Vinyl tile and sheet flooring are fashionable choices for properties due to their worth, sturdiness and ease of care. For routine cleansing, vinyl flooring will be swabbed with plain water and a humid mop, or with a product made for vinyl and different laborious surfaces. You too can clear vinyl flooring with a mixture of one gallon water and one cup apple cider or white vinegar.
However for deep-cleaning vinyl flooring, you’ll want extra instruments and extra steps. How typically you deep-clean is determined by how a lot foot (and paw) site visitors comes by means of your own home, bringing filth and dirt with it. Some professionals advocate a month-to-month deep-clean. At minimal, do it two or 3 times per yr to delay the lifetime of your vinyl.
Reading: How to clean a vinyl kitchen floor
Collect Your Instruments
To deep-clean your vinyl flooring, James Conner, vp of operations at Molly Maid, recommends you assemble the next instruments and provides:
- Broom or vacuum;
- Microfiber cloths;
- Baking soda;
- Putty knife;
- Vinyl ground cleaner, apple cider vinegar or white vinegar;
- Dish cleaning soap;
- Microfiber mop.
To his checklist, we’ve added a scrub brush or an outdated toothbrush.
Prep Your Flooring
- Vacuum or sweep. Begin by vacuuming or broom-sweeping your flooring to choose up floor mud. In case you vacuum, ensure you select a setting or attachment made for laborious surfaces. (Dyson’s V11 Torque Drive is a good selection for laborious flooring.)
- Buff out scuff marks. Examine for scuff marks and take away these earlier than you mop. It’s simple. Conner says simply barely dampen a microfiber material with water, then buff away the scuff.
- Pre-clean hard-to-reach spots. With a humid toothbrush or scrub brush, scrub away filth constructed up alongside baseboards, in corners and in different hard-to-reach areas. If the filth is basically resistant, attempt tackling it with a paste of baking soda and water and use your damp brush. You may want a putty knife to scrape up some actually built-up gunk, particularly within the kitchen.
With the vinegar and water combine defined above or the store-bought vinyl ground cleaner of your selection (diluted per the producer’s directions), mop the ground with a microfiber mop. In case you use the vinegar answer, Conner says you’ll be able to add two or three drops of dish cleaning soap to the bucket for somewhat suds.
Rinse the mop in your cleansing bucket typically, wringing it out in order that it’s damp however not dripping moist. Exchange soiled wash water as wanted with a brand new mixture of your most popular cleansing answer.
When you’ve completed mopping, dump your wash water, rinse and wring out the mop, then rinse-mop the ground with clear water. In case you used a vinegar and water answer you’ll be able to in all probability skip this step.
Dry the Flooring
Standing water is the enemy of vinyl tile and sheet flooring. Water can penetrate between the seams within the vinyl, creating gaps and warping and finally inflicting the adhesive to lose its grip. That’s why it’s necessary to make use of a microfiber mop as an alternative of a string mop — it’s so much simpler to wring water out of the previous.
Whenever you’re completed, dry the ground completely with clear microfiber towels. In case you don’t really feel like crawling round in your fingers and knees, attempt pushing the towels round on the tip of a sponge mop.
Notes on Linoleum
Although vinyl tile and LVT (luxurious vinyl tile) have largely changed linoleum within the flooring market, linoleum remains to be a sturdy, long-lasting flooring choice. Conner says it requires somewhat extra elbow grease to deep-clean. Observe the identical ground prepping steps, then proceed as follows:
- Sprinkle baking soda all around the ground.
- Add a couple of drops of dish cleaning soap to the vinegar and water answer.
- Mop the ground with a microfiber mop, utilizing the baking soda as a delicate scouring agent.
- Rinse the ground with clear water till there are not any traces of baking soda or cleaning soap.
- Dry the ground as per the directions above.