Sharing is caring!
Learn how to cook turkey drumsticks (gravy included). Roasting turkey legs in the oven couldn’t be easier – just a few ingredients for a delicious festive meal.
Do you feel that cooking a whole turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas might be too much for your family? Turkeys usually come in extra-large, and one whole bird can be too much if your family is small. How about cooking this turkey drumstick recipe? Tender meat smothered in the most fantastic sauce made with roasting juices and vegetables.
But just in case you want a whole bird, have a look at the Dutch Oven Turkey or the Red Wine Turkey. And use the leftovers to make Turkey Fricassee, Leftover Turkey Risotto, or Leftover Turkey Lasagna.
Why you will love this recipe?
- Simple: A basic recipe for cooking turkey drumsticks. Brown and simmer shortly on the stove, transfer to the oven.
- Budget recipe using just a few simple ingredients. Drumsticks are much cheaper than a whole turkey, and the remaining ingredients are super cheap as well. A delicious Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner without overstretching your budget.
- Great for a small family. You can scale the recipe up or down the way you need to.
- Gravy included.
- Turkey drumsticks: large ones weighing about 1 lb/500 g each.
- Vegetables: Onion, garlic, carrots, celeriac (or 2-3 celery sticks depending on size), bell pepper, garlic. The veggies will be smothered with the legs, and you will need them to make the gravy.
- Stock: I use homemade turkey stock most of the time. Bought or homemade chicken stock is fine, but if you buy it, make sure you get low-sodium to avoid overly salted dishes.
- Spices: salt, ground black pepper, sweet paprika.
- Other ingredients: vegetable oil and one tablespoon tomato paste.
- Large ovenproof pot with a lid. A Dutch oven would be perfect, but another heavy-bottomed pot is fine.
- Prepare turkey: Dry turkey drumsticks with kitchen paper and season them generously with salt, pepper, and sweet paprika powder (1).
- Brown and simmer: Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or another large ovenproof dish. Brown the meat on all sides (2).
- Simmer: Add 1 cup of the chicken stock, cover, and cook gently on the stovetop for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit/ 200 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare vegetables while the drumsticks are simmering. Whisk the tomato paste in the remaining ¼ cup stock. Add both to the pot. Cover the pot (3).
- Bake covered for 35 minutes.
- Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes until the skin is crispy and the internal temperature of the meat is 170 degrees Fahrenheit/ 77 degrees Celsius (4).
- Transfer meat to a large platter and let rest for about 15 minutes. In the meantime, make the gravy.
How to make the gravy?
- Remove about 1/3 of the vegetables from the pan and set them aside.
- Blend the remaining veggies until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, but only if necessary. If the stock was salty enough, you might not need to add anything anymore.
Recipe FAQ and Expert Tips
More festive turkey recipes:
Please see more list about Best roast turkey leg recipe