Skip going out and enjoy this delicious take-out style Chicken Stir Fry dinner at home instead! Bite-sized pieces of chicken and crisp-tender vegetables all coated in a flavorful stir fry sauce is a delicious weeknight meal you can always count on to satisfy the family.
This is similar to our Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry in that it has chicken and broccoli, but with added vegetables, breast instead of thighs, and a completely different tasting sauce. We love them both!
Everyone should have a couple foolproof stir fry recipes in their back pocket to get dinner on the table fast. Not only are they delicious, but with a protein and vegetables, they are hearty and a complete meal all in one. Plus easy and customizable depending what veggies you have on hand.
This chicken and vegetable stir fry is quick, filling, and delicious, with our favorite all-purpose stir fry sauce and goodies in every forkful.
Stir Fry Ingredients
Chicken Stir Fry Sauce:
- Water and Cornstarch: Used to thicken the sauce.
- Chicken broth and Soy Sauce: Both low sodium.
- Brown Sugar: To balance out the savory and acidity.
- Shaoxing wine: This is a staple in all Chinese restaurants (dry sherry is a good substitute.)
- Sesame oil: For that characteristic Asian flavor.
- Ginger and Garlic: Provides wonderful aromatics and flavor. Use fresh!
- Crushed red pepper flakes: Adds flavor and a tiny bit of heat.
For the Stir Fry:
- Chicken: For this stir fry recipe, we use chicken breast, but chicken thighs are awesome, too.
- Vegetables: We chose broccoli florets, red bell pepper, sweet onion, and peppery scallions, which is one of our favorite combinations in flavor and color.
- Seasoning: Salt and pepper is all you need, since the sauce is packed with flavor.
- Vegetable oil: For sautéing the chicken and vegetables.
- White rice: Cooked, hot long-grained white rice is always my first choice to serve with stir fry. Fried rice is also good!
Can I Substitute Stir Fry Vegetables?
Yes, absolutely! You can add other favorite vegetables or whatever you already have available. Any of these are great:
- Bell pepper
- Snap peas
- Green Beans
- Water chestnuts
- Baby corn
How to Make Chicken Stir Fry
Like most stir fry recipes, this dish comes together quickly, so make sure all of your ingredients are prepped and ready to go!*Scroll below for the detailed printable recipe card.
- Make the sauce: Combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Cook the chicken: Sauté the chicken in a nonstick skillet or wok with a little vegetable oil until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Sauté the vegetables: In the same skillet, adding a touch more oil, cook the vegetables for a few minutes until crisp-tender.
- Return chicken to skillet: Return cooked chicken back to the skillet; toss to combine.
- Add the sauce: Give the stir fry sauce a stir, pour over chicken and vegetables and combine. Bring to a boil to thicken.
- Finish and Serve: Remove from heat and stir in the scallions. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to 3 days. While this dish can be frozen, I don’t really recommend it. Once thawed, the vegetables become mushy and not the most appetizing.
Chicken and Vegetable Stir Fry Video
Other Stir Fry Recipes We Love!
- Pepper Steak
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Cashew Chicken
- Ramen Stir Fry
I hope you love this delicious and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!