Slow cooked beef stew in crockpot makes a great meal anytime of the year. In the cold months it keeps you warm, and in the hot months it’s a filling meal that does not require the oven.
This healthy recipe of beef stew for crock pot is low in calories, and packed full of hearty vegetables to boost your metabolism, and keep you full for hours.
The crockpot beef stew recipe is a combination of the recipes in two of my cookbooks Lose Weight By Eating and Lose Weight With Your Instant Pot.
As a 4 time best selling cookbook author I can assure you I have come up with the best crockpot stew beef that is low in calories, high in nutrition… And best of all, doesn’t taste “healthy” at all!
If you’re looking for a low calorie crock pot beef stew recipe, this one is a crowd pleaser… and it doesn’t taste healthy either.
Healthy Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crockpot
Slow cooker beef stew just sounds like a winter meal, but I also love making it in the summer when I don’t want to turn on my oven!
This beef stew recipe for crock pot is a great way to feed a lot of people, without a lot of effort. And if you want to make this meal even more fabulous, see the section below for How to Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stew.
What you’ll find in this article:
- Crockpot Beef Stew Shopping List
- How to Make Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crockpot
- Healthy Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crockpot (recipe card!)
- How to Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stew
In this article you will find all the resources to make the best beef stew slow cooker recipes.
This low calorie recipe for slow cooked beef stew in crockpot is easy to make, especially if you have a “bottom heating” slow cooker like the Ninja 2-in-1 Stove Top Digital Slow Cooker.
Crockpot Beef Stew Shopping List
In this section I will supply you with all of the ingredients you’ll need to make my healthy recipe for slow cooker stew beef.
In the printable recipe card below you will find exact measurements and cooking directions for crockpot stew recipes.
Shopping List for Beef Stew on Crock Pot:
- Olive Oil
- Lean beef stew meat
- Flour (all-purpose or gluten free)
- White mushrooms
- Beef broth
- Tomato paste
- Red wine (optional)
You may notice that this beef stew recipe in a slow cooker has more vegetables than the traditional crock pot stew recipe.
I add in “meat mimicking” ingredients like mushrooms and potatoes so that you don’t have to spend so much money on meat. Plus they help make larger portions of this 200 calorie beef stew recipe crock pot dish.
I add extra “meat mimicking” ingredients so you can have more of this delicious slow cooked beef stew in crockpot recipe, for fewer calories!
How to Make Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crockpot
Making a healthy beef stew recipe in a slow cooker is easy, and it makes a great new cook recipe. If you’re teaching your kids to cook, this starter recipe is easy, they can dump in the ingredients.
I have a few tips to help you make the best beef stew recipe for slow cooker. Those will be discussed in the directions here.
How to Make Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crockpot:
- In a skillet (or your slow cooker if it has a sauté setting) heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- In a bowl toss the beef in the flour and paprika, then add to the skillet in small batches. And brown on all sides, moving the beef to the slow cooker as you work.
- Once all of the meat is browned and in the slow cooker, add in the garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots mushrooms, and celery.
- Add 1 cup of broth to the skillet and cook on medium-high heat scraping all of the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the cooked broth, the remaining broth, tomato paste, rosemary, sage and red wine to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 6-9 hours.
- Uncover the slow cooker for the last hour of cooking to help thicken the sauce.
This beef stew in slow cooker recipe can be made easier if you have a sauté setting on your slow cooker.
Simply skip the skillet directions, and make the recipe for beef stew crock pot start to finish in the slow cooker.
This healthy slow cooked beef stew in crockpot is only 205 calories per cup! It’s so low in calories that you can have 2 servings!
Healthy Slow Cooked Beef Stew in Crock Pot
I love this recipe for beef stew crockpot… I make it all year long!
I know that crock pot stews might seam like a strange summer meal, but you don’t need to use the oven and you can walk away while it cooks. Which makes this recipe for slow cooked beef stew ideal for busy summer schedules, as well as cold winter evenings.
Find delicious ways to serve beef stew recipes in a slow cooker below…
How to Serve Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Slow cooked beef stew in a crockpot is a great easy meal! But what if you are feeling a large group and need side dishes?
Or what if you’re making this slow cooker beef stew to impress? This section has sides and ways to serve so you can take your crockpot beef stew recipe to the next level.
How to Serve Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe:
- Serve with French bread, it’s a lovely way to take this recipe to the next level without having to cook anything else. I like to stick to one slice of bread to keep calories and carbs low.
- Over Mashed Potatoes, and do I have an amazing low calorie mashed potato recipe below for you to try!
- Potluck style, I love to bring this slow cooker beef stew to potlucks! It’s quite the crowd pleaser!
- Right from the freezer! This crockpot beef stew recipe holds great in the freezer. You can add it to the slow cooker on low setting for 2 hours to reheat without any effort!
Side Dishes to go with Beef Stew for Crock Pot Recipe:
Final Thoughts on Crock Pot Stew
As you can see, making crockpot beef stew recipes can be healthy and delicious!
Here at Lose Weight By Eating we have one rule… it MUST taste as good, or better than the full fat version. Otherwise you might as well have the recipe as a sometimes treat.
This recipe for slow cooker beef stew is healthy and delicious, and at only 205 calories for 1 cup… You can have two servings and be stuffed, for only 410 calories!
This recipe is filling and delicious and completely impressive! If you’re looking for more impressive beef recipes, see below…
What to Read Next:
Lose Weight By Eating Cookbooks
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Is beef stew good for you