This Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew is a great way to feed your family an easy, healthy, economical & delicious one pot meal. Make this Instant Pot Beans and sausage with dried Great Northern Beans & your favorite sausage under 30 mins. The best economical dinner recipe that the whole family will love.
Sausage and Beans Stew
You’ll never eat canned beans again once you make this delicious Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew.
Reading: White bean and sausage stew
This Instant Pot White Beans and Sausage is such a great One Pot meal to feed a large crowd or a big family.
You can stretch the dollar and still feed your family a nutrient rich meal that is both delicious & easy.
After all beans are super healthy.
They are a powerhouse of essential nutrients and the most economical food that you can cook in so many different ways like soups, stews, casseroles, baked dishes etc.
Today’s recipe will yield you a Delicious bowl of nutritious white beans stewed with a few veggies & your favorite Sausage.
And you can enjoy it all 365 days a year with some crusty bread and cheese on the side.
I made the sausage stew with Bratwurst Sausages and Great Northern White Beans but you can use your favorite sausage like Italian, Andouille or smoked sausages.
What is Herbed White Beans and Sausage Stew?
Sausage and White Bean Stew is a hearty, filling & economical one pot meal that’s made with Great Northern Beans, any sausage variety & a few veggies.
You can flavor this sausage stew with herbs of your choice.
This Herbed White Bean and Sausage Stew is a great way to feed a delicious meal to a large family or a huge crowd without breaking the bank.
Instant Pot White Beans and Sausage Ingredients
For this easy 30 mins recipe you’ll need a few ingredients which you might already have in your pantry & fridge.
- Great Northern White Beans: I used dried beans and soaked them over night, you may directly make the recipe with dried beans but that will increase the cooking time. Canned beans are welcome too, they will make an even quicker meal.
- Sausage: I used Bratwurst Sausage. You may use Italian Sausage, Andouille Sausage or even smoked sausage. Use whatever you have in your fridge.
- Crushed tomatoes: From the can.
- Veggies: Chopped onion, carrots, celery (We ran out so did not use it), Leek (totally optional).
- Garlic: Chopped or minced.
- Hot Sauce: This is optional too but certainly gives the whole recipe a delicious face lift. Use it if you can and use any variety. We used Frank’s hot sauce.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This is that secret ingredient that adds smokiness with a bit of tang to the recipe. It’s a great flavor enhancer. Do use it and you will love the result 🙂
- Spices: Smoked Paprika & Cumin. Adds depth and earthiness. If you love rustic flavors do add them by all means.
- Oil: Olive oil.
- Liquid: Chicken Stock.
- Herbs: Fresh Thyme sprigs, bay leaf & rosemary sprig. If you do not have access to the fresh variety sub them with the dried herbs. Fresh herbs will give you the best flavors.
Read more: Pioneer woman beef stew recipes
Summary: Over night soaked beans are a healthy choice as they are gut friendly & do not cause any stomach flatulence. They are economical too as compared to canned beans which costs 3 times more and very delicious.
5 Tips to make the Best Sausage and Beans stew
- Fry the Sausages until golden brown: Or to say sear the sausages until golden brown in color. It deepens the flavors and works as a huge flavor booster.
- Do not over fry the veggies: Just sweat them out so that they become limp or soft.
- Go heavy on garlic and herbs: This adds tons of flavors and goes fantastically well with Bratwurst Sausages and Great Northern Beans.
- Do not skip the Balsamic Vinegar: It adds a lovely hue, a tad bit smokiness and tang to the recipe.
- Do not pressure cook the fried sausages: Add them after cooking the beans stew and simmer just for 2 mins. Pressure cooking the fried sausages will leave an over cooked sausage taste and the sausage will lose the seared meat flavor completely.
How to make Herbed White Beans and Sausage Stew?
Steps in words below pictures
Best Sausage Choices
You may use any from the list below. I used Bratwurst to cook today’s White Beans and sausage stew.
- Andouille Sausage.
- Bratwurst Sausage.
- Smoked Sausage.
- Italian Sausage ( If you love spicy food pick the spicy Italian Sausage).
- Chicken Sausage.
What to serve with White Beans and Sausage Stew?
You can serve it with some crusty bread and cheese on the side or a light potato salad.
We however, enjoy it as a complete meal all by itself. It’s hearty and super filling.
This Sausage and white beans casserole keeps good for 4 days in the fridge when you store it in air tight container.
Great Northern Beans and Sausage Stew – FAQs
Love Stews & Soups? Check these awesome Stews from Foodies Terminal. And Browse the entire Instant Pot Recipes from this blog.
Pin it for Later!
Please see more list about White bean and sausage stew