Looking for a tasty, healthy, and colorful vegetarian meal? Look no further than this Black Bean Taco Salad recipe. Hi there, I’m Emily, and I’m a huge fan of Meatless Mondays. Not only are plant-based meals great for our budget and the environment, but they are also incredibly delicious. And this build-your-own salad is no exception. It’s a family favorite that will have everyone coming back for more.
Here’s What Goes into Our Black Bean Taco Salad
- Mixed Greens: Choose a variety of greens with a bit of crunch, like romaine lettuce and green leaf lettuce.
- Black Beans: Canned black beans add plant-based protein, fiber, and a creamy texture to the salad.
- Corn: Corn complements the black beans perfectly. Use fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
- Tomatoes: Colorful tomatoes add freshness and vibrancy to the salad.
- Green Onions + Cilantro: Add a layer of flavor with mild green onions and fresh cilantro.
- Avocado: Diced or sliced, avocado is a must-have ingredient for a creamy and delicious taco salad.
- Crispy Tortilla Strips: For an extra crunch, top the salad with crispy tortilla strips. Crushed tortilla chips work as a great substitute.
- A Creamy Salad Dressing: Choose a delicious dressing to tie all the vibrant veggies together.
Let’s Talk Dressing: The Best Salad Dressings for Black Bean Taco Salad
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing: My all-time favorite! This smoky, creamy dressing is a perfect match for the Southwest flavors in this salad.
- Tomatillo Ranch Dressing: If chipotle ranch isn’t your thing, try this tangy and flavorful tomatillo ranch dressing.
- Avocado Ranch Dressing: Take your love for avocado to the next level with this creamy and indulgent dressing.
- Cilantro Ranch Dressing: Simple yet packed with fresh flavors, cilantro ranch dressing adds a zesty kick to your taco salad.
Mix It Up! Try Adding Some of These Other Goodies to Your Vegetarian Taco Salad
- Grated, Cubed, or Crumbled Cheese: If you enjoy dairy, cheese adds a delightful touch. Try sharp cheddar or crumbled cotija.
- Jicama: Crisp, cool, and satisfyingly crunchy, jicama pairs beautifully with black beans and other veggies.
- Bell Peppers: Add diced raw bell peppers or cook them ahead of time for a softer texture.
- Green Chiles: For a unique twist, add canned diced green chiles or roast fresh poblanos for a smoky flavor.
- Carrots: Enjoy the crunchy texture and subtle sweetness of carrots in your taco salad.
- Cucumber: Add a cool and refreshing element to your salad with crisp cucumber slices.
- Red Onion: For a bit of bite, substitute green onions with finely minced red onions. They also add a pop of color.
FAQ + Tips and Tricks for the Best Black Bean Taco Salad
- Can I Prep This in Advance?: To keep your salad fresh, avoid adding dressing until just before serving. Dressing can make the greens soggy.
- Turn It into a Mason Jar Black Bean Taco Salad!: For meal prep or on-the-go meals, layer dressing at the bottom of a mason jar, followed by sturdy veggies, and top with lettuce. Pack tortilla strips separately.
- Is This Black Bean Taco Salad Vegan?: Yes, it is vegan-friendly when you use vegetarian dressings or make your own vegan dressings.
- What Else Tastes Good in Vegetarian Taco Salad?: Refer back to the previous section for more mix-in ideas to customize your salad.
- Can I Add Meat?: If you’re not vegetarian or vegan, feel free to add grilled chicken, shrimp, or any other favorite protein.
Craving More? You Might Also Love:
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing (Our Favorite For This Salad!)
- Tomatillo Ranch Dressing
- Instant Pot Black Beans (+3 Flavors To Try)
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Chipotle Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
- Vegan Black Bean Tostadas With Fresh Mango Salsa
- Vegan Plantain + Black Bean Burrito Bowls
- Black Bean Polenta Bowls
- Butternut Squash Curry
Enjoy your vibrant, flavorful, and satisfying Black Bean Taco Salad. For more delicious recipes, visit Family Cuisine.