Air Fryer Okra made with a cornmeal and flour breading is crispy, delicious, and air fried to perfection in only 15 minutes!
The Air Fryer is perfect for making crispy snacks and appetizers like Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Fried Pickles, and Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
Reading: how to air fry frozen okra
Air Fried Okra is the perfect crispy snack, appetizer, or side dish to make in your Air Fryer. Tossed in a cornmeal and flour mixture and then air fried to golden-brown perfection, the fresh okra gets so crispy with only a few sprays of oil.
Fried Okra is very popular in the South and often served as a side dish but it also makes a great snack to munch on!
How to make Air Fryer Okra
Start with washing and cutting the fresh Okra. Chop off the stems and ends, then cut into 1/2″ slices.
- Combine all the breading ingredients with a fork and combine the egg and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Toss okra into the egg mixture, then transfer in batches to the flour cornmeal mixture. Lightly shake off excess flour and transfer to Air Fryer Basket.
- Spray with oil. We use light olive oil spray, avocado oil spray, or coconut oil spray.
- Air fry for 10-12 minutes until golden, shaking the basket two times during cooking. Spray with more oil as needed so all the floury spots are covered.
Tips for making Air Fried Okra
- Traditional southern Okra recipes use a cornmeal-flour mixture but you can also only use flour if you don’t have cornmeal on hand.
- The cornmeal adds some more texture and flavor to the fried Okra
- Add extra seasoning to the breading mixture like cayenne pepper, paprika, or garlic powder for extra flavor or heat.
- Instead of egg and milk, you can also use 1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Use a high smoke point oil spray that is flavor neutral like avocado oil, light olive oil, or coconut oil.
- Shake the basket gently so the breading doesn’t fall off.
- Depending on your Air Fryer you might have to air fry in batches. The cooking time can also vary depending on the model you have.
- Fried Okra tastes best served right away with a sprinkle of salt
Can you air fry frozen breaded okra?
If you don’t have time to make fried okra from scratch, try making breaded frozen okra in your Air Fryer! Using an Air Fryer instead of pan-frying or deep-frying frozen breaded okra saves time and calories. Put the frozen okra in the Air Fryer Basket and air fry at 400 F for about 15 minutes until crispy, shaking the basket once or twice during cooking.
Tools and Ingredients used for Making this Recipe
Air Fryer: This is the model I own. I really like it and would recommend it for smaller families. It came with a rack which doubles the space in the basket. Before buying this model I had the older XL Air Fryer which was bigger but took a lot more space to familycuisine.net Fryer Oven: This oven is on my wishlist! I saw it at Costco and it has great reviews. It has a lot more functions than an Air Fryer!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!
Read more: how to air fry baked potato | Family Cuisine