Bitterleaf soup is among one of the most conventional soups in Nigeria. It is belonging to the Igbos of Eastern Nigeria and also the majority of Igbos will certainly inform you that this is their preferred soup worldwide.
Exactly How to Prepare Bitter Fallen Leave Soup [Video] Ofe Owerri Exactly How to Prepare Soup with Cocoyam Flour as Thickener [Video] Attempt the reduced carbohydrate keto pleasant Bitterleaf Soup. Go here.
Extra Nigerian Soups Recipes:
- Efo Riro
- The Very Best Ogbono Soup Dish
- Edikang Ikong Soup
- Ofe Owerri
- Abak Atama Soup
- Afang Soup (Okazi Soup)
- Banga Soup (Ofe Akwu)
- Ora (Oha) Soup
- Ofe Nsala
- Egusi Soup (Fried Approach)
- Nigerian Okra Soup
- Veggie Soup (Act Edikang Ikong)
The name is fairly deceptive because a well ready Bitterleaf Soup must not have also the least anger. This is accomplished by cleaning and also pressing the bitter fallen leaves (and also transforming the water at periods) till all traces of anger has actually been cleaned off.
Read more: how to make polish easter soup
One will certainly be regarded a poor chef if his/her Bitterleaf soup preferences bitter!
- Cleaned and also pressed bitterleaf – A handful
- 10 tiny corms Cocoyam
- 3 food preparation spoons Red Hand Oil
- Diverse Beef: Consists of ideal cut, shaki (cow tripe)
- Diverse Fish: Dry Fish and also Supply Fish
- Pepper, salt and also ground crayfish (to preference)
- 3 supply dices
- 1 tsp Ogiri Igbo (conventional flavoring)
Notes on the components:
- If you are outdoors Nigeria, you can utilize dried out, cleaned and also pressed bitter fallen leaves however you require to to start with make the bitter fallen leaves soft and also fresh once again prior to including them to the soup.
- If you can deny cocoyam corms where you live, you can utilize cocoyam flour. A choice to cocoyam flour is potato flour. See just how to prepare the cocoyam flour or potato flour prior to including it to your soup at: Just how to Prepare Nigerian Soups with Flour as Thickener.
- Ogiri Igbo is optional, it provides Bitterleaf Soup a conventional preference.
Prior to you prepare Bitterleaf Soup
- Make certain that the bitter fallen leaves are well cleaned, such that there is no trace of anger left. Otherwise, laundry and also capture it much more. If the anger can not be entirely cleaned off (which is generally the instance with the majority of cleaned bitter fallen leaves marketed on the market), steam it for concerning 15 mins and also laundry in cool water.
- Laundry and also prepare the cocoyam till soft. Eliminate the peels and also utilize a mortar and also pestle to batter the corms to a smooth paste (as revealed).
Food Preparation Instructions
- Steam the shaki (cow tripe), supply fish and also completely dry fish in 1 litre of water till they are well done. Very first indication of a done shaki is that the cuts will certainly begin crinkling on itself.
- Laundry the beef and also include in the pot of shaki etc. and also proceed food preparation. When the meat is done, include 3 dices of Maggi/Knorr and also chef for 5 mins.
- Include pepper, ground crayfish, bitter fallen leaves (if they have actually not been parboiled) and also chef for 10 mins. After that include the cocoyam paste (in tiny swellings) and also the hand oil after that most likely to tip 5. Note: If the bitter fallen leaves were parboiled to eliminate the anger, after that for action 3; include pepper, ground crayfish, the cocoyam paste (in tiny swellings), the bitter fallen leaves and also the hand oil. Simply put, include all the components at this phase.
- Cover the pot and also entrust to prepare over warm till all the cocoyam swellings have actually liquified. You can include even more water if you really feel that the soup is also thick.
- Include salt to preference and also the soup prepares
Offer with Garri (Eba), Semolina Fufu, Amala, Cassava Fufu or Pounded Yam.
Read more: how to make nigeria vegetable soup