Have you ever experienced leaking feeling from the vagina during certain periods of time? Do you ever wonder what this discharge is? Is it normal? Should I visit a doctor? Do other women experience this too? Here is your answer . Read on to know about what white discharge really is , and some helpful Home remedies for white discharge in women.
Image :Copyright: prazis / 123RF Stock Photo
The answer to your question is “Yes”. Each and every woman experience this white discharge. Though, each and every female has different experience. Let us see the reason for this.
Why does a woman get white discharge?
There are glands present in the vagina and cervix that produce fluids. This fluid carries away dead cells and bacteria and excretes it from body. White discharge is the symbol of conditioned and normal female reproductive system. This keeps vagina clean and free of infections. The amount, odour and hue of white discharge, changes depending upon which day of the menstrual cycle you are on .
There will be heavy white discharge with,
- Breast feeding
- Sexual arousal
What are the reasons for getting white discharge?
Ovulation is the main cause of milky white discharge. It is perfectly normal. During ovulation the progesterone levels increase. The increase in progesterone leads to white discharge in women.
Menstrual cycle month:
Thick white discharge is normal for few and not for few women. With progression in the menstrual cycle post ovulation, the fluid thickens. For few if it starts suddenly then it is state of concern. Or else it is harmless for females experiencing it on normal basis.
Sexual arousal causes release vaginal discharge as a lubricant during intercourse.
Stress leads to hormonal imbalance. This causes excessive discharge. It is not harmful. De-stress yourself and the excessive white discharge will disappear.
With pregnancy there are lots of hormonal and physical changes in the female’s body. Even the vaginal glands become overactive and increase vaginal discharge. This is to keep the cervix moist, out of infection and for foetal safety. Thick white odourless discharge known as leucorrhoea is an early sign of pregnancy. It might sometimes have a very mild odour.
What are the symptoms of likoria or leucorrhoea?
If the colour, smell or consistency of white discharge is very unusual with itching or burning sensation then it signifies infection. Abnormal discharge can be yellow or green, chunky in consistency with a foul odour. It indicates yeast or bacterial infection. There is a need for a medical intervention at such times. This condition is known as likoria or leucorrhoea.
Symptoms of Leucorrhoea / Likoria –
- Foul smelling vaginal discharge
- Headaches, backache and fatigue
- Pain in the stomach
- Soreness, swelling and excessive itching in the vagina along with leucorrhoea.
- Burning sensation while urinating.
- Pain in calves and thigh muscles.
- Rashes around genitalia.
The below given Home remedies for white discharge in women will help you in relieving these symptoms.
What are the causes of abnormal discharge?
- Heavy antibiotic or steroid use
- Bacterial or fungal infection
- Yeast infections
- Vaginitis, irritation in or around the vagina
- Use of oral contraceptive pills
- Cervical cancer
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Pelvic infection after surgery
- Vaginal atrophy, the thinning and drying out of the vaginal walls during menopause.
What are the side effects of white discharge?
Yes White discharge can have certain effects on your body . These side effects become severe based on the level of white discharge . Hence early detection and early treatment will save you from a lot of pain . Using the below mentioned Home remedies for white discharge in women will help.
At an early stage:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Painful or difficult urination
- Fever or chills
- Pain or feeling of pressure in the pelvis
- Cough or hoarseness in voice
- Itching of the vagina or genital area
- Breast pain
- Lower back or side pain
- Pain during sexual intercourse
In extreme conditions:
- Fainting episodes, dizziness or light-headedness
- Hot flushes, especially on the face and neck
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Home remedies for white discharge in women
Here are some home remedies that will help you in getting rid of excessive white discharge. If you are at an early stage , these home remedies alone will be sufficiently helpful in getting rid of the white discharge . But if you are at an advanced stage, you can seek medical help along with these Home remedies for white discharge in women.
Mash ripe banana, add a teaspoon of butter and consume it twice daily for a week. The white discharge will slowly start to disappear.
Home made Vaginal wash
- Squeeze lemon and add 1 tablespoon of its juice in a glass of water. Use this mixture to wash vaginal area. It fights against fungal infection and controls its spread. This is the best Home remedies for white discharge in women. It helps in maintaining the PH balance.
- Mix alum in a glass of water. Use this water to wash vaginal area. This prevents from fungal infections.
Rice water helps to reduce white discharge. It is readily available in stores or you can make it at home. Boil rice in water and strain the rice. Use that water to drink it daily.
Take a tablespoon of methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and boil it in a litre of water until water becomes half. Consume this water daily on an empty stomach. Read Benefits of methi seeds.
Soak coriander seeds in a glass of water for overnight. Strain and drink this water on an empty stomach early in the morning for minimum 10 days.
Vaginal Masks / Applications
- Apply ripe mango pulp over vaginal area twice a day to get rid of leucorrhoea.
- Prepare paste of powdered cumin seeds and honey. Apply this around affected area. This helps reduce leucorrhoea.
- Apply lukewarm sandalwood oil on vagina 3 – 4 times in a week. It keeps bacteria from colonising around vaginal area.
Consume cranberries daily. It has antioxidant, antibacterial and anti fungal properties which fight genitalia infection and help treat white discharge.
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for white discharge in women. Consume generous amount of turmeric for itchy and burning symptoms during leucorrhoea,. It has anti fungal and antibacterial properties. Read – Benefits of Turmeric .
Antioxidant property of garlic is also helpful to treat leucorrhoea. Consume garlic on daily basis to treat leucorrhoea.
Take 2 teaspoons of dried amla (Indian gooseberries) powder with same amount of honey and consume it twice daily. Read – Benefits of Amla.
How to keep the infectious discharge at bay?
- Use cotton underwear to soak moisture.
- Keep the vaginal area clean and maintain a healthy environment around the genitals.
- If you have a heavy discharge, then you should use a panty liner to keep the area dry.
- Stop use of tampons that irritate the cervix and may lead to infections.
- Avoid vaginal deodorants or perfumed products around genital area.
You may be interested in Reading –
- How to delay periods naturally
- Diet plan to treat Urinary tract infections.
To conclude, in most cases thick white discharge is normal. It can be easily treated at home at early stages. But if you notice abnormal changes in discharge, You should check with a doctor immediately. However, try and get rid of the cause of the white discharge. Don’t feel shy to discuss the symptoms with your medical professional. Look for early signs and don’t wait until it is too bad to treat. Hope these Home remedies for white discharge in women be of help to you.
For more information, please see more information about Best food to stop white discharge naturally