Do you love homemade sweets but hate the hassle of complicated recipes? If so, then you’re in for a treat with this Blueberry Dump Cake. It’s a dessert that requires minimal effort but delivers maximum flavor.
The Easiest Dessert You’ll Ever Make
Imagine mixing fresh blueberries with sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, and a hint of cinnamon – just like you would for a homemade blueberry pie. Then, top it all off with a box of store-bought cake mix. Drizzle melted butter over the top and bake until golden brown and the cake has puffed up.
It’s truly that simple! The blueberries transform into a luscious, jam-like filling, reminiscent of a blueberry pie. Meanwhile, the cake becomes crispy on the outside and delightfully soft in the middle. Top it all off with a generous scoop of ice cream, and you’ve got the perfect dessert for any occasion.
A Quick and Impressive Dessert
Preparation time is a breeze with just 10 minutes of prep. Within an hour, you’ll have a semi-homemade dessert that you can proudly serve at any holiday gathering or family get-together. With its blueberry cobbler vibes, this dump cake is a hidden gem that you never knew you needed – until now!
Obsessed with blueberry desserts? You’ll be delighted to try our Blueberry Pie Milkshakes, Blueberry Crisp, and even Mini Blueberry Galettes! If you’re looking for easy dessert recipes, we’ve got you covered.
How to Make Blueberry Dump Cake
Let’s walk through the steps of making this delectable dessert:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and position a rack in the center.
- Create the filling by combining 2-2 ½ cups of fresh blueberries, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp cinnamon, and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Stir everything together until the berries are evenly coated.
- Add the cake mix on top of the blueberry filling, spreading it into an even layer.
- Pour melted butter over the cake mix, ensuring the surface is generously covered. Don’t mix or stir the ingredients.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the top turns golden brown and the cake has puffed up.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly for about 5 minutes before serving. We highly recommend enjoying it with a dollop of ice cream or freshly whipped cream!
Variations on Dump Cake
While blueberries are a classic choice, you can experiment with different fruits and flavors to create your own twist on this dessert. Here are some ideas:
- Frozen Blueberries: Don’t have fresh blueberries on hand? Frozen blueberries work just as well.
- Homemade Filling: Although you can use store-bought blueberry pie filling, we guarantee that making the filling from scratch is so worth it.
- Different Fruits: Feel free to explore other fruits like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or even stone fruits such as peaches and apricots. You can even try a cinnamon apple dump cake for a cozy fall treat!
- Alternative Cake Mixes: Get creative and experiment with different flavored box cake mixes. Funfetti or chocolate cake mix are great options. We’re itching to try it with a brownie mix next!
Tips for the Best Dump Cake
To ensure your dump cake turns out irresistibly delicious, here are some expert tips to keep in mind:
- Make the blueberry filling from scratch: Freshly made filling adds an extra burst of flavor that surpasses any store-bought alternative.
- Opt for fresh blueberries: If possible, use fresh blueberries for the best results. They add a natural sweetness and juiciness that can’t be beat.
- Don’t skip the lemon: Lemon juice and zest enhance the flavors of the berries while helping to thicken the filling. Embrace the beautiful pairing of lemons and blueberries!
- Layer without stirring: Resist the urge to mix the blueberries, cake mix, and melted butter. Simply layer the ingredients in a tart pan, cake pan, or any baking dish, and let the oven work its magic.
Don’t forget to pin this for later!
A Dessert Worth Indulging In
We can’t find the words to describe just how delicious this homemade dump cake truly is. It combines the best elements of a blueberry pie and cobbler, all in a recipe that’s quick and effortless. Whether you’re an amateur baker or looking for a fun activity with young children, this dessert is a must-add to your summer rotation. Enjoy it with a generous scoop of ice cream or homemade whipped cream.
If you give this Blueberry Dump Cake recipe a try, please let us know your thoughts by leaving a review and rating below. We’re confident that you’ll find it utterly irresistible!
Looking for more dump cake recipes? Give our Pumpkin Dump Cake and Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake a taste too!
Remember to sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Pinterest, and Facebook for more mouthwatering recipes from Family Cuisine. And when you make one of our recipes, don’t forget to share it on social media using #wellseasonedstudio! We love seeing what you create in your kitchen.
Other Easy Dessert Recipes to Explore:
- Key lime cheesecake parfaits
- Cookie butter skillet cookie
- Cannoli cream parfaits
- No-bake chocolate mousse pie
- Rosemary shortbread recipe