This Green Coconut Curry Lentil Soup is not just another lentil soup recipe – it’s a delicious and hearty vegan dinner idea that will leave you craving for more. With its amazing flavor and easy preparation, this soup is perfect for meal prep and makes fantastic leftovers. Packed with plant-based protein and fiber, it’s a dish that will keep you satisfied and energized throughout the day.
Ingredients for Green Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
Curries offer great flexibility when it comes to vegetables, allowing you to use what you have on hand. Here’s what you need to make this tasty coconut curry lentil soup:
- Onion: Sautéed onions add incredible flavor to the soup.
- Garlic: Garlic enhances the taste, but if you’re on the FODMAP diet, you can omit it.
- Sweet Potato: Despite being slightly controversial, sweet potatoes bring a lovely texture and a hint of sweetness to the curry.
- Cauliflower: Fiber-rich cauliflower not only adds texture but also provides numerous health benefits.
- Eggplant: Absorbing the flavors, eggplant is a beautiful addition to this Thai-inspired curry. However, feel free to swap it with your favorite vegetable.
- Green Curry Paste: Using a store-bought paste is the easiest way to achieve the authentic green curry flavor. Thai Kitchen offers a great option, but you can also make your own.
- Fresh Turmeric: Fresh turmeric adds a vibrant color and a touch of anti-inflammatory goodness. Ground turmeric can be used as a substitute.
- Fresh Ginger: The combination of ginger and curry creates a match made in heaven, with the fresh ginger bringing a delightful flavor.
- Green Lentils: Green lentils cook relatively quickly and serve as a fantastic source of plant-based protein. However, you can use brown lentils if that’s what you have on hand.
- Coconut Milk: Creamy and rich in flavor, coconut milk is the perfect liquid base for this curry lentil soup. For a lighter option, you can use a combination of full-fat and lite coconut milk.
- Greens: Adding greens at the end is a signature touch in many of my soup recipes. Feel free to use spinach, kale, chard, collards, or any other greens you prefer.
How to Make Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
Making this coconut curry lentil soup is a breeze. Start by sautéing the onion and garlic to enhance their flavor. Then, add the rest of the vegetables and sauté them until they are cooked to your liking. Next, add the spices and let them release their flavors. Finally, incorporate the lentils and coconut milk, and let the soup simmer for 30-40 minutes until the lentils are tender and the sweet potatoes are perfectly cooked. Stir in the greens and cook them until wilted.
Serve this delightful soup with a dollop of coconut yogurt, some hot peppers, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro. The combination of flavors will leave your taste buds dancing with joy.
Everything You Need to Know About Lentil Soup
Before we dive into making this coconut curry lentil soup, let’s address some common questions about using and cooking lentils:
Do you have to soak lentils before cooking them?
No, you don’t need to soak lentils before cooking them. Unlike other beans, lentils can be cooked without presoaking. Green and brown lentils typically take around 30-40 minutes to cook, while black lentils require 35-45 minutes, and red lentils only need about 10 minutes.
Do you cook lentils before adding them to soup?
No, you don’t need to cook lentils before adding them to your soup. They will cook perfectly in the broth, provided you have enough liquid for them to cook in. Aim for a 2:1 ratio of liquid to lentils, using 2 cups of water or broth for every 1 cup of lentils.
Can you overcook lentils?
Although lentils can become mushy when overcooked, this is not a major concern when they are used in soups. Even if slightly overcooked, they still retain their delicious taste and contribute to the overall heartiness of the dish.
Substitution Ideas for Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
If you want to explore different flavors and ingredients, here are some substitution ideas for this soup:
- Vegetables: Feel free to use any combination of vegetables you prefer. Just remember to maintain a total of 6 cups for the entire soup.
- Coconut Milk: While coconut milk imparts a unique flavor, you can substitute it with almond or cashew milk if you prefer or have dietary restrictions.
- Oil: If you prefer an oil-free version, you can sauté the ingredients in water instead.
- Fresh Spices: Fresh spices can be replaced with ground spices. Use 2 teaspoons of ground spices as a substitute.
If you have any other ideas for substitutions, please share them in the comments!
I hope you enjoy this coconut curry lentil soup as much as we do. It’s become a family favorite, even among those who are not accustomed to plant-based meals. For more delicious recipes and inspiration, visit Family Cuisine.
More Amazing Recipes with Lentils
If you can’t get enough of lentils, here are some more recipes you’ll love:
- Instant Pot Lentil Chili
- Detox Turmeric Lentil Soup
- Butternut Squash & Lentil Patties
- Creamy Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Curry
- Slow Cooker Lentil Sloppy Joes
- Creamy Superfood Kale & Lentil Quinoa Salad