A fresh breakfast smoothie made with pineapple and fresh ginger root with a hint of mint. A refreshing breakfast drink that is light, delicious, and super healthy. Great for cleansing and also to build up immunity.
After a week of traveling in India and eating delicious street food, I wanted something light for breakfast and while my sister was planning poha or aloo ka paratha, I told her I just want some fresh fruit smoothie. There was a whole pineapple and I made a glass each for both of us :-).
This two ingredients ginger and pineapple smoothie is delicious, nutritious and super easy to make. When we went on a detox program 2 years ago, pineapple juice with a little bit of fresh ginger was our morning drink on most days. Our naturopathy doctor was insistent that we need to eat at least a cup of pineapple every day!
How does Pineapple help detoxify your body?
Pineapple is rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants contain natural sugars and a great source of dietary fiber. But its key cleansing property comes from an enzyme called Bromelain.
- Healthy Digestion: Bromelain helps in breaking down protein and its digestion. Pineapple is a good source of soluble and insoluble fiber that helps prevent diarrhea and constipation and improve digestive health.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory enzyme. It helps reduce inflammation, relieve pain and also aids in recovery from injuries and post workout. The anti-inflammatory properties of pineapple also help boost immunity. The vitamin C helps in preventing colds, cough, and sinusitis.
Quick Trivia: Did you know that a pineapple plant bears fruit only once a year and produces a single pineapple in one year? :O
Also each pineapple is a collection of berries fused together around the central core!
Next time, you get a pineapple, really revere in its uniqueness!
Benefits of adding Ginger Root to smoothies and juices
Ginger is a great addition to this smoothie not only because of the spicy kick it adds to the sweet pineapple smoothie but also because of its many health benefits. Ginger beautifully adds on the healthy pineapple smoothie:
- It is a natural anti-inflammatory.
- It helps prevent cold and flu.
- It eases nausea, stomach aches, and also heart burn.
- Studies have shown that ginger has anti-cancer and anti-diabetic properties as well.
Since ginger is very strong in taste, adding a little amount to smoothies makes it easy to consume ginger. Just about ½ inch or thumb size ginger root per glass is enough.
With just ginger and pineapple, this smoothie is vegan, low calorie and nutrition rich. Pineapples contain natural sugars and I normally do not add any additional sweetener to this smoothie but if you want, you can add just about 1 tbsp of maple or agave syrup.
Connect with me
If you try this recipe, I would really love to know. Tag your picture with #weekendkitchen on Instagram or connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or Pinterest. Or join our newest journey into Recipe Videos.
Would love to start a conversation, share recipes, cooking experiences and food stories from India and around the world.