Learn How to Clean Blackstone Griddle the right way. These easy steps will show you that don’t need soap or brushing to get your griddle ready for grilling season.
How to Clean a Blackstone Griddle:
We love being outside and by the pool. Grilling out food is a must when summertime hits and we have been using our Blackstone Griddle nonstop.
Taking of your griddle flat top is as important as your caring for your cast iron skillet and cookware. If not cared for properly they can rust and not be useful for cooking.
The great thing about the cooking surface, it doesn’t take much to care of your griddle. These easy step by step instructions will show you what you need and how to care for your griddle so you can use it all summer long.
Can you use soup on a Blackstone Griddle?
Other than the first time cleaning your Blackstone Griddle, you should not use soap. You will clean the griddle with hot, soapy water and then dry with paper towels. After that, all you need is oil and you can continue cooking on your griddle.
That is why we love using our griddle, no need for oven cleaners or soap. Cleaning and caring for your griddle each time allows for your griddle to last.
What you will need?
- Type of Cooking Oil – For the oil, use avocado, coconut, vegetable or canola oil but do not use olive oil.
- Paper Towels – Make sure to get the lint free paper towels.
- Squirt Bottle – Use this to squirt water on your griddle.
- Metal Scraper or Spatula – This is used to remove stuck on food on the griddle.
How to Clean a Blackstone Grill:
- Cool Grill before Cleaning – Turn off the grill and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Remove any stuck on food – Scrape with a grill scraper at 45 degrees angle to remove burnt on bits.
- Squirt Water on the Grill – For stuck on sauces or food, squirt warm water on the grill and let the water boil off to remove anything that is stuck on the grill. Re-scrape the grill as needed.
- Dry Griddle – Dry completely with a lent-less paper towel.
- Oil Griddle – Then apply a small amount of oil on the grill and spread it evenly across the entire grill and sides.
- Now you are ready to Grill – Then your grill is ready for your next grilling session!
What if my Blackstone Griddle is Rusting?
If your Griddle has rusted, these steps will help restore your grill with a little deep clean. It will take some extra time and effort to get it back, but it is possible.
- Turn Grill on to High Heat. It is important to wear heat protectant gloves when working on a rusted griddle. The high heat will need to remain on during the cleaning process.
- With a metal scraper begin working on scraping off the rust. It is important to work in a methodically way so you do not miss any spots. Do not add any water and continue working on a dry surface.
- Turn the grill off and allow it to cool. Then take a lint free paper towel and remove all of the loosened rust from the surface.
- Add several drops of vegetable oil to the griddle. We recommend using a pumice grill stone to wipe away any rust and to work the oil into the griddle. If you do not have a pumice stone you can use a non-metallic scrubbing brush.
- Wipe away any loosened rust again from the griddle. If rust still remains, repeat by adding more oil to the griddle.
- Once all the rust is gone, season with fresh oil and place griddle in a dry place. This will help not having a rusted griddle again.
When should you clean and season your Blackstone Griddle:
When cooking on your Blackstone Griddle, it keeps it seasoned. But we try to do it after each use. Making sure that you griddle top has a thin coat of oil on it, keeps the Blackstone Griddle from rusting.
We following the cleaning steps after each use to ensure that it doesn’t rust. Season the griddle is the most important part of keeping your griddle ready for each use.
Cleaning after each use it is easier to remove any stuck on food our sauces.
How to Season a Blackstone Griddle:
To keep your food from stick, your Blackstone Griddle needs to be season properly. These easy steps will show you how to do it properly.
Tips for Seasoning your Blackstone Griddle:
- Never use scrubbers or abrasive cleaners to clean your griddle.
- Always wipe down your griddle to keep it moist free.
- If it looks dull, then add some oil to freshen up the griddle.
How long does it take to Season a Blackstone Griddle:
Seasoning your Blackstone Griddle is an important step prior to cooking on your grill. The process isn’t hard but it can be a bit time consuming. For each layer for oil and letting it reach it smoke point, could take up to 15 to 20 minutes.
Print Instructions here for How to Clean Blackstone Griddle:
Try these Blackstone Recipes:
- Blackstone Smash Burger Recipe
- The Best Blackstone Salmon Recipe
- Blackstone Scramble Eggs Recipe
- How to Cook Bacon on a Blackstone Griddle
Please see more list about How to clean rusted flat top grill