Thinly-sliced fresh basil added at the end makes this Green Bean and Tomato Salad such a delightful summer treat!
PIN the Green Bean and Tomato Salad to make it later!
It’s a big holiday weekend in the U.S. and to encourage you to make some special food for the holiday I’m reminding you about this Green Bean and Tomato Salad for my Friday Favorites pick!
Three things bumped this salad up into WOW status for me: the use of slivers of sweet onion for a boost of flavor, the thinly sliced fresh basil added at the end, and a very flavorful dressing with lemon, garlic, and dried oregano. But seriously I love absolutely everything about this salad!
If you like green beans at all (and especially if you’re growing green beans and looking for ways to use them), this salad is a must-make! And it will definitely be a festive addition to your Fourth of July menu for those who are celebrating; enjoy!
What ingredients do you need for this recipe?
- thin French-style green beans
- sweet onion
- cherry tomatoes
- thinly-sliced fresh basil
- salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- extra-virgin olive oil (see notes)
- fresh-squeezed lemon juice, I used my fresh-frozen lemon juice
- minced fresh garlic or Minced Garlic (affiliate link) from a jar
- Dried Oregano (affiliate link)
- sea salt
What kind of green beans did I use?
Years ago I discovered those wonderful thin French green beans at Costco, and even after I started growing my own green beans I’d still buy the Costco ones when I had a craving for green beans. This amazing salad was so delicious made with those Costco beans, and it’s one of the reason green beans show up regularly on my shopping list.
Can you use other tomatoes for this recipe?
The salad was great with the cherry tomatoes that I used. But if you have larger fresh tomatoes, just cut them into chunks. I might drain the tomatoes in a colander if they’re extra juicy.
Want More Summer Tomato Salads?
Check out 20 Summer Tomato Salads for lots more amazing salad ideas for summer tomatoes!
How to make Green Bean and Tomato Salad:
(Scroll down for complete recipe with nutritional information.)
- I like fresh beans best when they still have a bit of crunch, so we steamed the beans for this recipe for just about 5 minutes.
- Then we immediately put them in ice water to keep them crisp.
- Drain the beans very well.
- Cut up the cherry tomatoes, and cut the sweet onion into slivers. (We used Vidalia onions, but any type of sweet onion will be good.)
- Whisk together the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, dried oregano, and a little salt to make the tasty dressing.
- Wash basil leaves, spin dry in a salad spinner (affiliate link) or dry with paper towels and then cut into thin strips. I used my beloved Herb Scissors (affiliate link) to cut the basil.
- Toss together the beans, tomatoes, and onions, then toss with dressing and gently stir in the sliced basil.
- Season the salad with salt and a little fresh ground pepper as desired and serve.
Make it a Low-Carb Meal:
Something like Low-Carb Marinated Beef Kabobs, Grilled Cuban Flank Steak, Very Greek Grilled Chicken, Grilled Cod with Garlic, Basil, and Lemon, or Grilled Salmon Burgers with Caper Mayonnaise would be delicious with this salad for a low-carb meal.
More Amazing Tomato Salads for Summer:
Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese
Green Bean, Tomato, and Feta Salad
Tomato, Olive, and Fresh Mozzarella Salad
Avocado Tomato Salad
Tomato Cucumber Avocado Salad
Low-Carb Diet / Low-Glycemic Diet / South Beach Diet Suggestions: This salad is not only low in carbs and great for the original South Beach Diet, but it’s also gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. I’d say that makes this a delicious healthy salad for any type of diet, wouldn’t you agree?
Find More Recipes Like This One: Use the Salads Index to find more recipes like this one. Use the Diet Type Index to find recipes suitable for a specific eating plan. You might also like to follow Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Facebook, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the good recipes I’m sharing there.
Historical Notes for this Recipe: This salad was first posted in 2016. It was last updated with more information in 2022.
For more information, please see more information about Salad with green beans and tomatoes