- Learn how to tie dye t-shirts
- Making ready to tie dye t-shirts
- Learn how to do completely different tie dye patterns
- Learn how to tie dye a spiral t-shirt
- Watch our step-by-step video on the right way to tie dye:
- Learn how to tie dye a chevron stripe t-shirt
- Learn how to tie dye a circle t-shirt
- Learn how to tie dye with ice
- Learn how to tie dye t-shirts with meals colouring
- Learn how to make pastel tie dye
- Learn how to wash tie dye t shirts
Studying the right way to tie dye t-shirts with issues in your family just isn’t solely a enjoyable craft and exercise to get caught into over the weekend however it’s additionally an effective way to re-use previous garments and switch them into one thing you’d put on once more.
Tie dyeing t-shirts is a type of artful vogue traits that all the time come again into model each couple of years. The flexibility of the print and the numerous methods you could tie dye t-shirts your self makes it an interesting craft mission for newbies as properly.
Reading: Can you tie dye with food coloring
We’ve created this step-by-step information that will help you create your personal distinctive tie dye patterns on t-shirts, however the identical strategies can be utilized on all types of materials and garments. From socks to denims, previous white shirts and all types of residence furnishings like cushion covers or dip dye napkins.
Learn how to tie dye t-shirts
To tie dye t-shirts, you’ll need:
- Elastic bands or string – we’ve used string all through as we had some already however elastic bands are nice for pace
- Pre-washed and nonetheless damp t-shirts (or one other merchandise you want to dye)
- Rubber gloves
- Cloth dyes, we’ve used a spread of Dylon cloth hand dyes in Paradise Blue, Ardour Pink, Ocean Blue, Sunflower Yellow, Tropical Inexperienced, Tulip Pink and Peony Pink
- Previous bottles or cartons with caps or spray attachments (plastic drinks bottles work finest)
- Heat water
- Giant and deep dishes or trays for dyeing
And these added extras will assist to create much more uncommon designs together with your tie dye:
- Cling movie
- Air or water-erasable pen
- Cooling rack
Making ready to tie dye t-shirts
- Start by mixing up the powdered dyes with heat water and salt, following the producer’s directions for the measurements. We made up 500ml in every dye color.
- Pour the dye mixtures into the clear bottles or cartons. Prime with a sprig attachment or use a push pin to create a gap within the prime of the previous cap to squirt the dye by means of.
- Be sure that the material or merchandise for dyeing has been washed and continues to be damp earlier than you start dyeing.
- Cowl all of your surfaces with a protecting sheet or, higher nonetheless, take your dyeing outdoors on a sunny day for less-mess. Tie-dying, with all its potential for mess, is a superb outside craft!
Learn how to do completely different tie dye patterns
There are a great deal of methods to create completely different patterns when tie-dyeing, most strategies use string or elastic bands to fold and form the material earlier than making use of the dye. Check out our step-by-step directions to create your personal psychedelic designs or daring patterns.
Learn how to tie dye a spiral t-shirt
1. Begin by twisting the centre of the t-shirt or cloth right into a spiral form.
2. Maintain squashing the t-shirt into the spiral form, finally gathering all the material into one massive, tight spiral ball.
3. Utilizing both string or elastic bands, collect the spiralled t-shirt collectively into six sections – you’ll be able to add extra sections in the event you’re utilizing greater than three colors.
Read more: How to clean wood kitchen cabinets naturally
4. Now it’s time to tie dye! Place the spiralled t-shirt into the bowl and apply your chosen dyes – for this mission we used Dylon’s Sunflower Yellow, Paradise Blue and Ardour Pink dyes. We’ve chosen to solely dye each different stringed-off part to go away a number of the white t-shirt on present, however it’s as much as you the way you resolve to dye your t-shirt. Permit the dye to soak in following the producer’s directions. Rinse off with chilly water after which it’s prepared for laundry.
Watch our step-by-step video on the right way to tie dye:
Learn how to tie dye a chevron stripe t-shirt
1. Start by folding your t-shirt lengthways in a concertina sample. We folded our t-shirt into 5, however you’ll be able to fold as many instances as you need. The less the folds, the less chevrons.
2. Utilizing an erasable pen, or a pen in the same color to your cloth dye, draw diagonal traces throughout the t-shirt each 10cm. Once more, you’ll be able to enhance this measurement for wider stripes.
3. With elastic bands or string, tie the t-shirt up within the route of the diagonal traces. Collect the fabric up tightly to ensure no dye can soak in beneath the string.
4. Proceed tying up the t-shirt alongside the diagonal traces alongside the whole size of the t-shirt till it seems like this.
5. Place the tied up t-shirt in a big dish prepared for dying. Utilizing two colors of your pre-mixed dye, apply every color to each different stripe. We used Tulip Pink and Ocean Blue for this mission.
6. As soon as tie dyed, depart the dye to soak in for so long as the producer advises. We wished a pale, nineties search for this prime so we solely left the dye on for 5 hours. Then rinse with chilly water till the water runs clear and it’s prepared for laundry.
Learn how to tie dye a circle t-shirt
1. Start by tugging up small sections of the t-shirt between your thumb and forefinger. Utilizing an elastic band or a chunk of string, wrap across the round part tightly and knot to safe in place.
2. Proceed tying off the circles everywhere in the t-shirt like this.
3. Fill a deep dish with the pre-mixed blue dye and dunk your tied t-shirt within the combination. For this mission we used Dylon’s Ocean Blue dye.
Read more: How to cook t bone steak in frying pan
4. Maintain pushing the t-shirt down into the dye till it’s utterly lined. Go away to take a seat for about 5 minutes.
5. Take away the t-shirt from the dye resolution and wring out any of the surplus dye. Wrap the t-shirt in a chunk of cling movie and place it on a microwavable plate. Microwave on a excessive setting for about 1 minute. The warmth will assist the dye take to the t-shirt and means much less ready round. Rinse in chilly water till the water runs clear and it’s prepared for laundry.
Learn how to tie dye with ice
1. Begin by stacking your wire rack excessive of your dyeing dish.
2. Scrunch up your damp t-shirt and prime with a giant handful of ice evenly unfold out.
3. Utilizing the powdered dyes, sprinkle straight on prime of the ice and t-shirt. For this mission we used Dylon’s Sunflower Yellow, Paradise Blue and Ardour Pink dyes.
4. Put the dish to 1 facet and let the dyes soak in because the ice slowly melts. You’ll see the colors deepen and run with the ice. Go away the colors to develop and dye for twenty-four hours. You would possibly want to rotate the t-shirt half means by means of and prime with extra ice and dye powder for larger protection. Rinse with chilly water till the water runs clear and the t-shirt is then prepared for laundry.
Learn how to tie dye t-shirts with meals colouring
For those who don’t have any dye at residence you can even use meals colouring to tie dye t-shirts. However, as a result of meals colouring is an acid-based dye, you have to use clothes that’s NOT constructed from plant-based materials like cotton and linen. As an alternative, use a polyester merchandise of clothes.
- Combine two cups of white vinegar to 2 cups of heat water and soak your clothes or cloth within the combination for one hour.
- Whereas the garments soak, combine eight drops of your meals colouring with 120ml heat water.
- Use this dye combination to create any of the patterns listed above.
- Go away to soak for eight hours earlier than rinsing in a salt water resolution – 120g salt to 120ml chilly water – till the water runs clear. Then the objects are able to be washed.
Learn how to make pastel tie dye
A simple technique to create a pastel color when tie dyeing is to easily dilute the dye with extra heat water or to go away the dye soaking into the material for a shorter time frame. Nevertheless this could create a pale look to your merchandise of clothes so, except you desire a t-shirt that appears prefer it’s a real classic piece from again within the day, go for an ombre sample to make a pastel tie dye look.
- Make up your dye mixtures in massive dishes or buckets, we’ve used Dylon’s Sunflower Yellow, Paradise Blue and Ardour Pink dyes.
- Dip your cloth, merchandise of clothes, or napkins in our case, into the bucket, leaving the highest edge free from dye. Take away from the dish and put aside for thirty minutes. Repeat, this dipping course of, decreasing the quantity of material dipped into the dye each time.
- On the final dipping, the underside 5cm of every serviette must be the deepest and darkest shade while the highest edge must be white. The dye sample ought to steadily change from white to pastel to vivid dye making a pastel ombre impact.
Learn how to wash tie dye t shirts
Studying the right way to tie dye t shirts is a great deal of enjoyable and you’ll just about do it with any merchandise of clothes – like child grows, socks, denims and even different supplies, like towels and desk cloths. Nevertheless, there comes a time when all these items must be washed, and that’s when issues can occur. You don’t need your contemporary tie-dye sample disintegrating within the wash, and even worse, the dye transferring onto different garments. Right here’s the right way to wash tie dye in 5 easy steps…
- Rinse the fabric with chilly water below the sink – After the dying course of, you need to have rinsed out the fabric anyway, but when not then return to this step to make certain.
- Fill the basin with heat water to set the dye – This can cease it from bleeding onto different garments when it’s put within the washer subsequent time. Combine in a small quantity of washing detergent into the water as properly.
- Go away it within the basin – Let the tie dyed materials soak within the combination of water and detergent for about quarter-hour.
- Wash the shirt once more below chilly water – However watch out to not rub it too arduous in any other case you possibly can threat rubbing off the dye. Then enable it to soak once more for an additional 10 minutes.
- Dangle it out to dry – If attainable, hold it out over the bathtub or within the rest room, to make sure that any leaked dye doesn’t discover its technique to carpeted flooring.
After these steps, you’ll be able to wash it within the machine however make certain to not wash the fabric on too excessive a temperature for the primary couple of washes.