Looking for a scrumptious dessert that will satisfy your sweet tooth? Look no further than our easy dirt cake recipe! With layers of crushed cookies, creamy pudding, and chocolate, this delightful treat is bound to become a family favorite. Whether it’s a special occasion or a casual get-together, our dirt cake recipe is easy to make and guaranteed to please a crowd.
Classic Dirt Cake is a no-bake dessert that is as fun to make as it is to eat! Our easy dirt cake without cream cheese is an incredible dessert that combines crumbled Oreo cookies with instant pudding and is topped off with gummy worms or your favorite candy. It’s a breeze to whip up (no baking involved!) and doesn’t require cream cheese.
This crowd-pleasing classic is a hit at any gathering, whether it’s a kids’ birthday party, a summer BBQ, a church potluck, or a spring gathering. It also makes a delicious Easter dessert.
What is Dirt Cake?
Dirt cake is a delightful and whimsical dessert that resembles a pot of dirt – hence the name. Typically, it consists of layers of crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreo cookies) and a creamy mixture. The dessert is usually assembled in a serving dish, resembling soil, and is commonly adorned with gummy worms or other edible decorations to create a garden-like appearance.
How to Make Oreo Dirt Cake Without Cream Cheese
- 19-ounce Family-Size package Oreo sandwich cookies
- 1/2 stick of butter (4 tbsp), melted
- 3.9-ounce package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 ½ cup whole cold milk
- 8-ounce package whipped topping (i.e., Cool Whip)
- 8-ounce bag gummy worms
Begin by crushing the Oreos into fine crumbs, either in a food processor or by hand. Add half of the Oreo cookie crumbs (about two cups) to a large mixing bowl along with the melted butter and mix well. Firmly press the Oreo crumb mixture into the bottom of a baking dish and freeze.
In a separate mixing bowl, combine the whole milk and instant pudding mix, beating until well combined. Scoop just under half of the pudding into another bowl and fold in the whipped topping.
Remove the baking dish from the freezer and spread the whipped topping mixture on top of the layer of cookie crumbs. Add the remaining chocolate pudding and swirl it into the whipped topping layer. Top with the remaining Oreo crumbs and a bag of gummy worms, then serve.
If you’re preparing your dirt dessert ahead of time, omit the gummy worms and add them right before serving. For easier cutting, freeze the dessert for 15 minutes prior to serving.
Variations & Serving Suggestions For This No Cream Cheese Dirt Cake Recipe
Here are some tips on how to customize the dirt cake without cream cheese recipe to suit individual tastes or dietary restrictions:
- Experiment with different types of cookies to change up the flavor. Golden Oreos, vanilla wafers, graham crackers, or even gluten-free cookies are excellent alternatives.
- Incorporate different flavors by adding extracts or spices. A teaspoon of vanilla extract, almond extract, or cinnamon can give the pudding mixture a unique twist.
- Try different flavors of pudding instead of just chocolate. Instant vanilla pudding or butterscotch pudding can add a whole new dimension to your dirt cake.
- Instead of store-bought whipped cream, create your own by whipping heavy cream with a touch of powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- For a cute presentation, serve the dirt cake in individual cups or jars. Layer the pudding mixture and cookie crumbs in each cup or jar, and top with whipped cream and favorite garnishes for delicious dirt pudding cups.
- For grand events, layer the dirt cake mixture with whipped cream and toppings in a large glass trifle bowl. It makes for a stunning dessert centerpiece.
Dirt Cake FAQ’s
Sharing is caring! If you’re looking for more fantastic recipes, be sure to check out these links:
- Favorite Recipes Using Oreo Cookies
- Easy Dessert Recipes
- Cool Whip Desserts
- Delicious Recipes for Dump Cakes
- No Bake Recipes
- Can You Freeze Oreos?
Remember, Family Cuisine is here to offer you incredible recipes like this one. Enjoy making and indulging in this delightful dirt cake recipe with your loved ones!