When you want something fancy for dinner, you can’t go wrong with Grilled Filet Mignon. It’s quite possibly one of the most tender, juicy, and delicious steaks you’ll ever have.
Reading: Filet mignon cook time grill
Perfect Grilled Filet Mignon
Filet mignon is a prized cut of beef that is as delicious and fancy as the name sounds. Filet mignon steaks are cut from the smaller portion of the tenderloin, and they are arguably one of the most tender cuts of beef. Since filet mignon is so tender and delicious, it’s one of the most desirable and expensive steaks you’ll ever have.
I’m all for splurging once in a while, and on those special occasions when you want a REALLY good steak, this recipe for grilled filet mignon will deliver.
How to Season Filet Mignon for Grilling
Many folks keep their seasoning for filet mignon simple with salt and pepper. If you’re wanting to keep things as basic as possible, feel free to season your steaks with equal parts salt and pepper prior to grilling.
If you’re looking for a filet mignon that will blow your taste buds out of the water, I highly recommend using my awesome Homemade Steak Rub. It’s a salt and pepper-based rub with lots of flavor and a kiss of heat from the cayenne pepper (you can alter the amount of this as needed to increase or decrease the heat).
Here’s what you’ll need to put together the steak rub (exact amounts are available in my printable recipe below):
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Smoked paprika
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Crushed corainder seeds
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
And as one final option for this steak, you can also use my amazing Beef Seasoning to season your filet mignon. This seasoning is available for purchase from Patio Provisions, and it’s delivered straight to your door!
How to Grill Filet Mignon
Once you have your filet mignon seasoned with either kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper or my homemade steak rub, it’s time to get those steaks on the grill.
- Preheat the grill. For this recipe, you’ll need to preheat your grill for 2-zone cooking (If cooking on a charcoal grill, move your briquettes to one side of the grill. If cooking on a gas grill, turn half the burners on). Aim for an overall temp of your grill to be around 350 degrees F.
- Grill over indirect heat. Begin by placing your steaks on the indirect heat side of the grill. For this first cook, you’re aiming for your steaks to be within 10 degrees of your final target temperature. I recommend cooking filet mignon to medium rare or medium. This first step took me approximately 35-40 minutes. Flip your steaks halfway through this first cook, around the 20-minute mark.
- Sear hot. Pull your steaks off the indirect heat and place them on the direct heat side of the grill for the final sear. You can also do this final step in a 12″ cast iron skillet. Sear the steaks for a few minutes on each side until they reach your final target temperature (see the recipe card below for exact temperatures).
How Long to Grill Filet Mignon
It takes approximately 45 minutes to grill filet mignon on a gas grill preheated to 350 degrees F. I prefer to grill my filet mignon to medium rare doneness, so this time will vary depending on how well you like your steak cooked.
By using a meat thermometer, you can pull the filet mignon off the grill when it is cooked to your preference (remember to pull these steaks when they are 10 degrees from your target temperature. Scroll below to view the notes for this recipe for exact temperatures.
More Grilled Steak Recipes
Steak is one of many favorite things to make here at Hey Grill Hey, and we like to cook them all! Now that you’ve tried this amazing filet mignon, try your hand at some of these other tasty grilled steak recipes:
Marinated and Grilled Flank SteakNew York Strip SteakGrilling the Perfect Reverse Seared Steak
Grilled Filet Mignon Recipe
Making gourmet BBQ should be easy, and Hey Grill Hey is here to help! I’m all about helping you make better BBQ, feed the people you love, and become a backyard BBQ hero. If you want to see more of my recipes, tips, and behind the scenes action, follow along on my social channels. You can find me on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube!
Read more: Santa Maria Style Tri Tip Steak
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Filet mignon cook time grill