This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Crema Sauce is a luscious and tangy cream that will enhance the flavors of your favorite Mexican dishes. Simply mix the ingredients together and drizzle over tacos, enchiladas, burritos, soups, and more!
Elevate Your Mexican Cuisine
While Cinco de Mayo may have passed, the delectable flavors of Mexican cuisine are perfect for any time of the year. This Crema Sauce recipe, also known as Mexican Crema or Mexican Crema Sauce, adds a delightful finishing touch to your beloved Mexican dishes.
From tacos and enchiladas to burritos and bowls, I adore them all. The vibrant and zesty flavors, paired with the richness of chilis and chicken, shrimp, or fish, along with tangy and acidic salsas and accompaniments, create a harmonious blend of flavors.
However, what truly elevates Mexican cuisine are the wide array of salsas, creams, and sauces. Can you imagine enjoying a bowl of tortilla chips without a fresh salsa or chunky guacamole? Or savoring blackened fish tacos without fish taco sauce? The addition of lime crema sauce and a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro atop a tray of enchiladas is what takes a meal to the next level.
Mexican cuisine, with its chili peppers and cheese, is known for its rich and flavorful profile. That’s why a light, creamy, citrusy drizzle is the perfect complement.
This sauce is made with sour cream, heavy cream, lime juice, and salt—nothing more. If desired, you can use Greek yogurt as a substitute, but since it’s just a drizzle, feel free to indulge!
While I haven’t experimented with a vegan version, I imagine that using coconut yogurt and coconut milk would create an equally delightful sauce. If using coconut yogurt and coconut milk, I would suggest increasing the amount of lime slightly to ensure it maintains the tangy taste that I love.
You can even create an avocado version of this sauce, which is also scrumptious, by following this avocado crema recipe. Alternatively, add blended chipotle peppers for a smoky, slightly spicy twist.
Whichever variation you choose, be prepared for an explosion of flavor that will enhance your favorite Mexican dish. Personally, I think this sauce pairs exceptionally well with enchiladas made with either my green enchilada sauce or my red enchilada sauce. If you haven’t tried them yet, they make for a fantastic dinner tonight!
It’s hard to imagine a recipe with simpler ingredients than this lime crema sauce recipe, yet it still manages to deliver sophistication and deliciousness.
- Sour cream – Provides a creamy tang.
- Heavy cream – Thins out the sour cream.
- Kosher salt – Balances the flavors.
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed lime juice adds a tangy zing.
How to Make Crema Sauce
This lime crema recipe is incredibly quick and easy to prepare.
- Combine all ingredients – In a medium or small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, sour cream, salt, and lime juice until well combined.
- Chill – Loosely cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for a maximum of 2 hours. During this time, the sauce will thicken.
- Sour Cream – You can use creme fraiche for a more decadent version or Greek yogurt for a lighter option.
- Dairy-Free – While I haven’t personally tried it, for a lactose-free version, you can substitute coconut-based dairy alternatives. Use plain coconut yogurt and full-fat coconut milk in place of the sour cream and heavy cream.
Mexican Lime Crema Sauce is traditionally made with sour cream, lime, cream, and salt. However, there are a few ways to jazz it up:
- Chipotle – Add a tablespoon of blended chipotle peppers or a pinch of chipotle powder for a smoky and spicy flavor.
- Zesty – Amp up the lime flavor by adding a teaspoon of lime zest to the sauce. The combination of lime juice and zest takes the flavor up a notch.
- Lemony – While lime is ideal for Mexican flavors, you can make a lemon version of this sauce. Drizzle it over baked or grilled shrimp, fish, or even chicken kabobs.
- Avocado – If you love avocados, you’ll enjoy this Avocado Crema recipe.
Store the crema sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Don’t worry if the crema seems thin at first – it will thicken as it sits.
For a printable version of this crema sauce recipe, visit Family Cuisine. Enjoy!