Nothing beats this healthy taco salad recipe in the summertime. Crisp veggies, creamy dressing & crunchy tortilla strips make it fresh & fun to eat.
Taco Salad Recipe Ingredients
To make a great taco salad, you need a mix of textures and tastes – something creamy, something zesty, something crunchy, something tangy, and something crisp – all over lots of greens. Here’s what I use to make this healthy taco salad recipe so filling, fresh, and fun:
- Romaine lettuce, because it wouldn’t be a taco salad without a base of crispy greens!
- Shiitake Walnut Taco “Meat” and Black Beans, for savory, smoky flavor and hearty texture
- Tomatoes and pico de gallo, for a juicy contrast to the crunchy veggies and tortilla strips
- Tortilla strips, for that irresistible toasted corn flavor and crispy texture
- Red cabbage and radishes, for bright pops of color and extra crunch
- Jalapeño, for a little heat
- Sliced avocado & avocado cilantro lime dressing, for a zingy, creamy finish
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
Healthy Taco Salad Tips
- Make your own tortilla strips by toasting corn tortillas in the oven. That way, you can control how crispy they get and how much oil you use. But if you’re crunched for time, crushed tortilla chips or store bought tortilla strips work here too.
- Skip the spice. If you’re not a fan of spicy food, feel free to leave out the jalapeño! You could also use pickled jalapeño for an extra tangy pop.
- Make it ahead. If you prep the components ahead of time and store them separately, this recipe is a great choice for a make-ahead lunch. Assemble the salad in the morning, and toss on the dressing and the avocado right before you’re ready to eat! See this post for more of my best lunch-packing tips.
Taco Salad Recipe Variations
Like all salad recipes, this one is great to play with. Swap in the veggies you have on hand or adjust the toppings to make something you really love. Here are some suggestions:
- Switch the sauce. Any of the 3 versions of my cilantro lime dressing would work here. Omit the avocado and serve it as a vinaigrette, or use Greek yogurt instead of the avocado to make it creamy. You could also skip this dressing entirely and finish the salad with tomatillo salsa or chipotle sauce.
- Change up the creamy component. I love avocado here, but guacamole is just as good. Alternatively, try adding crumbled Cotija or grated cheddar cheese, cashew sour cream, or Greek yogurt!
- Make it fruity. Substitute mango or pineapple salsa for the pico, or use both!
- Vary the veggies. Raw or sautéed bell pepper, charred poblano, corn, or green onions would all be great additions.
- Make it a burrito bowl! Reduce the lettuce by half and add a scoop of cilantro lime rice to the bottom of your bowl.
More Favorite Mexican-Inspired Recipes
If you love this healthy taco salad, try one of these delicious recipes next:
- Baked Green Chile Taquitos
- Homemade Tortillas
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Best Breakfast Burrito
- Vegan Burrito Bowl
- Or any of these 11 best vegetarian taco recipes or 21 sides for tacos!
For more easy dinner ideas, check out this post!
Please see more list about Taco salad dressing recipe healthy