Are you ready for a heavenly dessert that combines the best of both worlds? Look no further than the delectable Boston Cream Poke Cake. This yellow buttery cake is filled with a luscious French vanilla cream pudding and frosted with a rich chocolate ganache. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion!
What Are Poke Cakes?
If you’re unfamiliar with poke cakes, let me fill you in. These cakes are baked to perfection and then holes are poked all over the top. These holes are then filled with puddings, sauces, syrups, or even whipped cream. They result in a tender and moist cake that’s bursting with flavor. And the best part? They are super easy to make!
This Boston Cream Poke Cake is no exception. With minimal ingredients and effort, you can create an elegant and unforgettable dessert that will impress your friends and family.
When and Where Did Boston Cream Pie Originate?
Did you know that Boston Cream Pie has a fascinating history? It was created by Armenian-French chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856 and is now the official dessert of Massachusetts. The original Boston Cream Pie consisted of two layers of sponge cake filled with vanilla custard and topped with a chocolate ganache. Pure deliciousness!
How Long Do Poke Cakes Take to Make?
You’ll be delighted to know that making this sinfully delicious Boston Cream Poke Cake is a breeze. With just a few simple ingredients and about 20 minutes of preparation time (excluding baking), you’ll have a scrumptious cake ready to devour. It’s the perfect treat to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Ingredients You Need to Make Easy Boston Cream Poke Cake
To make this irresistible cake, you’ll need a yellow cake mix, French vanilla instant pudding, and chocolate frosting. And let’s not forget about the crucial step of poking the cake with love!
- 1 box yellow butter recipe cake mix & ingredients to make
- 2 small boxes French Vanilla instant pudding or pudding of choice & ingredients to make (If you want less pudding, use 1 box pudding instead of 2)
2 Chocolate Frosting Options:
- Pre-Made Chocolate Frosting
- 1 tub chocolate frosting
- OR Make Homemade Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips/chopped bar (½ lb or 1 ⅓ cup). For more ganache, use 12 oz. or 1 ½ cups chocolate chips/chopped bar.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream. Add ¼ to ⅓ cup more of heavy whipping cream if using 12 oz. (1 ½ cups) chocolate chips instead of 8 oz. (1 cup)
How to Make Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake
The process of making this scrumptious cake is as enjoyable as the final result. Just follow these simple steps:
- Bake the cake as directed on the box in a 9×13 baking pan.
- Prepare the pudding as directed on the box, after the cake has baked.
How to Poke Cake and Fill With Pudding
- While the cake is still warm, use the end of a wooden spoon to poke holes randomly through the cake about an inch apart.
- Prepare the pudding according to the instructions on the box.
- Spread half of the pudding over the cake, making sure to push it into the holes. Add the rest of the pudding and spread it out, leaving enough room at the top for the frosting.
- Refrigerate the cake for 1 ½ – 2 hours. Then, choose between using pre-made chocolate frosting or homemade chocolate ganache as the frosting.
Use Pre-made Chocolate Frosting
- Remove the lid and seal from the chocolate frosting and microwave it for 10-15 second intervals, stirring in between each interval, until it can be poured. Be careful not to overheat or boil the frosting.
- Spread the frosting over the cake and refrigerate it for 4 hours or overnight.
Make Homemade Chocolate Ganache Frosting
- Combine the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 2 minutes and stir. Heat for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the chocolate is fully melted and whisk until well incorporated and velvety.
- Wait for about 5-10 minutes before pouring the ganache over the pudding on the cake. Make sure the pudding is set before adding the ganache.
- The ganache will thicken as it cools and will become thick and fudgy when completely cool.
Storing Your Poke Cake
Poke cakes should be sealed or covered and can last up to 2-3 days after baking. For the best taste, serve it the next day and refrigerate any leftovers. This Boston Cream Pie Poke Cake is sure to impress your dinner guests or make any day special.
So, what are you waiting for? Give this Boston Cream Poke Cake a try today. Your taste buds won’t be disappointed!
More Heavenly Desserts!
- Overnight Cinnamon French Toast
- Strawberry Ice Box Cake
- 20 Heavenly Layered Desserts!
- No-Bake Strawberry Eclair Cake
- Pumpkin French Toast
- Death By Chocolate Poke Cake
This article is brought to you by Family Cuisine.