If your dog is picky about the food he eats or suffers from food allergies, here is a homemade dog food crockpot recipe that helps my dog. Enjoy!
Are you wanting to make your own dog food? This is an easy homemade dog food crockpot recipe.
Reading: Best homemade food for yorkies
Just throw all the ingredients in the crockpot and cook for a couple of hours.
The result is a healthy, homemade dog food that your furry family member will love!
My dog has had food allergies FOREVER! I have tried almost every dog food under the sun from expensive to EXPENSIVE.
Finally, I had it and decided to look into making my own. I was shocked how easy it is.
Watch video how to make homemade dog food
This post contains affiliate links.
*Consult your veterinarian in deciding what food to make for your dog. I am not a vet. I have done my own research, and this is what works great for my fur baby.
What do you put in homemade dog food?
These are the ingredients I put in my homemade dog food:
- ground chicken- It is important to use real lean meat.
- kidney beans, carrots-Look for reduced or no sodium.
- butternut squash
- green beans-Look for reduced or no sodium if canned. Frozen or fresh are great.
- white rice
What other foods can you use in homemade dog food?
- You can interchange all the ingredients.
- I buy the meat that is on sale such as hamburger, turkey, and chicken. Whatever you choose, choose very lean cuts and no skin. Your dog cannot eat very fatty protein.
- You change out the vegetables from time to time also. I sometime switch out the butternut squash with pumpkin or sweet potato.
- You can add in apples or apple sauce for a variety in flavor.
- Instead of the kidney beans, you can use lentils or pinto beans.
- You can also add in chicken livers. Chicken livers are really good for your dog, but also very rich. You want to add in small amounts.
- The egg shells are also very good for dogs. This adds in calcium. Most dogs won’t eat the shells unless they are really broken up or crushed. You can crush the shells in a coffee grinder, food processor, or with a mortar and pestle.
- Salmon, salmon oil, and fish oil also helps with skin allergies and inflammation.
- I use white rice because it is easier on sensitive stomachs than brown rice. You can use brown rice if your dog does not have a sensitive stomach.
How to make
Follow these steps to make:
- Add ground chicken, butternut squash, kidney beans, peas, green beans, carrots, and uncooked white rice, with water to a crock pot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Ration food according to dog size. Feed dog daily portion.
Tip: Give your dog supplements!
My vet said this recipe was very well balanced.
However to assure me that my dog was getting all the proper vitamins that my dog might need, he suggested I give my dog VetriScience Canine Multi Pro – Extra Vitamins, Minerals, Essential Fatty Acids, and Probiotics – Important for Homemade and Raw Diets – 60 Soft Bite-Sized Chews
He would suggest this supplement for my dog if he was eating store bought food as well.
Read more: The Best Food Processors and Blenders
You can find cheaper supplements if you do some research. This is just the brand we use.
My dog is also older. He is at the age where he needs joint supplements.
He is a picky eater and has snubbed his nose at several different joint supplements that I have tried to offer him.
However, he LOVES Ark Naturals Sea Mobility Joint Rescue Chews, Beef, Increase Flexibility, Mobility and Joint Comfort, Vet Recommended for All Dog Breeds, 500 mg Glucosamine, 9 oz. Bag .
I buy the beef flavor. It is all natural with great ingredients.
He thinks he is eating a treat when I give him his little square chew!
When I make this homemade crockpot dog food, I portion it out in baggies.
Next, I store the bags of food in the freezer.
I pull a bag of food out the night before to defrost the food for the next morning.
I add a little water to mix in so he slows down eating it.
My dog loves it and will inhale his food. I found adding the water in slows him down just a bit.
I feed him half a bag in the morning and half at night.
My dog, Goliath, loves the dog food! He wakes me up first thing in the morning begging for his food.
Read more: Where to Eat and Drink in Boise, Idaho
The little bugger jumps on my chest, then takes his little paw to hit me in the head to wake up.
He will not let me roll over to ignore him. He wants his breakfast.
Goliath also loves me for making it for him.
I have found him to be more peppy and less itchy. He is seven years old and acting like a new pup.
I won’t go back to dry food again!
Not all dogs are created equal. If your dog’s stomach seems sensitive to this recipe or really gassy, I would omit the beans.
I also have a homemade Doggy Treat Recipe here.
How much homemade dog food should you feed your dog?
You can calculate how much to feed your dog here. It is a great resource to tell you how many calories your dog needs based on it’s size.
The calories in the recipe box are an estimate based on lean chicken.
If you are making your homemade dog food for the first time, introduce the new food a little at a time. You don’t want your dog to get sick from a fast transition.
You may want to start off with half of the homemade food and half of the regular food for a couple of days.
Consult your veterinarian on how to do that best.
When you make this homemade dog food, please tell me what you think in the comment section! It would mean the world to me to hear back. My readers will appreciate the information also.
Also post your picture of your dog’s food on Instagram or Facebook, and tag @aforkstale with #aforkstale hashtags! I will share with my followers! xoxo!
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Best homemade food for yorkies