My family loves the sweet and tangy taste of Teriyaki Sauce. In fact, whenever possible I will order Teriyaki at a restaurant too. This Homemade Sauce is ideal and so much better than anything you would buy in the stores.
While I do enjoy bottled here and there, this recipe is so easy and quick that I prefer making it myself.
Reading: how to do teriyaki sauce
4 Servings | Perfect as a Sauce | 6 Qt Instant Pot
With only 6 ingredients this Teriyaki Sauce recipe is easy to throw together and because it’s homemade, you know exactly what’s going in it!
You can make this Teriyaki Sauce on the stove top and inside of your Instant Pot depending on your preference. As you can imagine, it’s a little quicker in the Instant Pot (under 10 minutes).
Easy to Make
How many times do you run to the store or eat a bland dinner because you wanted a teriyaki glazed dish and the bottle you thought was in the fridge, was long gone?
I can’t be the only one to think something is there and plan a meal only to realize you have to make a sudden last minute change?
With this homemade teriyaki sauce recipe you can laugh at those stressful moments and enjoy your meal the way you planned.
You may even find that you enjoy your meal better this way!
This has happened to me more than I care to admit. It’s a joke in the house and making Teriyaki is always a option when I’m missing ingredients for other recipes.
With only 6 ingredients, this recipe is so quick and easy to throw together while veggies are sautéing, or chicken is grilling.
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce really only takes 10 minutes (on the stove, even less in the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker)
Ingredients for Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 Cup water
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 4 Tbls Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbls Honey *Heaping
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tbls Corn Starch
How to Make Teriyaki Sauce ~ Stove Top Directions
- In a sauce pan combine water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ginger and garlic. In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup water with corn starch and add to your sauce pan. Over medium/high head stir constantly.
- As it gets warmer you will notice as you scrape the bottom of the pan the sauce getting thicker. Keep stirring! Soon the dark liquid will turn more opaque and thicken.
- Bring to a slow rolling boil and allow to boil for 2 minutes. Then remove from heat. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Store excess sauce in the refrigerator for later use.
How to Make Teriyaki Sauce ~Instant Pot Directions
- Dump COLD water, soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, ginger and garlic in your Instant Pot and stir.
- In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup COLD water with 2 Tbs cornstarch and add it to the Instant Pot at stir.
- Close the lid and set to Manual (Pressure Cook) High for 0 (Zero) minutes. Yes you read that right. Use the -/+ button and adjust down to 0. The Instant Pot will pressure up cooking the sauce and then stop.
- Release the pressure and open the lid and stir. Don’t forget to unplug or turn your Instant Pot off. You don’t need any more heat on the sauce. It’s the perfect thickness and ready to eat.
How to Use Teriyaki Sauce
Now that I’ve shown you have easy it can be to make this delicious sauce, I want to make sure you know how to use it.
As I stir fry up veggies I will add this homemade sauce towards the end and give a quick saute. It’s a quick favorite for use.
A Simple Rice bowl is also a favorite of my picky eater. With plain white rice he will pour his sauce on top. Yum! Also, here’s a fun Japanese Ginger Salad Dressing Recipe. It’s a favorite!
Teriyaki Sauce is also perfect on noodles! Who knew! Japanese noodles are the best.
Make some of your own with this recipe. You will be forever changed, I promise.
I often make Teriyaki Chicken or Teriyaki Beef too. Both are tried and true recipes that are excellent and kid approved.
Like what you see? PIN for later!
We know you like this recipe, so how about other great recipes?
- Teriyaki Chicken Fingers
- Ginger Salad Dressing
- Japanese Rice Bowl
- Teriyaki Noodles
- Chicken Stir Fry
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Mongolian Beef
- Cashew Chicken
- Lettuce Chicken Wraps
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Meatballs