immune system
- Research has shown that blackcurrants can help improve eyesight, blood circulation, exercise recovery, and mental clarity
Which ingredients blend best with blackcurrants in smoothies?
We love using organic blackcurrant powder as a substitute for blueberries in any berry smoothie recipe, or as a substitute for acai in an acai smoothie bowl. They blend brilliantly with banana smoothies, or when combined with other purple-powered superfoods like acai or maqui berry.
Rich in fibre, antioxidants and nutrient-dense fats, coconuts are nutritional powerhouses which can help support digestive health and immunity.
What are the health benefits of coconut?
- Rich in nutrient-dense fats, promoting the slow release of energy
- Contains the medium-chain fatty acid, lauric acid, which supports healthy immune function and digestive health
- Contains antimicrobial properties which are beneficial for gut health
Which ingredients blend best with coconut in smoothies?
Coconut adds a nutritious twist to any superfood smoothie – blend with banana, berries, and cashews for satisfying summer breakfast.
Leave it to the linseeds – they’re the richest plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for a healthy heart and brain. Studies have also linked the consumption of linseeds to improved digestion, clearer skin, lower cholesterol and reduced sugar cravings. Super or what?!
What are the health benefits of linseeds?
- Richest plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids to support a healthy heart and brain
- Good source of soluble and insoluble fibre which supports digestive health and weight management
- Rich in the antioxidants, lignins, which can slow the ageing process
Which ingredients blend best with linseeds in smoothies?
Combine the healing properties of ginger with the omega-3 fatty acids of flaxseed and you’re in for a smoothie that’s beneficial for a healthy body and heart!
16. Pumpkin Seeds
Power to the pumpkin seeds! Packed with many a mineral, including phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, iron, zinc, and copper, pumpkin seeds are also an awesome source of protein. They’re rich in healthy fats and antioxidants like vitamin E, which help protect against disease and reduce inflammation.
What are the health benefits of pumpkin seeds?
- Good source of protein
- Rich in vitamin E which helps protect against disease and reduce inflammation
- High in magnesium to support bone health and blood pressure
Which ingredients blend best with pumpkin seeds in smoothies?
Pair some pumpkin seeds with cacao for a decent dose of magnesium, which is vital for a healthy immune system and bone health. Cheers to that!
17. Sunflower Seeds
Packed with vitamin E and folate, sunflower seeds are big supporters of a healthy heart. They’re also a good source of selenium, a mineral which works with vitamin E to help protect cells from damage. The magnesium and copper make-up of sunflower seeds means they’re good for your bones too, and can help ease arthritic pain and inflammation because they’re loaded with antioxidants.
What are the health benefits of sunflower seeds?
- Rich in vitamin E which helps protect cells from damage against free radicals
- Packed with folate to promote a healthy heart
- Good source of selenium which can help fight disease
- Contains beneficial magnesium and copper to support bone health
Which ingredients blend best with sunflower seeds in smoothies?
Bring on a deliciously creamy smoothie while increasing your intake of the essential mineral, copper, by blending sunflower seeds with cashews!
Turmeric is the yellow spice that you seem to be hearing more and more about these days – and for a good reason! Turmeric hosts a wealth of health benefits that make it a worthwhile addition to your smoothies. The secret to the powerful medicinal properties of turmeric is curcumin – the main active ingredient. Curcumin is responsible for the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which make turmeric a superfood and an awesome addition to your smoothies.
What are the health benefits of turmeric?
- Turmeric contains the bioactive compound curcumin which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- As a natural anti-inflammatory, curcumin can help fight inflammation, which is at the root of all disease
- Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant which can protect your body from disease-causing free radicals and can stimulate the body’s own antioxidant enzymes – helping it further in the fight against free radicals
- The medicinal properties of turmeric have been linked to improved brain function and reduced risk of brain disease and heart disease, as well as easing arthritic pain
Which ingredients blend best with turmeric in smoothies?
Just like a turmeric latte, we love blending our turmeric smoothies with ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla for added antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. The bioavailability of turmeric is increased when you combine it with healthy fats and black pepper, so we like blending ours with coconut to help the body absorb the curcumin and reap the anti-inflammatory benefits of a turmeric smoothie.
While vanilla is not typically considered a superfood, we’re here to convince you otherwise! Most people love vanilla for its distinctive aroma and sweet taste, but it has impressive health benefits too – provided you’re using the real deal. We only use 100% ground organic vanilla beans in our superfood smoothies, it’s not cheap or easy source, but it’s the best out there. Our vanilla bean powder is made from dried and powdered vanilla beans, without added sugar or alcohol.
What are the health benefits of vanilla?
- The primary chemical component in vanilla is vanillin, which is a natural antioxidant and helps protect the body from disease-causing free radicals
- In addition to its antioxidant activity, vanilla has been used for centuries to soothe inflammation
- Vanilla contains B-complex vitamins like niacin, pantothenic acid, thiamin, riboflavin, and vitamin B6. These vitamins are essential for various metabolic processes and helping the body convert our food into fuel
- Vanilla also contains essential minerals, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, iron, and zinc
- Ancient Mayans believed that adding vanilla to drinks would give aphrodisiac effects
Which ingredients blend best with vanilla in smoothies?
Vanilla is an awesome addition to almost any smoothie and complements ingredients like coconut, avocado, cacao, lemon or lime particularly well. For my all-time favourite smoothie with vanilla, check out these avocado smoothie recipes.
20. Brazil Nuts
Brazil nuts are cherished for being the world’s richest known food source of selenium, which acts as a powerful antioxidant for fighting inflammation and protecting your immunity. Although often referred to as nuts, Brazil nuts are actually seeds from the Brazil nut tree, one of the largest growing trees found in the Amazon.
What are the health benefits of brazil nuts?
- Brazil nuts are rich in selenium, which supports the immune system by acting as an antioxidant to reduce free radical cell damage
- The selenium found in Brazil nuts also supports healthy thyroid function, which in turn promotes a healthy metabolism
- In addition to selenium, Brazil nuts are a beneficial source of other important nutrients, including magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, calcium, potassium and iron
- Brazil nuts are a good source of vitamin E, a skin-protecting antioxidant which fights free radical oxidative damage to your cells
- Brazil nuts also contain several B-vitamins, namely thiamin, which supports a healthy functioning nervous system and is important for energy levels, metabolism and heart health
Which ingredients blend best with brazil nuts in smoothies?
Just two Brazil nuts a day is all that’s recommended to provide a good intake of selenium, so they’re a beneficial addition to almost any smoothie recipe and complement other superfoods like coconut or cashews nicely!
Psyllium is becoming an increasingly popular superfood, best known for its ability to aid digestive health and healthy weight management. Psyllium is a soluble fibre derived from the seeds of Plantago ovata plant. Being a soluble fibre, psyllium absorbs water as it passes through your digestive system and becomes a viscous compound which promotes regularity, stable blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels, and can aid in weight loss.
What are the health benefits of psyllium husk?
- Psyllium is considered a prebiotic, a substance which promotes the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut, which is essential for an effective functioning digestive system and healthy immune system
- Research has shown that soluble fibre like psyllium can help people better manage their cholesterol levels and therefore lower the risk of heart disease
- Psyllium can be effective in supporting natural weight loss as it absorbs liquid in your body, which can trigger feelings of fullness, and therefore help control the amount of food you eat
Which ingredients blend best with psyllium husk in smoothies?
Psyllium husk powder has a mild flavour and therefore can easily be added to any breakfast smoothie recipe to bulk up the fibre content and support your digestive health.
Cinnamon is a delicious super spice that has been cherished for its medicinal properties for thousands of years. We use organic Ceylon cinnamon (aka ‘True Cinnamon’) in our superfood smoothie boxes, derived from the inner bark of the plant Cinnamomum verum – which is unlike the cinnamon you’ll find in most supermarkets.
What are the health benefits of cinnamon?
- Cinnamon is an awesome source of potent antioxidants, such as polyphenols, which protect your body from oxidative damage caused by free radicals
- The antioxidants in cinnamon have anti-inflammatory properties, which can help lower your risk of certain diseases
- Cinnamon has been shown to significantly increase sensitivity to insulin, which can help lower blood sugar levels
- Cinnamaldehyde, one of the main active components of cinnamon, has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and may help fight infection
Which ingredients blend best with cinnamon in smoothies?
The delicately warming and mildly sweet flavour of cinnamon makes it the perfect addition to almost any breakfast smoothie recipe – whether it’s a super green smoothie or a strawberry smoothie, it’ll add a delicious antioxidant kick.
Mesquite is a mineral-rich, low GI superfood which is made from the dried pods of the North American mesquite tree. Ground mesquite powder has a sweet, slightly nutty flavour with a hint of caramel and contains iron, calcium, magnesium, zinc, potassium and the amino acid lysine – making mesquite the perfect smoothie booster.
What are the health benefits of mesquite?
- Mesquite is a good source of iron which is critical for supporting healthy red blood cell production and warding off anemia
- Mesquite is concentrated in calcium which is critical for bone health
- As a source of magnesium, mesquite supports efficient enzyme production, relaxation and a healthy heart and brain
- Mesquite powder also contains zinc, which is essential for proper immune function to support a speedy recovery from illness
- Mesquite powder is rich in dietary fibre which is key for a healthy digestion and maintaining a good gut flora profile
- Mesquite has a low glycemic index and therefore does not cause blood sugar spikes, making it the perfect sweetener for those with diabetes and blood sugar issues
- Mesquite powder is high in protein and is an excellent source of lysine. Lysine is the least abundant amino acid in plant foods, however it’s essential in supplying your body with all the protein building blocks it needs
Which ingredients blend best with mesquite in smoothies?
Mesquite blends especially well in superfood smoothies made with cacao, maca and mesquite.
Rich in unsaturated heart-healthy fats, high in magnesium, calcium and vitamins B and E, hazelnuts are a delicious super nut that can help reduce the risk of cancer, and aid in muscle, joint, skin, bone, and digestive health.
What are the health benefits of hazelnuts?
- Hazelnuts are naturally rich in phenolic compounds that have been shown to increase antioxidant protection in the body
- Unlike most other nuts, hazelnuts are an excellent source of folate which is s highly beneficial for pregnant women as it helps to prevent neural defects in babies
- Hazelnuts are a delicious source of plant-based protein and a rich source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, manganese and copper
- Vitamin E found in hazelnuts promotes proper circulation of blood also strengthens the immune system. Vitamin E is also required for maintaining the integrity of the cell membranes, therefore protecting the skin from harmful free radicals and preventing premature ageing
Which ingredients blend best with hazelnuts in smoothies?
If you’re looking for a nutritious alternative to Nutella, you can’t go past a hazelnut smoothie blended with cacao, banana and dates!
Ginger deserves super status for all the right reasons and has long been used in traditional medicine to aid digestion, ease nausea and support the immune system. It’s one of the world’s healthiest spices and is loaded with important bioactive compounds that have powerful benefits for your body and brain.
What are the health benefits of ginger?
- Ginger contains the bioactive compound, gingerol, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- The anti-inflammatory properties of ginger make it an effective for easing muscle and joint pain and reducing the risk of inflammation-related diseases
- Ginger helps kill off disease-causing fungi in the body due to its powerful anti-fungal properties
- Research shows that ginger helps promote stable blood sugar levels
- Ginger is believed to play an important role in supporting optimal brain health, thanks to its wealth of antioxidants and potent anti-inflammatory properties
- Ginger is also highly beneficial in supporting digestive health to prevent problems like heartburn
Which ingredients blend best with ginger smoothies?
Ginger is the perfect ingredient for a natural detox, especially when combined in a green smoothie or blended with superfoods like matcha, turmeric and/or cinnamon.
Want to give these superfoods a whirl in your smoothies, without the hassle of sourcing your own fresh ingredients and superfoods? Get started with Craft Smoothie to get healthy smoothie recipes and superfood ingredients delivered to your door!