This delectable Ambrosia salad is a delightful combination of fresh fruits, fluffy marshmallows, and creamy goodness. Whether you serve it as a side dish or a dessert, this marshmallow fruit salad is sure to impress. With just a few simple steps, you can create a dish that will become a family favorite.
I still remember the first time I tasted ambrosia fruit salad. It was Thanksgiving dinner, and I was blown away by the heavenly combination of fluffy marshmallows and sweet fruits. Since then, it has become a cherished tradition in our family. We serve it not only during Thanksgiving and Christmas but also as an indulgent dessert or even breakfast the next morning!
What is Ambrosia Salad?
Ambrosia salad is a delightful mixed fruit salad that features marshmallows and a creamy component. While it’s commonly made with a combination of sour cream and whipped topping, you can also add yogurt or mayonnaise for a unique twist. The sour cream adds a subtle tang that beautifully complements the sweetness of the fruit and marshmallows.
Typically, ambrosia salad includes pineapple and oranges. However, you can customize it by adding your favorite fruits. I love incorporating a can of fruit cocktail and a handful of fresh grapes for extra juiciness. You could even try adding chopped apples, pears, or bananas to create a medley of flavors. If you enjoy a bit of crunch, consider adding some chopped nuts for added texture.
The beauty of ambrosia salad lies in its versatility. While there are a few key ingredients, you can adjust them to suit your preferences. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Marshmallows: Use mini marshmallows for this recipe. Whether you prefer plain or fruity rainbow marshmallows, it’s entirely up to you.
- Canned fruit: The canned fruit can vary based on your taste. I like to use a combination of mandarin orange segments, pineapple tidbits, and fruit cocktail. However, feel free to experiment with peaches, pears, or any other fruits you enjoy.
- Fresh fruit: Adding a touch of fresh fruit helps create a balanced texture. Consider adding sliced grapes or apples for a delightful crunch.
- Frozen Whipped Topping: Opt for frozen whipped topping, like Cool Whip, as it provides the desired fluffiness without melting.
- Sour cream: Sour cream adds a tangy element that cuts through the sweetness. If you’re not a fan of sour cream, substitute it with Greek yogurt for a creamy twist.
Optional add-ins, such as chopped walnuts, pecans, or shredded coconut, can be included for additional texture and flavor.
Creating this marshmallow fruit salad is a breeze. Follow these simple steps:
Start by draining the canned fruit. In a large bowl, combine the fruit, marshmallows, and nuts.
In a separate bowl, fold together the sour cream and whipped topping until well combined. Gently fold this mixture into the fruit and marshmallows.
Allow the salad to rest for at least 4 hours before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together, and the marshmallows to become soft and fluffy.
More Easy Recipes
More Fruit Salads to Try
- Honeydew Peach Salad – by 2 Cookin Mamas
- Old Fashioned Watergate Salad – by Little Sunny Kitchen
- Easy Grape Salad – by Mom On Timeout
Sharing is caring!