One of the fastest and easiest ways to make delicious crispy potatoes is in your air fryer. Only 20 minutes to produce roast potatoes, which are perfectly cooked all the way through while delivering a crispy exterior at half the calories.
What a great side dish to serve with our Roast Lamb!
Reading: Roasted redskin potatoes air fryer
If fried potatoes are your weakness, this post is for you! I cannot tell you how excited I am to share this easy and foolproof recipe along with my tips on how to cook the best potatoes in your air fryer.
But first things first, do air fried potatoes taste the same as deep fried potatoes? Yes and and no. My first attempt at making fries, or as they call them chips here in the UK, was less than satisfactory.
The potatoes didn’t crisp up as much as I would’ve liked and they took about 45 minutes to cook. I felt duped and blamed my air fryer. The truth is some of the blame did belong with my air fryer but a big part of my failure was me.
Read more: Traeger Grilled New York Strip
After using my air fryer for 2 years I think I can give the best tips on what to do and what to avoid.
Air Fryer Recipes
Initially I started using an air fryer to reduce calories in my own diet. I bought it as a necessity for healthier and leaner cooking. Over time I learned to appreciate my air fryer for what it truly is. Not just another fad or kitchen gadget used and easily forgotten but a small appliance, which serves many purposes.
Yes, it does reduce calories as it only needs a tiny fraction of fat to cook food but it also acts as a small oven. A huge bonus anyone with a small urban kitchen can appreciate!
It doesn’t need preheating to work its magic. You can roast a whole chicken in your air fryer in half the time without heating up your house. Then add in air fryer street corn for a side dish.
Or you can make an amazing restaurant copycat recipe like this Chicken Katsu while staying true to your commitment to a healthy diet. Your kids will absolutely LOVE these perfectly crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside chicken tenders, which were cooked with a just a tiny spray of oil.
Read more: Fall Off The Bone Baby Back Ribs
I goes without saying that cooking frozen fries in your air fryer produces results that will rival any restaurant or your local chip shop. My Philly Cheesesteak Loaded Fries are proof!
Now let me tell you how to make the best air fried potatoes from scratch or as my kids say “from real potatoes”.
Crispy Potato Recipe Tips and Notes
- Do NOT overload your air fryer, otherwise the potatoes will be cooked unevenly.
- Choose the right kind of potatoes. The best potatoes for your air fryer are the starchy of floury variety. The tend to produce fluffy interior while getting extra crispy on the outside. Yukon Gold in the US and Maris Piper in the UK are my top choices. Avoid red skinned potatoes, they do not get crispy!
- If you want air fried potatoes resemble a healthier version of roast potatoes, cut them in 2 inch chunks.
- Wash your potatoes after cutting them or better yet soak them in water for about 10-20 minutes if you have time. This step gets rid of the excessive starch on the outside of potatoes, which in turn prevents them from sticking together in the air fryer and helps with crisping up. This is an important step if you want spuds with a good crunch!
- Next dry your potatoes and I mean make sure there is absolutely NO moisture on them. I drain my potatoes in a colander and then transfer them onto a kitchen towel where I dry them thoroughly.
- After your potatoes have been dried, spray them with an oil spray. I use Fry Light (UK) but your favourite oil spray could be a good substitute. Oil spray works best for an air fryer cooking. I think it’s the even distribution of oil that helps with rising the crisp level! I used olive oil in the past and found the end result lacking.
Seasoning and Cooking
- Next step is seasoning. After many experiments I have concluded that air fryer potatoes need a coat of flavouring for a great taste. While traditional roast potatoes taste phenomenal simply seasoned with salt, air fryer potatoes do not since they lack that generous coat of fat to give them flavour. What flavour you use is up to you! In the pictures the potatoes are coated in a shashlik seasoning, which is traditionally used for grilled meat but it works well for potatoes. One of our favourites are Cajun seasoning, Thai 7 spice seasoning, Lemon Pepper or just Garlic Salt and Smoked Paprika. Go deep into your spice cabinet, experiment and find your personal favourite!
- Finally cook on Air Fryer setting for 10 minutes, then take the basket out, shake well and spray again and cook for 8-10 minutes longer.
Does size matter?
Yes! The smaller you cut your potatoes the crispier they will be. And not only size, the shape of your potatoes also does. You can invest in a potato cutter that will give your perfectly cut fries with minimal effort.
Julia’s Air Fryer Preference
Since I first started using an air fryer I’ve tested two different brands. My favourite is Ninja Air Fryer Max. It’s faster, has larger capacity, comes with multiple cooking settings and produces more even cooking results.
More Baked Potato Recipes:
- Perfectly Spiced Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Chipotle Mayo Roasted Potato Wedges
- Loaded Potato Skins with Chorizo and Bravas Sauce
- Loaded Potato Skins with Chorizo and Bravas Sauce
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Roasted redskin potatoes air fryer