A delicious and cozy recipe, this Chicken Stew recipe comes together with only a few simple ingredients. This is a hearty and flavorful recipe that the whole family will love. Chicken thighs, drumsticks, carrots, and potatoes all cooked up in one pot, this recipe is foolproof.
This hearty one-pot chicken stew comes together so easily. All you have to do is saute some ingredients together then it goes into the oven. I love how most of the cooking is hands-off so it frees up time for me to take care of the fifty other things on my to-do list. Even better, since it’s all made in one-pot, cleaning up takes next to no time.
Want to make another comfort dish like my chicken stew? Try my Beef Stew or Kafta and Potato Stew. They are perfect for a cold day!
Why You’ll Love This Chicken Stew Recipe
- Super hearty. Loaded with potatoes, carrots, and chicken, this is such a filling meal, perfect for the hungriest of family members.
- Packed with flavor. Seasoned with garlic, herbs, and a hit of umami with Worcestershire sauce, this is a rich and delicious chicken stew.
- An easy chicken stew. A one pot meal that comes together so easily and can feed many mouths!
- Olive oil – or your choice in oil.
- Chicken – I use thighs and drumsticks with the skin-on and bone-in.
- Seasoning – I season with salt, pepper, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Aromatics – I use garlic, onion, carrot, and celery.
- Flour – regular all-purpose flour is fine for this chicken stew.
- Tomato paste – not tomato sauce. I like Hunts.
- Worcestershire sauce – this is a fermented liquid condiment that adds umami flavor to the stew.
- Chicken broth – try to use low sodium chicken broth.
- Golden Potatoes – golden potatoes, peeled and halved.
How To Make Chicken Stew
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Sear the chicken: Heat an oven-proof wide pot over a medium heat. Add oil and sear the chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes until light brown and season the chicken with salt and pepper. Once done transfer the chicken pieces to a plate and keep them aside.
- Saute the aromatics: To the same pot add garlic and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions turn translucent. Add in the carrots and celery; cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients: Sprinkle flour and mix it with the veggies. Add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, fresh thyme, and chicken broth. Stir until everything comes together.
- Add the chicken back and bake: Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the veggies and then bake for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and add the potatoes and bake again for 40-45 minutes without the lid until the potatoes and chicken have criped up and are cooked through.
- Serve: Serve the chicken stew while it is still warm along with some bread slices on the sides.
Tips and Notes to make this Healthy Stew Recipe
- There’s no need to cook the chicken through, you just want the caramelization and flavor from the searing. The chicken will continue to cook through in the oven.
- I do not recommend swapping the chicken thighs and drumsticks for breasts. They will not be as tender and flavorful and the chicken breasts will dry out.
- If you do not have fresh herbs, you can use dried herbs instead.
- I recommend using a Dutch oven as it distributes the heat well.
- Cook your aromatics low and slow. You want to get all the flavor out of your onions and garlic, so cook them on a lower heat otherwise they will burn.
- You can sear the chicken in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pot.
Frequently Asked Questions
More Chicken Recipes to Try
- Best Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Lemon Chicken Rice Soup
- Chicken Lentil Soup
- Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Lemon Herb Mediterranean Chicken
I hope you enjoy all the recipes I share with you, including this delicious and easy Chicken Stew recipe. I hope you try it, enjoy it, rate it, and share it with your friends and family!
If you try this recipe and liked it, please leave a star rating and comment below. Use my hashtag to share it with me on INSTAGRAM So I can see your delicious recreations! Also, follow me at Cookin’ With Mima on FACEBOOK |INSTAGRAM |PINTEREST for all of my latest social posts and recipes.
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Bone in chicken stew recipes