If you’re looking for a hassle-free meal that the whole family will love, then this Crockpot Cream of Mushroom Chicken is the answer. The creamy mushroom sauce creates a mouthwatering gravy that pairs perfectly with buttered noodles, rice pilaf, or mashed potatoes. Plus, it’s a time-saver on those busy days when you don’t have the luxury of spending hours in the kitchen. Just set it and forget it – your perfectly cooked dinner will be ready when you return home in the evening.
The Magic Ingredients
You can use thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts or get creative and try boneless thighs or bone-in chicken. Just keep in mind that bone-in chicken will require a slightly longer cooking time.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Grab a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup from the grocery store’s canned soup aisle. Opt for the low sodium version if you prefer. Alternatively, you can make your own homemade cream of mushroom soup.
Enhance the flavor of the chicken with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.
To achieve an extra creamy sauce, add full-fat sour cream to the recipe. However, low-fat sour cream will work just as well.
Infuse the dish with a delightful flavor by using chicken broth. If you prefer, you can substitute white wine, but be aware that some people worry the alcohol may not cook off completely in the slow cooker. Alternatively, water can be used instead of chicken broth.
Garlic is the secret ingredient that adds a burst of flavor to this dish. You can either mince fresh garlic or use pre-minced garlic packed in oil.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
- Season the chicken: Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, paprika, and onion powder.
- Prepare the mushroom sauce: In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, and minced garlic. Stir in sliced mushrooms until evenly distributed.
- Slow cook it: Place the seasoned chicken into the slow cooker and pour the mushroom sauce over the top. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Serve it: Serve the mushroom chicken over buttered egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes for a satisfying meal.
Equipment You’ll Need
- Slow Cooker: A 6-quart slow cooker is ideal for this recipe.
- Kitchen Knives: Quality kitchen knives are essential for easy trimming of chicken and mincing garlic.
- Mixing Bowls: Opt for dishwasher-safe mixing bowls for convenience.
Tips for Make Ahead, Storage, and Freezing
Make Ahead: Since this dish requires only a few minutes of preparation, there’s not much that can be done ahead of time other than assembling the ingredients.
Storing Leftovers: If there are any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Freezing: Prepare the mushroom chicken and freeze it in a freezer bag or a freezer-safe container. Thaw it by placing it back in the slow cooker on low for a couple of hours or heating it in a saucepan on the stove.
This creamy mushroom chicken pairs wonderfully with egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. To complete the meal, serve it alongside a vegetable side dish like green beans, zucchini, or carrots.
Recipe Notes and Tips
- Chicken Options: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts work perfectly for this recipe. If you’re short on time, butterfly the breasts for quicker cooking (2-3 hours on HIGH), ensuring they reach a safe temperature of 165°F.
- Mushroom Choices: Fresh sliced mushrooms are ideal for this dish. Look for pre-washed and pre-sliced mushrooms in the produce section for added convenience. However, canned mushrooms can be used as a substitute.
- Thickening the Gravy: If you prefer a thicker sauce, create a cornstarch slurry by whisking together 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1-2 tablespoons of water. Pour this mixture into the crockpot, stir, and cover. The sauce should thicken within 10 minutes.
- Sour Cream Curdling: Sour cream can sometimes curdle in the slow cooker. To prevent this, add the sour cream at the end of the cooking time. Simply remove some of the broth, warm it up, whisk in the sour cream, and return the mixture to the slow cooker. Another preventive measure is to whisk in a couple of tablespoons of flour before cooking, although this method hasn’t been tested yet.
Need More Crockpot Chicken Recipes?
- Slow Cooker Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Crockpot Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Crockpot Lemon Chicken
- Crockpot Chicken Parmesan
- Slow Cooker Marry Me Chicken
- Crockpot French Onion Chicken
For more delicious slow cooker recipes, visit Family Cuisine.
This recipe was adapted from Yellow Bliss Road.