All you need is 2 ingredients for the easiest, best strawberry banana smoothie recipe! It’s so deliciously simple, you’ll find yourself making it on repeat.
Here’s a smoothie recipe that’s almost impossibly simple: this Strawberry Banana Smoothie! All you need is 2 ingredients, plus ice and water. That’s right: two ingredients! It’s not often that our recipes are this easy…though we do believe in keeping all things pretty simple. Blend up bananas and frozen strawberries and you’ve impossibly got the perfect smoothie texture and flavor: it’s creamy, sweet and fruity, with just enough banana essence. No yogurt, milk or sweetener needed! It’s truly remarkable. In fact, we might give up our Perfect Strawberry Smoothie in favor of this one.
Ingredients for a strawberry banana smoothie
Here’s what you’ll need to make this strawberry banana smoothie. You’ll notice a lot of the traditional ingredients for a creamy smoother aren’t necessary. There’s no yogurt, no milk, no dairy to make it creamy! Just two pure, healthy ingredients that result in a plant based and vegan smoothie. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Frozen strawberries: It’s easy to find and store frozen berries, and they add a great icy texture to this smoothie.
- Fresh banana: Our pet peeve is smoothie recipes that call for frozen bananas, because we don’t always have them on hand. We customized this one to use a fresh banana so that you can make it immediately.
- Water and ice: For the body of the smoothie, you’ll just need a little water to get it to blend and ice for the perfect frothy texture.
Love plant based smoothies? Try these Top Vegan Smoothie Recipes!
Amp up the protein
Want to add more protein to your strawberry banana smoothie? Outside of protein powder, we’ve got some ideas for natural ways to add protein:
- Almond or cashew butter. The almond and cashew flavor goes well with strawberry; we prefer it to peanut butter. Use about 1 tablespoon, 2 for a stronger flavor. Keep in mind this addition will also dull the color a bit.
- Greek yogurt: If you like drinking yogurt in your smoothie, it adds quite a bit of protein! Try blending in ¼ cup to ½ cup, to taste.
Other flavor variations
There are a few additional flavor variations you can try to mix up the flavors in your strawberry banana smoothie! We think it’s perfect as is, but you could always try:
- Lemon: Squeeze in the juice from 1 lemon wedge to brighten the flavors.
- Vanilla. Use ¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla to add complexity.
- Mint or basil. Add a few fresh mint or basil leaves for an herbaceous spin.
- Pineapple. Substitute 1 cup of the frozen berries for 1 cup frozen pineapple.
- Mango or peach. Substitute 1 cup of the frozen berries for 1 cup frozen mangos or peaches.
Can you store this strawberry banana smoothie?
Actually, you can! Smoothies are best eaten immediately. But you can store this strawberry banana smoothie for 1 to 2 days refrigerated. Store it in a sealed container or a mason jar with the lid on. If it separates (which is perfectly normal), just shake it up and you’re good to go.
Why would you store it? It’s actually perfect for breakfast on the good. Mix up a smoothie the night before, and you can enjoy it for breakfast the next day.
This strawberry banana smoothie recipe is…
Vegetarian, vegan, plant-based, dairy-free, and gluten-free.
More smoothie recipes
Here are a few of our favorite smoothie recipes:
- Greens: Kale, Avocado, Green, Celery, or Spinach Smoothie The flavor is so irresistible, you’ll forget you’re eating all those healthy ingredients.
- Creamy: Vanilla Protein, Yogurt, or Peanut Butter Smoothie They taste a little like milkshakes…but they’re healthy smoothies!
- Berries: Mixed Berry, Strawberry, Fruit, Blueberry, Strawberry Mango or Blueberry Banana Smoothie Full of sweet fruity flavor!
- Fruits: Banana, Pineapple, Peach, Mango, Orange, or Watermelon Smoothie Juicy and lightly sweet: perfectly refreshing.
Another healthy drink? Try our homemade kombucha!