This is hands down the BEST Pork and Sauerkraut recipe ever! Succulent, tender pork is flavored with sauerkraut that has been sweetened with apples. This Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut is incredibly easy to make and delicious to eat.
This pork and sauerkraut is delicious served over mashed potatoes with a side of homemade applesauce.
If there was one meal I hated when I was growing up, it was Pork and Sauerkraut.
New Years Day always meant Pork and Sauerkraut at my house as a child. My parents always made me take one bite of the sauerkraut for good luck. I felt like the bite of sauerkraut was ANYTHING but lucky in my book-I truly hated it!
I loved the pork and the mashed potatoes that were served alongside the pork and sauerkraut but forget about the sauerkraut.
Don’t tell the 10-year-old stubborn child I was, but it was in fact the sauerkraut that gave the pork all its delicious flavor. As the pork loin cooks in the sauerkraut, the sauerkraut helps to break down the pork into a juicy, succulent cut of meat.
And now that my taste buds have expanded a bit, I have to say, I enjoy the sauerkraut as well.
Secrets for the Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
There are two things that make this Slow Cooker Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe the BEST!
- Time: Pork loin is best when it is braised over a long period of time with the sauerkraut, as the tenders in the meat are broken down and the pork loin becomes tender and juicy. I love to use my slow cooker when making pork and sauerkraut to set it and forget it for a hands-off meal.
- Sweetness: I also am a firm believer that the flavors in sauerkraut need to be balanced out with a bit of sweetness to round out the flavors. My mom always used a bit of brown sugar in her pork and sauerkraut recipe, but I am a firm believer in apple juice is KEY! The apple juice keeps the pork moist and flavors the sauerkraut with just the right amount of natural sweetness.
How to Make Crock Pot Pork and Sauerkraut
Step One: Season Pork Loin
- To ensure a really good flavor, liberally season the pork loin with salt and pepper on all sides.
Step Two: Sear Pork Loin
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over high heat. I like to use a dutch oven to keep oil from splattering on my stove.
- Sear pork loin for 2-3 minutes per side, or until browned and easy to flip.
- Place seared pork loin in the slow cooker.
Step Three: Slow Cook
- Add apple juice to the slow cooker.
- Add in apples, onions, and garlic around the pork loin.
- Top with sauerkraut.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- Be sure to drain the sauerkraut from the juices it is packaged in to control the sodium and tang in this recipe. Canned or bagged sauerkraut both work for this recipe.
- If you don’t have apple juice, use chicken stock in its place, but add in 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to help balance the flavors in this pork and sauerkraut. But I am telling you, the apple juice makes this dish incredible.
- 16 ounces of sauerkraut is enough for a 2-4 pound pork loin. For any larger pork loin, you will want to double the amount of sauerkraut.
- Leftover pork and sauerkraut can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days and frozen for up to 3 months.
- Pork and sauerkraut is gluten-free, paleo, and dairy-free, making it a great meal to serve to those with dietary restrictions.
- If you need a faster version of this classic recipe, try out Instant Pot Pork and Sauerkraut.
More Slow Cooker Pork Loin Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Apple Pork Roast
If you tried this recipe, I would love for you to leave a comment and review below. I hope this recipe made you a believer in Pork and Sauerkaut.
This post was originally published in December 2018, was updated in December 2019 with a new video and pictures.
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Slow cooker roast pork and sauerkraut