- What Makes This a “Detox” Smoothie?
- Detox Smoothie Ingredients
- Will This Smoothie Help You Lose Weight?
- More Vegan Smoothies You’ll Love
- How to make the Easy Detox Smoothie ( 1- Minute Video):
- Detox Smoothie Nutrition (for the whole batch): Calories: 198, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 51, Fiber: 8g, Protein: 2g
This Detox Smoothie is like drinking a liquid vitamin! The ingredients in this particular smoothie are carefully chosen to flood your body with nutrients, without using any specialty powders or expensive supplements. Instead, you just need a few fruits and vegetables that you may already have in your fridge!
What Makes This a “Detox” Smoothie?
As you may know, I don’t believe in drastic detox diets and cleanses. I think the only real way to detox your body is to consistently enjoy more whole foods and eat less processed ones that contain artificial coloring, flavors, and ingredients. This smoothie will help you do just that!
Detox Smoothie Ingredients
The ingredients in this smoothie are loaded with nutrients, and in turn, should help to support your body’s natural detox organs, including the kidneys, liver, and skin.
Here are some of the potential health benefits:
- Green Apple: This particular apple is lower in sugar than the red variety, and apples, in general, may help in weight loss by making you feel fuller longer. One study has shown that eating an apple a day may be almost as effective as taking a statin drug at reducing the risk for heart disease. The pectin that apples contain acts as a prebiotic and may promote the growth of good bacteria in your gut, too!
- Pineapple: Rich in antioxidants, this tropical fruit also contains bromelaine, a protein digesting enzyme. It helps break protein down into into amino acids, and as a result may boost digestion. This digestive enzyme may also help to boost immunity and lower inflammation in the body. (source)
- Banana: Bananas are a great source of potassium, and potassium-rich diets may help to lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease. According to Healthline, one 13-year study showed that women who eat bananas 2 to 3 times a week may have a 33% lower risk of developing kidney disease.
- Ginger: Ginger is considered to have anti-inflammatory effects in the body and may help to lower fasting blood sugar levels. (source) It has also been shown to speed up digestion, causing the stomach to empty faster.
- Spinach: This leafy green is neutral in flavor when you add it to a smoothie, and this study has shown that it may help to prevent oxidative damage in the body. Spinach also contains powerful plant compounds and antioxidants, like lutein and kaempferol, that are thought to promote eye health and decrease the risk of cancer.
- Cilantro: This fresh herb contains a compound called dodecanal that has been shown to have antibacterial effects against salmonella. It is also thought to combat against heavy metal toxicity, which is why it so commonly added to detox drinks and recipes. (source)
- Lime: Limes are loaded with antioxidants and are a great source of vitamin C, which may help to boost your immune system! Vitamin C has been shown to increase the production of white blood cells in test tube studies, which may help to protect against infections and disease.
With all of these ingredients, this smoothie is loaded with fiber that will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, without a lethargic or sluggish feeling that can come from eating something less nutritious. I find that when I start my day with a smoothie, I tend to eat better for the rest of the day, too. (And that’s the goal, right?)
Will This Smoothie Help You Lose Weight?
Since this detox smoothie is loaded with nutrient-dense, low-calorie foods, I think it’s a good choice if you’re trying to lose weight. The pectin found in apples and the fiber in all of these ingredients will help keep you full, and if you use it as a meal replacement you may end up eating fewer calories than you normally would, which may also contribute to weight loss.
More Vegan Smoothies You’ll Love
If you love this smoothie, I think you’ll love the following recipes, too.
- Kale Smoothie
- PB&J Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Sweet Potato Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe any time you feel like a nutrient boost. It makes a light breakfast or snack, and for food combining purposes, this falls into the fresh fruit category, so it will digest quickly.
How to make the Easy Detox Smoothie ( 1- Minute Video):
Detox Smoothie Nutrition (for the whole batch): Calories: 198, Fat: 1g, Carbohydrates: 51, Fiber: 8g, Protein: 2g
- Feel free to make any substitutions that you’d like to in this recipe. Parsley is a good alternative for the cilantro, and frozen mango works as a good swap for pineapple. If you don’t care for bananas in a smoothie, try using 1/4 of an avocado instead to add creaminess.
If you try this recipe, please let me know how you like it in the comments below! And if you try a substitution, I’d love to hear about it, too. We can all learn from your experience!
Reader Feedback: What’s your favorite smoothie combination?