Brown rice and lentils is a delicious meal or easy side dish requiring only 5 ingredients and one pot. Healthy whole grains and legumes packed with protein and fiber and perfect for feeding a crowd.
It doesn’t get much easier, or healthier, than a basic lentil and rice recipe. This is one of my absolute favorites and you’re about to see why.
Lentils are a superfood, not to sound melodramatic, but it’s true. They may look like small beans to some, but these are some powerful little legumes. They’re loaded with protein, fiber, and super heart-healthy.
And, let’s not forget the rice. Yeah, it’s healthy but it’s also comfort food. So, when you add the two together you get an incredibly versatile recipe that’s savory, hearty, light, and so satisfying.
One final thing…this recipe is cheap. You can feed a crowd without breaking the bank and for a family the size of mine (I have 5 kids) that’s very important. So, stock your pantry and put this recipe on a regular weekly rotation.
Alright, that’s enough. It’ll take you longer to read this post than make the actual recipe. Let’s cook!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s all you need for this easy recipe…
- Rice: whole grain brown rice or brown basmati rice are my favorites
- Lentils: use green lentils or brown lentils
- Onion: cooked onion not only adds flavor but an aromatic essence as well
- Garlic Powder: works perfectly with the onion
- Liquid: water or low-sodium vegetable broth can be used.
Instructions For Brown Rice and Lentils
- Preheat a medium saucepan or large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft and begin to just turn brown.
- Add the rice, lentils, water or vegetable broth, and salt and pepper. Increase to medium-high heat. Bring everything to a boil then lower heat, cover, and simmer.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the rice and lentils are tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Keep in mind, depending on your appliance or cookware, the cook time may vary.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Although this recipe doesn’t call for it, toss in a bay leaf or two during the cooking process for adding an extra layer of depth and flavor.
How Do I Serve Brown Rice And Lentils
- Side Dish: Pair it with veggies like my Oven Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Sauce, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Sautéed Kale, Easy Maple Roasted Carrots, or Summer Squash Sauté.
- Main Dish: What makes this rice recipe different from others is how meaty and versatile it is. Top it with caramelized onions, my Tofu Sour Cream or Cashew Sour Cream, a little sprinkle of red pepper and it’s amazing. It’s very similar to Mjedra.
Top with some fresh veggies like sliced red cabbage, chopped bell pepper, sliced radishes, chopped green onion, or sliced carrots. It makes a simple, yet satisfying, spring or summer meal. The possibilities are endless.
FAQ and Helpful Tips
More Lentil and Rice Recipes
- How To Cook Lentils
- Perfect Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Homemade Vegan Meatloaf Made With Lentils & Oats
- Easy 1-Pot Vegan Lentil Soup
- Easy Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
If you make this recipe I want to know. So, please leave a comment below with a star rating. And, be sure and share a picture on Instagram with the hashtag #shaneandsimple. I want to see your work. Enjoy!