This could be the BEST pasta salad I’ve ever made. It’s just so perfect and I can’t stop thinking about how dreamy it is.
This BLT pasta salad was an idea that came to me after Tony and I started making amazing BLT sandwiches with avocado for our lunches (we were on a real bacon kick for a few weeks!). There is something so comforting and delicious about a classic BLT sandwich that I started thinking about how good it might be deconstructed into a pasta salad. A few nights later, I developed this recipe and fell head over heels in love. Trust me when I tell you, you need to make it.
Reading: Recipe for blt salad with pasta
Before you get started, I do want to mention that the jalapeño cashew dressing really helps tie it all together. That’s right, instead of ranch or a dressing made with sour cream or mayonnaise, we’re tossing everything together with a creamy, dairy free dressing that has a hint of heat and coats every nook and cranny of the pasta. Don’t be afraid to try something new and different than what you’re used to! It’s DAMN GOOD.
Enjoy this incredible pasta salad as a dinner, lunch or even side dish at your next BBQ!
FREE Summer Salad E-book
During the month of June, we’re bringing you tons of salad inspo, a challenge, and a FREE e-book with 5 of my best summer salads.
Sign up above to get:
- A FREE salad e-book with 5 of my very best summer salad recipes
- Amazing salad-making tips and hacks, plus even more nourishing salad recipes that you can come back to time and time again
- A month-long FREE challenge to encourage you to make & share your salad creations in June!
Be sure to follow @AmbitiousKitchen on Instagram to see fun recipe reels and behind-the-scenes salad-making content all month long!
BLT pasta salad ingredients
Read more: The top 15 subway protein bowl vs salad
This easy BLT pasta salad is basically just made up of your fav pasta, some fresh summer veggies, and a simple cashew sauce you’ll absolutely fall in love with. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Jalapeño cashew dressing: we’re using this recipe for the dressing. IT IS AMAZING, packed with flavor, and dairy free! See ya later, ranch dressing mix.
- Bacon: the B in the BLT, baby! The bacon adds salty, crispy bites to the pasta salad. Feel free to use turkey bacon if you’d like.
- Pasta: I suggest using bowties (AKA farfalle) or large shells so that the dressing gets in all of those nooks and crannies, but feel free to use any pasta you’d like (even gluten free pasta). Elbow macaroni or rotini pasta would also be great!
- Corn: for a fresh, summer twist and slight sweetness. You can use grilled, raw or sautéd corn!
- Cherry or grape tomatoes: tomatoes add juicy bursts in every bite. I love using heirloom cherry tomatoes for color variety.
- Red onion: for a little extra zip.
- Romaine lettuce: the L in BLT! Romaine holds up really well in this BLT pasta salad and adds a wonderful crunchiness.
- Avocado: can’t forget about creamy avocado. Nothing better! I like to pick a just slightly ripe avocado so it stays firm in the pasta salad.
How to cook the best bacon
You can absolutely cook your bacon on the stovetop, but if your burners are full (and to avoid some mess) learn how to cook bacon in the oven here! It will be perfectly crunchy and delicious for this BLT pasta salad.
Customize your healthy BLT pasta salad
One of the best parts about this easy, dairy free BLT pasta salad? It’s great for customizing to fit the needs of guests or use up what you have on hand. Here’s what I can suggest:
- Pick your bacon: feel free to swap the regular bacon for turkey bacon or even omit to make this salad vegan & vegetarian.
- Add protein: some grilled chicken or chickpeas would be perfect for an extra boost of protein.
- Cheese it up: add a sprinkle of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, parmesan or feta for a little more savory indulgence.
- Missing the bread? Try some fun croutons if you’re missing the toasty bread of your favorite BLT sandwich!
Let’s chat dressing
We’re lightening up this BLT pasta salad with a dairy free jalapeño cashew dressing that you’ll fall in love with. It’s easier to make than you think, but if you’d like to go nut free you can always use this homemade ranch dressing instead. Feel free to add jalapeño to the dressing, or toss thinly sliced jalapeños in the pasta salad itself.
Tips for making perfect BLT pasta salad every time
With a few tips and tricks, I guarantee you’ll fall in LOVE with this delicious pasta salad recipe.
- Don’t overcook your pasta. You’ll want to make sure you cook your pasta until just al dente so that it doesn’t end up mushy in the salad. Feel free to run the pasta under cold water after you drain it to help stop the cooking and cool it off before adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Use the right avocado. Choose a ripe, but still firm, avocado so that the cubes don’t fall apart in the salad.
- Grill your corn. Yes, you can easily use raw, canned, or even thawed frozen corn in this recipe, but I’m obsessed with the flavor that grilled corn adds. Learn how to grill corn here!
Read more: The list of 10+ can i freeze potato salad
How to store BLT pasta salad
This BLT pasta salad will stay fresh covered in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It’s delicious made ahead of time, too, so feel free to prep it the night before a picnic or bbq, or prep it for your weekday lunches. I would recommend adding the avocado on when you’re ready to serve so that it stays fresh.
Make it ahead of time
You can easily make this pasta salad a couple of days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator! I’d recommend leaving the avocado and romaine off of the salad until you’re ready to serve it as they’ll lose their freshness the fastest.
You could also chop up all of your veggies, cook your pasta & bacon, make the dressing, and store it all in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble everything!
More pasta salad recipes to try
- Herby Olive Italian Orzo Salad
- Peach, Tomato & Corn Arugula Pasta Salad
- Street Corn Pasta Salad with Cilantro Pesto + Goat Cheese
- Roasted Veggie Mediterranean Pasta with Goat Cheese
- Avocado & Tomato Chickpea Pasta Salad with Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
Get all of my salad recipes here!
I hope you love this damn good BLT pasta salad recipe! If you make it be sure to leave a comment so I know how you liked it. You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag #ambitiouskitchen. Enjoy, xo!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Ambitious Kitchen | Photography by: Eat Love Eats
This post was originally published on July 30th, 2020, and republished on June 24th, 2022.
Read more: How long does quinoa last in the fridge?
For more information please see the list of Recipe for blt salad with pasta