The best Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe. Learn how to cook a roast in a crockpot that comes out perfectly tender and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Reading: Healthy crock pot pot roast
There is nothing better than a warm plate of pot roast and veggies on a chilly day, especially when the meat is so incredibly tender! It’s the ultimate comfort food!
This main course recipe couldn’t be easier since the slow cooker does most of the work. It also only takes 10 ingredients most of which you probably already have in your pantry!
Even better, there isn’t any soup mix in this recipe because they normally have some weird ingredients in them.
In just over 6 hours, you will have a delicious dinner that your whole family will love!
P.S. – If you love crockpot recipes, check out our crockpot whole chicken or these 45 Healthy Crockpot Recipes!
Crockpot Pot Roast Ingredients
To make this slow cooker pot roast you will need:
- chuck roast
- carrots, potatoes, onion
- beef broth
- olive oil
- garlic, dried thyme, or rosemary
- salt and pepper
Read more: List of 14 how to cook beef round roast
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
What are the best vegetables to cook with the Crockpot Pot Roast?
We love the way carrots and potatoes cook with the pot roast. They become super tender and pair nicely with the roast!
What is the best cut and size of meat to use for a Crock Pot Pot Roast?
The Best Cuts of Meat for Roast are:
- chuck roast
- bottom round roast
- top round roast
A 4-5 lb roast will work best when cooking a roast in the crock pot.
How to Cook a Roast in Crock Pot
- Heat olive oil in a pan on the stove. Season roast with salt and pepper. Sear the roast for 5-6 minutes on each side until browned. The roast shouldn’t be cooked through but should have a nice crust.
- In the last 2-3 minutes you can add your onion and garlic to the pan to saute with the roast or just add them into the crockpot raw.
- While the roast is browning, add carrots, potatoes, and broth to the crockpot.
- Add the seared roast, onions, and garlic on top of the carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle with dried thyme.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until potatoes are fork-tender. You can also cook on high for 4-6 hours (low is better).
- The pot roast should fall apart easily with a fork or tongs.
Enjoy this as a full and hearty meal!
Do you have to brown the pot roast before putting it in the crock pot?
You don’t have to brown pot roast before putting it in the slow cooker, but we highly recommend it. Browning meat helps to lock in its flavor and texture.
We also recommend browning your onions/garlic if you are going to brown the meat. This is such a simple step but it adds SO much flavor.
What size slow cooker is needed to make this Pot Roast recipe?
Read more: Top 6 how long does it take to roast onions
We used a standard 6-quart crock pot to make this slow cooker pot roast. Here’s a link to the crockpot we have. I’m sure you could cook this in a smaller crockpot, but it might be a little bit crowded.
I don’t think it would all fit in a 3-quart crockpot, but without trying I can’t be sure.
How much liquid should be included with the pot roast in the slow cooker?
This recipe calls for 1 cup of beef broth.
How much water do I put in a crock pot for a roast? You can put 1 cup of water or broth in your slow cooker when cooking a roast. The roast will give off its own juices.
Should pot roast be covered with liquid in slow cooker? No, pot roast does not need to be covered completely with liquid in slow cooker. As long as the roast has a little bit of water (1 cup) it has enough!
Can this recipe be made in the oven?
We don’t recommend it. We find the roast becomes the most tender by cooking low and slow in the crock pot.
If you do want to try cooking the pot roast in the oven, this recipe looks delicious.
How to Thicken Gravy for Pot Roast
You can easily make a gravy for pot roast. Here’s how:
- Take 1 cup of broth from the base of the slow cooker and add it to a small sauce pot.
- Bring to a boil, whisking in 2 tablespoons of flour and whatever spices you like.
- Reduce heat and simmer. It should thicken almost immediately.
How to Serve Crock Pot Roast
This slow cooker pot roast is a meal in itself. Here are some other sides you can make with it:
- green beans almondine
- crispy potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- brussels sprouts
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Healthy crock pot pot roast