Have you ever heard of congee, jook or rice porridge? All three names consult with the identical factor: in its easiest kind, it’s simply rice and water simmered collectively for hours. Congee is a really versatile dish. Consistencies range from thick and creamy to skinny and broth-like. It may be plain, or flavoured by cooking the rice in inventory, and it may be cooked with substances or fillings like meat or fish. To not point out, it goes effectively with numerous toppings and aspect dishes.
Congee is a staple in lots of Asian nations. Sorts and toppings range from nation to nation and from area to area. It makes a beautiful breakfast, satisfying lunch, comforting dinner or late night time snack. To me, it’s my final consolation meals. It’s what I crave once I really feel underneath the climate or once I simply miss dwelling. This straightforward rice porridge is definitely digested. Chinese language medication believes that congee offers our digestion a break which promotes therapeutic within the physique. And congee, in a thinner kind or simply the liquid strained from it, is normally the primary meals given to infants.
Reading: how to eat korean porridge
Suggestions for Consuming Congee:
- Congee retains warmth for fairly a very long time, so it’s best consumed with a ceramic or porcelain Chinese language spoon at a slower tempo so that you don’t burn your mouth.
- For those who can’t look ahead to the congee to chill down, skim off the good, prime layer of congee together with your Chinese language spoon and information it into your mouth. Repeat, repeat…and repeat once more.
- Many various substances can go into in a congee. Among the hottest substances embody: mince, hen, (contemporary or dried) seafood, preserved egg (thousand 12 months outdated egg).
- For the reason that rice porridge is generally soupy and tender, many individuals like so as to add a crispy ingredient to it for some textural distinction. I’m keen on including slices of fried bread stick or porridge chips to my congee.
- You may as well gown your congee up with these conventional garnishes: soy sauce, chopped inexperienced onions, white pepper, sesame oil, or pork floss.
- Congee is soup-like so you possibly can pair it with some aspect dishes to fill your stomach. Listed below are a few of my favorite Chinese language aspect dishes to go together with congee: fried bread sticks, soy sauce fried noodles, sticky rice dumplings, steamed rice noodle rolls (additionally referred to as cheong enjoyable in Cantonese).
- However all in all, the fantastic thing about congee is there isn’t a proper or improper technique to eat it!
Did You Know?
- Congee in Hong Kong is usually spiked with numerous substances and a few congee has attention-grabbing names too. For instance, 艇仔粥 (literal translation: sampan or small boat congee) is one with squid, fried pork pores and skin, and floor meat.
- You may make plain congee a day or two forward, and retailer it within the fridge. Everytime you want it, simply deliver it to boil and pop in some desired substances, like marinated mince or leftover roasted hen.
- It’s essential to stir the congee each 10-Quarter-hour whereas cooking to forestall burning of the rice on the underside. If scorched, you possibly can kiss the entire pot goodbye.
- Rice porridge is available in many alternative names and is served with numerous substances around the globe. There are, for instance, lugaw within the Philippines, chào gà in Vietnam, okayu in Japan, and juk in Korea.
Read more: how to reduce acidity in tomato soup
Take a look at this video on how congee is made with copper pots and uncooked meat substances in Hong Kong. The chef used an enormous pot of plain congee as the bottom too.
Congee, Meals, Meals Information, Hong Kong, Jook, Rice Porridge
Read more: Simple Scottish Tattie Soup Recipe