These grilled mushrooms are an easy, delicious summer side dish! Seasoned with tamari and balsamic vinegar, they’re meaty, juicy, and SO flavorful.
Grilled Mushrooms Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to make this grilled mushrooms recipe:
- Mushrooms, of course! I like grilling portobellos to use in tacos or as mushroom burgers. Grilled cremini mushrooms are a great veggie side dish.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – It adds richness to the mushrooms and prevents them from drying out on the grill (or sticking to it!).
- Balsamic vinegar and tamari – I often use these ingredients when I cook mushrooms, as they enhance the mushrooms’ natural umami flavor. They make these grilled mushrooms taste tangy, rich, and savory. You won’t believe how flavorful they are!
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – The pepper gives the mushrooms a nice kick, and the salt makes all the flavors pop.
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
How to Make Grilled Mushrooms
Also read: Grilled Mushrooms – Dinner at the Zoo
These grilled mushrooms are super easy to make! Here’s what you need to do:
First, clean the mushrooms. Whenever you clean mushrooms, you should wipe them clean with a damp paper towel or kitchen towel instead of rinsing them under running water. They act like little sponges, so if you do rinse them, they’ll become waterlogged, and they won’t soak up the delicious seasonings in the next step. Just wipe off any visible dirt, and you’ll be ready to cook!
Next, if you’re using portobellos, remove the stems. You can leave them on if you’re cooking creminis – just trim off any dried-out ends.
Then, season the mushrooms. Place them on a large plate or baking sheet, and drizzle on the olive oil, balsamic, and tamari. You’ll notice that I don’t include measurements for these ingredients in my recipe. The amount doesn’t have to be exact – just make sure to drizzle generously! These ingredients are essential for creating the mushrooms’ juicy, meaty texture and bold flavor on the grill. You don’t want to skimp on them!
Also read: Balsamic Marinated Grilled Mushrooms
Sprinkle on the salt and pepper, and use your hands to make sure the mushrooms are thoroughly coated in the oil and seasonings.
Next, assemble skewers. If you’re using cremini mushrooms, thread them onto metal or soaked wooden skewers. If you’re using portobellos, skip this step! You’ll put the whole caps right on the grill.
Finally, cook. Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium heat. Place the cremini skewers on the grill, or set the portobellos on the grill, gill side up. Cook each until the mushrooms are charred on the first side, then flip the mushrooms. They’re ready when they’re tender, juicy, and charred on both sides.
Grilled Mushrooms Serving Suggestions
There are SO many ways to serve these easy grilled mushrooms! The simplest one is as a side dish. Enjoy the mushrooms plain, or dress them up with fresh herbs or a tasty sauce like chimichurri, Greek salad dressing, or cilantro lime dressing. We love them tossed in a little melted garlic butter, too.
Here are a few more delicious ways to serve them:
- In tacos. Slice grilled portobello mushroom caps and use them as a hearty taco filling! I love to tuck them into tortillas with avocado sauce, pickled red onions, and a scoop of mango salsa.
- As a veggie burger. Load up a hamburger bun with a grilled portobello and your favorite fixings!
- In a burrito bowl. Use sliced portobellos or creminis in this vegan burrito bowl recipe.
- In pastas. Toss the mushrooms into a summery pasta with your favorite grilled veggies! You could use grilled instead of roasted veggies in this roasted vegetable pasta recipe, or try the Grilled Eggplant & Summer Veggie Pasta on page 139 of The Love & Lemons Cookbook.
- Over polenta. Swap the grilled mushrooms in for the sautéed mushrooms in this mushroom polenta recipe.
How do you like to serve grilled mushrooms? Let me know in the comments!
More Favorite Grilling Recipes
If you love this grilled mushrooms recipe, try one of these veggie grilling recipes next:
- Best Veggie Burger
- Black Bean Burger
- Grilled Tofu
- Easy Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Perfect Grilled Eggplant
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers
- Or any of these 31 Best Grilling Recipes!
Love mushroom recipes? Try my stuffed mushrooms, mushroom gravy, or mushroom pasta!
For more information, please see more information about Marinade for mushrooms on the grill