Today I’m sharing my recipe for carrot raisin salad with pineapple. It’s full of tangy, sweet flavor from the fresh pineapple and the freshly shredded carrots give it a crunchy bite.
This recipe was definitely inspired by the Chick-fil-A version they used to offer on the menu. Since then, it’s been discontinued, but thankfully you have this recipe to fall back on. Plus, it’s a healthier version than what you’d find in the drive-thru.
This Carrot Raisin Salad is one you can make year-round for picnics, potlucks, and family gatherings.
Healthier Copycat Chicken-fil-A Carrot Raisin Salad
Everyone has their favorite order from Chick-fil-A, and mine used to be the carrot salad. Tangy pineapple, carrots, and raisins all tossed in a creamy dressing tasted just right on the side of a grilled chicken sandwich.
While my family doesn’t eat out often, Chick-fil-a is certainly a favorite spot for us. My kids love their nuggets and chick-fil-a sauce, and it’s where I first tried and fell in love with carrot salad.
You could say I like it enough to recreate the recipe using healthier ingredients. It took a try or two, but I finally nailed the flavor.
Ingredients for Pineapple Carrot Raisin Salad
Here are the ingredients and helpful recipe notes to make this carrot raisin salad without mayo.
- peeled carrots: to achieve the right texture, we are shredding whole carrots. I don’t recommend using pre-shredded carrots; they aren’t the same.
- pineapple: you can use fresh, diced pineapple or thaw out frozen pineapple and dice it up. Just make sure to save the juice!
- fresh pineapple juice: gives the salad a sweet, tangy flavor and reduces the amount of honey needed.
- non-fat Greek yogurt: a creamy and lighter alternative to mayonnaise.
- fresh lemon juice: adds a little acidity and helps brighten the flavors.
- honey: for a touch of sweetness, about a tablespoon is all you need.
- raisins: whether you use regular raisins, golden raisins, or dried cranberries- it’s up to you! If you want them to be a little more ‘plump,’ soak them in warm water while preparing the rest of the ingredients, then drain and toss them into the salad.
How to Make Carrot Raisin Salad with Pineapple
To give this carrot salad that fine texture, you will need to grate them by hand or with a food processor. It’s an extra step compared to using pre-shredded carrots but trust me; it makes a difference in the salad’s flavor.
Here’s how to assemble this salad:
- Shred the carrotsUsing a cheese grater or food processor, finely shred the carrots. Save time and shred the carrots beforehand, then store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Make the dressingIn a large bowl, mix the yogurt with pineapple juice, honey, and lemon juice.
- Mix it all togetherAdd the shredded carrots, pineapple, and raisins to the bowl and fold to combine.
- Chill outRefrigerate for at least 1 hour then serve.
If you’re making this salad ahead, refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. The more time it sits, the more flavor the carrots and raisins soak up. So good!
Watch this tasty side dish come together in this quick recipe video!
What to Serve with Carrot Raisin Salad
Something about carrot raisin salad screams summer, but it’s great any time of year. Below are a few dishes to enjoy alongside it:
- Copy cat Chick-fil-a Nuggets
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Healthy Turkey Burgers
For more information please see the list of Chick fil a carrot salad recipe