- What to Know Earlier than Freezing Meals
- Is freezing meals unhealthy?
- Does freezing meals kill micro organism?
- Which meals freeze nicely?
- What’s one of the best ways to freeze meals?
- Are you able to freeze meals in Mason jars?
- How one can Freeze Meals
- Meat and Poultry
- Baked Items
- Staple Components
Are you making probably the most out of your freezer? We’ve compiled a set of freezer ideas that will help you retailer meals higher, forestall waste and benefit from your leftovers. We cowl meats, veggies and a handful of meals it’s possible you’ll not even notice you may freeze.
Subsequent up: Take a look at all these simple freezer meals you can also make forward of time.
Reading: Best way to freeze food
What to Know Earlier than Freezing Meals
Is freezing meals unhealthy?
Completely not! So long as it’s performed correctly, freezing meals will lock in vitamins and freshness so your gadgets are simply nearly as good because the day they went within the freezer.
Does freezing meals kill micro organism?
Read more: Best food at camden yards
Not precisely. In accordance with the USDA, freezing meals renders micro organism and different microbes inactive, thus preserving your meals. As soon as the meals is faraway from the freezer and begins to thaw, micro organism and different microbes will develop into lively once more and also you run the danger of foodborne sickness if the gadgets are disregarded between 40 and 140ºF earlier than being washed and/or cooked. Make sure your freezer temperature reaches 0ºF to freeze meals safely.
Style of Dwelling
Which meals freeze nicely?
Whilst you can technically freeze virtually something, some meals freeze higher than others. The highest meals teams for freezing are:
- Blanched greens
- Uncooked and cooked meat
- Cookies—we at all times maintain a batch of freezer-friendly cookies readily available to fulfill a candy craving!
What’s one of the best ways to freeze meals?
This varies a bit by the kind of meals, however listed below are some basic pointers on the way to freeze meals:
- Hold issues chilly: Be sure your freezer is 0°F. Use a fridge/freezer thermometer, like this one from LinkDm ($8) for accuracy.
- Don’t put sizzling meals within the freezer: If cooked, enable meals to chill fully. Putting heat meals within the freezer could cause your different meals to thaw.
- Wrap and seal meals tightly: Foil, plastic wrap and plastic freezer luggage assist shield meals from freezer burn. Attempt to take away as a lot air when wrapping to stop freezer burn. Or when you’re utilizing meals storage containers, ensure you’ve left sufficient area within the container for liquid to increase because it freezes.
- Hold meals removed from the door: Hold meals with a better danger of foodborne sicknesses, like meats, close to the again of the freezer, the place the temperature is extra constant. Reserve the door, aka the warmest place in your freezer, for gadgets like alcohol or freezer packs.
Read more: What is the best vitamix blender
Plus, comply with these tricks to forestall freezer burn.
Are you able to freeze meals in Mason jars?
Sure, you may freeze meals in Mason jars (or any glass jars) however they require some particular care as glass is susceptible to breaking. Right here’s what it is advisable to do to stop glass containers from cracking within the freezer:
- Decide the appropriate jar: Select a clear, thick-walled glass jar with straight sides. Skip freezing repurposed jars, like pickle or relish jars, and jars with partitions which might be rounded on the prime because the curved design limits the quantity of area meals has to increase.
- Depart headspace: Make sure that you’re leaving sufficient headspace for meals to increase. Whereas some jars have a freeze line etched into them, we recommend to err on the facet of warning and go away at the least an inch of headspace. For those who’re freezing meals for the primary time, be happy to depart an inch and a half or two to see how a lot it expands.
- Label, label, label: Jot down the contents and the date the meals was frozen on the jar. Write this on the lid or maintain issues organized through the use of these lovable canning jar labels ($10).
- Fridge first: Don’t place glass jars immediately within the freezer. Glass can shatter if the temperature modifications an excessive amount of too shortly, Place meals within the fridge in a single day earlier than transferring to the freezer.
Now that you’ve a few of the fundamentals down, let’s get to freezing some meals!
How one can Freeze Meals
Discover ways to freeze each sort of meals. Every of our useful guides will educate you the way to correctly retailer meals within the freezer, how lengthy frozen meals final, plus give ideas for while you’re able to prepare dinner.
Read more: New England’s 38 Essential Restaurants