Creamy Cucumber Salad ~ a refreshing and healthy side dish that pairs perfectly with any meal. In just 10 minutes, you can assemble this salad of crisp sliced cucumbers tossed in a simple Greek yogurt and dill dressing. It’s a versatile dish that can be enjoyed throughout the year, not just in the summertime.
A Salad for All Seasons
For some reason, I always associate this Creamy Cucumber Salad with summertime, farm stands, and grilling. However, last week, I found myself with all the ingredients in the refrigerator and in need of an easy side dish, so I decided to make it with Apricot Glazed Pork Tenderloin. It was a delightful combination that reminded me not to limit this salad to just one season.
Choosing a Healthier Option
In the past, I used to enjoy this Creamy Cucumber Salad with full-fat sour cream. However, these days, I’ve made the switch to using plain Greek yogurt in many of my recipes. It adds a creamy texture and tangy flavor without the extra calories. I don’t miss the sour cream at all, except maybe just a little. But if you prefer, you can still use sour cream as a substitute for the Greek yogurt in this recipe.
Ingredients for Creamy Cucumber Salad
- English/seedless cucumber
- Plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Red onion
- Lemon juice
- Dill (fresh or dry)
- White vinegar
- Milk (any percentage you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Simple Steps to Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Begin by thinly slicing the cucumber. If the seeds are larger, cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, scrape out the seeds, and then slice it for the salad.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the plain Greek yogurt, finely diced onion, lemon juice, dill, vinegar, and milk. Season with salt and pepper according to your taste. If the sauce is too thick, add a splash of milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add the sliced cucumber to the sauce, ensuring that it is well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. Give it a light stir before serving.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
Creamy Cucumber Salad can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. However, it is best enjoyed right after it’s made when the cucumbers are at their crispiest. If you want to prepare the salad ahead of time, keep the dressing and sliced cucumbers separate until closer to serving time. This will help maintain the freshness and crunchiness of the cucumbers.
Creamy Cucumber Salad goes well with almost anything! Here are a few serving suggestions to spark your culinary imagination:
- Honey Balsamic Pork Tenderloin: Juicy flavor-packed pork with a sweet-savory glaze ready in just 20 minutes.
- Potato Pancakes: Authentic Polish Potato Pancakes with a lightly crisp exterior and tender potato interior.
- Beef Sliders: Mini ground beef patties topped with caramelized onions and gooey melted cheese, a family favorite.
- Fried Fish: Swap out the classic coleslaw and serve Creamy Cucumber Salad at your next fish fry.
If you love the flavors of cucumbers and dill, you must try the Cucumber Dill Salmon recipe. It has been one of the most popular recipes on the blog for several years running.
Enjoy this refreshing and versatile Creamy Cucumber Salad as a delightful complement to your favorite meals. Don’t forget to visit Family Cuisine for more easy and tasty recipes.