Ever tried freezing soup in a glass jar and wound up with cracked jars? Comply with these superb ideas for freezing and thawing soup in mason jars and also you gained’t discover any extra cracks. Promise!
A number of weeks in the past, I requested buddy of mine if she’d love to do a soup making day with me. She mentioned she might and because the day drew nearer, we began texting about what sort of soup we’d make and the way we’d retailer it within the freezer. I instructed her I’d be utilizing mason jars since I had success with freezing rooster broth in mason jars a number of months in the past.
The following textual content from my buddy went like this:
“I froze some soup in mason jars once and the glass cracked.”
Say what??! Her response stunned me. I didn’t even comprehend it was potential for the glass to crack as a result of it had by no means occurred to me. All I had ever learn on-line have been success tales of freezing broth and soup in mason jars.
I can completely think about being in her footwear, opening my freezer and grabbing a jar of soup solely to search out that the glass has cracked. What a waste! I’d assume, immediately adopted by, Now what are we going to have for dinner?!
Regardless that she instructed me of her misfortune, it by no means occurred to me that there can be useful info on this very matter on-line. So I didn’t do any analysis. I simply figured I’d do the identical factor I did the final time I froze broth within the mason jars.
However, my buddy? She had no need to search out one other jar of cracked glass in her freezer, so she did her analysis earlier than soup making day rolled round.
After we acquired collectively for our soup making day, she introduced her mason jars over together with all of the elements for her soups. When her soup was prepared, she adopted the information she’d discovered on-line religiously as she stuffed the jars. Then when she acquired house, she caught to these ideas once more as she ready to freeze them.
I did just a little of my very own analysis earlier than I really caught the jars of soup within the freezer, however I actually ought to have performed some earlier than I made the soup, like my buddy.
It’s been practically per week since we froze our soup in mason jars, and she or he hasn’t texted me with any unhealthy information but. I believe we’re each within the clear and might say that our on-line analysis paid off. Now I’d wish to share every thing we realized right here so you are able to do the identical.
Earlier than we transfer on, I believed I’d point out that I’ve one other put up about one of the best ways to freeze soup so that you don’t waste any of it. I wrote it over 2 years in the past and I nonetheless stand by it. Nonetheless, I do assume that freezing soup in mason jars is true up there with it. The draw back, I believe, is that you need to observe all these “rules” and thawing the soup in mason jars can take a complete lot longer than in case you simply did it the opposite means.
Freezing Soup in Glass vs. Plastic
However let’s begin from the very starting earlier than digging into the method. Why would anybody wish to retailer their soup or broth in glass within the freezer once they can retailer it in plastic freezer baggage?
That’s really a really legitimate query. The principle cause is well being issues. Glass is non-toxic whereas plastic is, properly, poisonous.
Read more: how to make applebee’s french onion soup
One other concern is that plastic can solely be used a number of occasions earlier than you throw it away, however glass might be reused lots of, if not hundreds, of occasions (except, after all, it breaks).
I’ve chosen to make use of mason jars to freeze my soup for a special cause, despite the fact that the opposite causes are fairly convincing. I like the truth that one quart-size mason jar holds simply sufficient soup to feed my household for one meal if I serve the soup with one thing else like sandwiches. My household consists of two adults and three youngsters (ages 5, 3, and 1). Clearly as my youngsters develop we’re going to wish not less than two jars per meal.
Earlier than you begin making soup for the freezer, that you must know which soups are well-suited for it, and which of them simply aren’t. I are inclined to observe two common guidelines:
- Soups which are starch-based gained’t style superb after being frozen. If the soup has rice, noodles, or potatoes (besides candy potatoes) you’ll want to freeze these meals separate from the soup. You would additionally prepare dinner the starch individually and add it to the soup when reheating.
- Soups which are dairy-based will even not style nice after being frozen. If the soup requires cheese, milk, bitter cream, heavy cream, and so forth. add it when reheating moderately than freezing it with the soup.
Simply so that you perceive, I’ll record some soups beneath and point out whether or not they’re freezer-friendly or not and why:
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – NOT freezer-friendly as a result of it has milk, heavy cream, and cheese
- Tomato Soup – Freezer-friendly except it requires milk (however you’ll be able to freeze it with out and add when reheating)
- Rooster Noodle Soup – NOT freezer-friendly except you allow the noodles out and add them when reheating
- Break up Pea Soup – Freezer-friendly (in case your recipe requires potatoes, depart them out and add when reheating)
Methods to Freeze and Thaw Soup in Mason Jars
Now let’s get on with the method of freezing the soup in mason jars.
If you find yourself able to fill the jars…
After getting made your scrumptious pot of soup (or two!), there are some things you are able to do to make sure that the mason jars you utilize don’t crack as soon as you place them within the freezer.
- Cool the soup within the fridge first (within the pot) earlier than filling the jars
- As soon as the soup has cooled down you’ll be able to fill the jars
- Use extensive mouth jars since their shoulders will not be as pronounced as common mouth jars and they’re simpler to fill
- Depart some room on the high of every jar (2 inches is an efficient rule of thumb) for growth within the freezer
- Should you solely have common mouth jars, depart much more room for growth
- Keep away from utilizing simply any glass jar you’ve got mendacity round your own home (i.e. jars that when contained spaghetti sauce or jam) as a result of they’re not as sturdy as actual mason jars
To make issues a bit simpler when filling your jars with soup, you need to use a ladle and a funnel.
As soon as the jars are stuffed…
As soon as all of your jars are stuffed, it’s a good suggestion to place them in your fridge in a single day to chill down fully.
Earlier than freezing, be sure to label every jar with freezer tape, masking tape, and even washi tape. You possibly can put the date that you simply made the soup or the date 3 months from then (I exploit the expiration date technique so I do know when to make use of my meals by). And, lastly, don’t overlook to label every jar with the soup’s identify.
The second you’ve been ready for…
Whenever you put the jars within the freezer, do the next for crack-free jars:
- Depart the lid a bit free or simply put the flat a part of the lid on till the jars are fully frozen
- Depart some area in between jars (in case you’re taking a look at my photos, do as I say, not as I do)
Whenever you wish to eat your soup…
If you find yourself prepared to make use of a jar of soup, right here’s what that you must know as you thaw it to be able to forestall cracking, as a result of, sure, the jar can crack when going from an excessive chilly temperature to a really heat one.
There are typically 3 methods you’ll be able to thaw a mason jar stuffed with soup.
- You possibly can take the jar out of the freezer 1-3 days forward of while you’ll want it and thaw it within the fridge.
- You possibly can place the jar in cool water (both in your kitchen sink or in a pot) and alter the water each half-hour.
- As soon as the soup has thawed on the outer edges, you’ll be able to dump all the contents of the jar right into a pot and let it thaw rapidly over medium low warmth on the range.
Phew! Should you made it this far with your personal soup, you probably did it! And you’ll inform all your folks about it, too!
I made a video so that you can watch proper right here or you’ll be able to watch it beneath.
You see? Freezing and thawing soup in mason jars generally is a little bit of a course of in case you’ve by no means performed it earlier than, however when you strive it, chances are you’ll by no means return to freezing soup every other means!
Nicely, it occurred. I acquired in my freezer this morning and located a cracked mason jar stuffed with soup. Now, earlier than you get all “I’m not gonna freeze soup in mason jars, then” on me, simply hear me out.
It was all my fault. I knew all the information above (for 1 1/2 years now), and I didn’t observe all of them.
I acquired cocky.
I knew full properly earlier than I put that soup within the freezer that it might crack, however I used to be over-confident. I merely thought, “Oh, it’s not gonna crack.”
I had been storing the soup in my fridge for a number of days earlier than I made a decision to stay it within the freezer. My intent was to serve the soup to my household earlier than I needed to put it within the freezer, however we simply didn’t get round to consuming it.
I figured it wouldn’t crack as a result of I adopted many of the guidelines: 1) After I went to place it within the freezer it was already chilly and a pair of) I used to be utilizing a large mouth mason jar.
The tip I didn’t observe, although, was in all probability an important one: “Leave some room at the top of each jar (2 inches is a good rule of thumb) for expansion in the freezer.” There was perhaps ½ inch of room on the high, undoubtedly not sufficient room for growth.
So, there you’ve got it. Should you resolve to disregard one of many ideas above, you may simply discover a cracked jar of soup in your freezer!
One other factor I wished to convey up is the truth that you should buy jars particularly for freezing. I by no means have as a result of I nearly all the time have further mason jars to make use of for storing my soup within the freezer. However in case you are frightened that your jars may crack, take into account shopping for freezer jars. They’re plastic, so if that’s a priority, your higher wager is the glass mason jars. Since I’ve by no means used freezer jars, I gained’t be leaving a hyperlink, however you will discover them on Amazon for certain.
Read more: Crab Soup