Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes are boiled, shaken in olive oil, then smashed and roasted to crispy perfection. They’re the ultimate crispy smashed potatoes!
**This post was originally published in June 2013. The photos, recipe and text have been updated.
Potatoes are one of our favorite side dishes. The men in my house love mashed potatoes most of all, but it really doesn’t matter to me whether they’re mashed, grilled, baked, roasted or fried.
Just give me potatoes. 🙂
These Crispy Smashed Baby Potatoes are one of my favorite ways to prepare potatoes. They’re addictively crispy and extremely hard to walk away from.
Cooking baby potatoes can get a bit boring. I roast them a lot, but I love finding new ways to change things up to make side dishes more exciting.
Trust me when I say these aren’t your average roasted potatoes. Smashing them before roasting results in more surface area of potato, which means even more of the potato becomes crispy under the direct heat of the oven.
Brilliant right? I only wish I’d thought of it myself. 🙂
What type of potatoes are best for roasting?
Red, gold and purple baby potatoes are all great options for roasting, but each one is a little bit different.
- Gold potatoes are creamy, soft, and get the crispiest out of the three.
- Red potatoes are waxy, smooth and creamy.
- Purple potatoes have a starchy, creamy texture and are rich in flavor.
If you’re like me and you can’t decide, just buy a bag of the tri-colored medley. 🙂
You only need 4 simple ingredients for these delicious smashed baby potatoes!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1.5 lbs. baby potatoes (red, gold or tri-color all work well)
- Olive oil
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- Garlic powder
How to make this recipe
There are a 4 steps involved in this recipe as outlined below:
Boil the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill with enough water to cover by 1″. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then remove the lid and simmer over medium heat until the tip of the knife is inserted easily into the potatoes. Drain the boiled baby potatoes well and blot dry.
Shake the potatoes. Once dry, place the potatoes back into the sauce pan with the olive oil, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover with the lid and shake vigorously until the potatoes are well coated with the oil mixture. Pour the potatoes onto a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer.
Smash the potatoes. Smash the potatoes gently with a fork. Once smashed, I like to dab some of the remaining oil from the saucepan over the tops of the potatoes.
Roast the potatoes. Roast the smashed baby potatoes at 425 degrees for 30 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Change up your crispy smashed potatoes with different herbs and seasonings, or serve with a dollop of sour cream!
- How long to boil baby potatoes depends on their size. Boiling them for 10-12 minutes is normally plenty of time for them become tender.
- You can determine how long to roast baby potatoes by how golden brown and crispy they are. Roast them for 30-45 minutes depending on the level of crispness you desire.
See all of my Side Dishes for more inspiration.
More potato recipes you’ll love:
- Baked potatoes by the Kitchn
- Grilled potato salad
- Sheet pan chicken thighs, potatoes and green beans
- Salmon nicoise salad
- Twice baked mashed potatoes
- Yukon gold mashed potatoes
If you make this recipe I’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment and rating below, or tag me @flavorthemoments on Instagram!
Sharing is caring!
For more information please see the list of Boiled and roasted baby potatoes