This is my black bean salad with corn recipe! The combination of ingredients along with the blending of the lime, oil and balsamic vinegar makes this salad perfect for a BBQ or family picnic.
I love all types of salads but this black bean salad really stands out and is a constant staple in our house during the summer and fall months!
It tastes so fresh, healthy and has the balance of ingredients that one taste doesn’t stand out or overwhelm the others. And one of the things I most love about it, is it is so versatile that you can eat it as a side or mix it with some rice and enchilada sauce to make a fun and tasty bowl.
Vary the ingredients
- Don’t like corn? Switch it out with peas
- Like pinto beans better than black beans? You can do that too
- Don’t like purple onions? Omit it
- Love fresh parsley or cilantro? Add it (I usually do add cilantro but didn’t have any on hand)
I’ve made all the variations above and love them all!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- If you are using canned beans like I do here, make sure to thoroughly rinse and drain them
- When you cook the corn, don’t salt the water
- If you use fresh corn, try to keep the kernels intact as much as you can
- Use a 2:1 ratio of oil to vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste, I use a scant ¼ teaspoon salt and a few shakes of pepper
- As the salad sits, the flavors meld and become more delicious – it’s great leftover
How to make black bean salad
Gather the ingredients – tomatoes, black beans, purple onion and corn.
Cook 1.5 cups of frozen corn (according to the directions) in some boiling water so it can cool off before adding the corn to the salad. You can use fresh corn if you like, one to two ears should be ample.
Open 2 cans of black beans, rinse and drain them before adding to a medium sized mixing bowl.
Cut up a tomato into little chunks, dice ½ of a small purple onion, squeeze a few limes, measure out the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Add each of the ingredient above to the bowl, ending with the oil, vinegar, dried parsley, salt and pepper. Mix it all together with a rubber spatula.
Transfer the black bean salad to a serving bowl!
Close up of the big bowl.
Christopher wants some of the salad NOW so I spoon it out into some serving bowls to stop his whining. 😉
Doesn’t that look yummy?
I hope you enjoyed this black bean salad with corn recipe.
What is one of the staples that you always have in your house? Leave me a comment as I’d love to know.
Other popular salad recipes
- Pear and pomegranate
- Shrimp salad
- Cobb salad
- Farro salad
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this with recipe or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Originally published August of 2016.
For more information, please see more information about Black bean and corn salad with balsamic vinegar