This pineapple chicken recipe is like making takeout at home with a deliciously sweet and tangy sauce that perfectly coats the tender chicken, onions, red peppers, and pineapple pieces.
Calling all pineapple lovers! If you’re into pineapple, chances are that you’ll enjoy this recipe. If you’ve got picky eaters at home, I also have a feeling that they will like this one.
If you’re wondering how to make pineapple chicken, it’s pretty simple. This is one of those recipes where it’s easiest if you prep everything before turning on the stove. Mix the sauce ingredients together then set them aside. Chop the veggies. Coat the chicken in the garlic powder, salt, and cornstarch (this adds extra flavor and the cornstarch helps the chicken brown on the outside and stay tender inside). You then fry the chicken in two batches (that way they brown up nicely and don’t steam by being too crowded). The pineapple and veggies are then cooked for a few minutes, the chicken is added back to the pan, and the sauce is added. The cornstarch magically thickens it up pretty quickly, and then you’re ready to serve!
You may also like my Pineapple Shrimp Skewers.
Recipe notes & tips:
- I buy the canned pineapple that’s unsweetened (packed in its own juice).
- This recipe does have a fair bit of pineapple, so feel free to use a bit less if you want (like if you want just a taste). The pineapple juice in the sauce is from the cans of pineapple. Two 8-ounce cans or one 20-ounce can should have enough juice, but if it isn’t enough, just top it up with water until you reach the 3/4 cup needed for the recipe.
- You can use fresh pineapple, but you’ll likely need to buy pineapple juice separately (for the sauce) if you go that route.
- If you want the sauce to be a little less sweet, cut the honey down from the 3 tablespoons to 1.5-2.
- Feel free to swap the chicken breasts with chicken thighs!
- This recipe is much easier when you have tongs to quickly turn the chicken. I also love my splatter guard – it makes clean-up easier.
What to serve with pineapple chicken?
Read more: Southern Fried Deer Steak | Family Cuisine
Try rice or noodles!
Other Asian-inspired chicken recipes to try:
- Easy Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Honey Chicken
Let me know if you’ve made this easy pineapple chicken recipe! Questions? Let me know in the comments.
Made one of my recipes? Tag me #saltandlavender on Instagram.