This recipe for Chicken and Bean Soup is a flavorful and protein-packed dish that will warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds. This savory chicken and bean stew has a surprise ingredient that adds an extra kick!
A Bowl of Comfort
I can’t express enough how much I enjoy a comforting bowl of soup. Apart from this delightful chicken soup with beans, there are other popular recipes you might want to try. How about a Vegan Potato Soup, a lovely side dish or light lunch? Or maybe a hearty Chicken Mulligatawny for a more substantial meal? If you’re looking for more soup ideas, check out our Soups category for a whole bunch of delicious inspirations.
Ingredients for this Flavorful Soup
To make this soup, you’ll need:
- Olive oil
- Chicken (breast meat preferred, but you can use your favorite cut)
- Fresh minced garlic cloves
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Beans (white, black, kidney, or a mix)
- Chicken broth
- Salsa (yes, that’s the surprise ingredient!)
- Salt and pepper
I have a secret ingredient in this recipe: fresh salsa. It not only adds spicy flavor but also allows you to pack in some veggies like tomatoes, peppers, and onion. It’s like a white chicken chili soup, but without the cream. A southwest chicken soup, if you will. You can choose the heat level of salsa according to your preference. I usually go for medium.
Here’s how you make this delicious soup:
- Start by sautéing the onions and chicken in a large soup pot. Then add the freshly minced garlic, which makes a noticeable difference in flavor.
- Next, add the beans. You can use just one type of bean if you prefer, such as white beans or black beans. However, I like to use a blend of three: black beans, kidney beans, and navy beans.
- Pour in the chicken broth. You can use a store-bought product or make your own broth if you have the time and ingredients.
- Give everything a good stir and let it simmer. I recommend cooking it for at least thirty minutes to allow all the flavors to develop. The kitchen will be filled with a warm and inviting aroma that will make your mouth water!
Toppings to Enhance the Soup
If you enjoy adding toppings to your soup, here are some delicious options to consider:
- Freshly chopped parsley or cilantro
- A dollop of sour cream or guacamole
- Chopped pieces of avocado
- Crumbled tortilla chips
Sometimes, instead of a bread basket, I love to serve this soup with zucchini Parmesan chips. It adds a delightful twist! Consider pairing it with a big salad dressed in our easy homemade balsamic dressing for a complete and satisfying meal.
More Healthy Chicken Soup Recipes
If you’re a fan of chicken soup, here are more healthy and flavorful recipes to try:
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Coconut Curry Chicken Soup
- Sopa de Lima – Mexican Chicken Lime Soup
- Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Chipotle Lime Chicken Soup
- Thai Curry Coconut Chicken Soup
This recipe was originally posted on April 16, 2013, updated on October 24, 2019, and updated again on July 27, 2021, with recipe notes, writing, and photos.
If you’ve tried my chicken and bean soup, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below to let me know how it turned out. I’m always interested in your feedback! Don’t forget to follow Family Cuisine on social media. We love pinning to Pinterest, sharing on Facebook, and posting mouthwatering pics to Instagram. See you there! 🙂
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.